Thread: My Split

kn0bbme is offline Associate Member

My Split

Im getting back into the gym after some time off. I have just got a new job and need to rework my split.
    I used to go M-F.
    M-Chest
    T-Back
    W-Legs
    Th-Shoulders
    F-Bis & Tris
    Since I got my new job and started playing hockey again I can't go to the gym Monday and Saturday and I play hockey late wens night. How should I go about my split?
    On a side note: I am 22 5'11 and about 185lbs prob inbetween 12 and 15 body fat (just a wild guess though, I am not chubby at all) I want to bulk for the rest of the winter months. How should I organize my split.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Fortunately you are only asking for a split, and not critique so therefore I can answer without tearing my hair out because of repeating myself...

M chest (front delts auto + 2x military press), tris, medial delts
    T rest
    W back (rear delts auto), bis & forearms
    T rest
    F legs and calves

Refer to these recent threads for the exact explanations of this routine and various problems with ones like yours

http://67.18.108.244/showthread.php?t=208328

http://67.18.108.244/showthread.php?t=208285

http://67.18.108.244/showthread.php?t=208033

http://67.18.108.244/showthread.php?t=208541

Gd luck bro, the three day split should help you if your new job is more demanding or you can only go to the gym certain days
    Last edited by Flexor; 11-29-2005 at 04:42 PM.

Really appreciate the reply.

How does this look

Sunday (Chest, Tris, Medial Delts)
    Flat Bench 3 Sets
    Flat Guiloteen 3 Sets
    Flat Flies 3 Sets
    Dips 3 Sets
    Dumbell Tricep Extension 3 Sets
    Cable Rope Pushdown 3 Sets
    Lateral Raises (either cable or dumbell) 3 Sets
    (I don't know what you meant with 2x military press, should i do 2 sets of military press after dips? before Dips?)

Tues (Back, Bis, Forearms)
    Pull Ups 3 Sets
    Seated High Row 3 Sets
    Incline Row 3 Sets
    Deadlifts 3 Sets
    Barbell Curl 3 Sets
    Incline Supinating Dumbell Curls 3 Sets
    Preacher Curl Machine 3 Sets
    Shrugs 4-6 Sets

Thurs (Legs, Calves)
    Gonna give swoles leg workout a try but do my calves first.

Please let me know if I have to much of anything to little or whatever. I really want to see my lats and chest grow.
    Last edited by kn0bbme; 11-29-2005 at 07:46 PM.

Flexor is offline Banned
    I think you have structured your workout quite well. I think with the guillotine you may not need flies, so see how your chest feels after just doing the guillotine. They work the fibres in exactly the same way and also keep tension on them at the top of the movement unlike flies. You need to try the guillotine out first to see if it is for you. I use it sparingly at the end of my chest workout at low weight as if it were flies and i've seen good results. It may not be best for you though, because it is tough on the shoulders. Most would do incline instead, but I don't feel it in my upper pec much and more in the shoulders so I choose to do guillotine.

Put the 2x military presses with the 3x lateral raises, as these are you shoulder exercises. Use dbs for laterals, instead maybe try some one arm incline raises as this keeps much more tension on the medial delt throughout the ROM. So you can either do the militaries and laterals before or after triceps, I say after!!, because the militaries will work your triceps before you can hit them effectively with the skulls or db overhead extensions. And dips also before these things.

Try the preacher curl bench instead of machine. Try 3/4 sets of shrugs, it will be enough after 3 sets of deads. You could drop the incline rows for underhand bent over bb rows to work your lats or for db rows. With your pullups, allow your shoulder girdle (or other words your shoulder blades etc), allow it to stretch out at the bottom but without going slack, and pull downwards to retract your shoulder blades before you begin to pull downwards with your arms. This will engage your midback and lats more before your arms come into play.

Otherwise, excellent routine man, hope this helps you finalise it. Its really nice to have a break between three very hard workout days and doing legs on the friday will mean they are almost fully recovered by back day and will not interfere with your deads.
    Last edited by Flexor; 11-30-2005 at 04:35 AM.

Once again I really appreciate the reply.

How does this look any better (minor changes)

Sunday (Chest, Tris, Medial Delts)
    Flat Bench 3 Sets
    Flat Guiloteen 3 Sets Or Incline DB Press 3 Sets
    Flat Flies 3 Sets
    Dips 3 Sets
    Dumbell Tricep Extension 3 Sets
    Cable Rope Pushdown 3 Sets
    Standing/Seated Barbell Military Press 2 Sets
    DB Lateral Raises 3 Sets

Tues (Back, Bis, Forearms)
    Pull Ups 3 Sets
    Seated High Row 3 Sets
    Db Rows 3 Sets
    Deadlifts 3 Sets
    Barbell Curl 3 Sets
    Incline Supinating Dumbell Curls 3 Sets
    Preacher Curl Machine 3 Sets
    Shrugs 4-6 Sets

Thurs (Legs, Calves)
    Gonna give swoles leg workout a try but do my calves first.

How come you don't see a need for a decline press on chest day alot of people will to upper chest with incline and nothing for the lower chest?

Flexor is offline Banned
    Good workout

Forget decline press because it is not enough of a variant of flat bench. Dips however, is basically like a decline press taken to the extreme. It is like doing bench presses with your head on the floor and your feet pointing to the ceiling, so if you imagine it like that, it is more of a variation on the flat bench and is totally focusing on the lower pec. That is the reason why it is so good for the lower pec and is better than decline.

Dips is specifically for lower chest and will not work the upper much. Now go and do this routine and see how it goes for you.

One last question
    On back days i am working the rear delts/ On chest days i am working the front delts, side delts with lateral rasies. what are the presses for mass. everyone i speak two swears that you need to do at least 3 shoulder presses for size. whats your opinion?

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kn0bbme
    One last question
    On back days i am working the rear delts/ On chest days i am working the front delts, side delts with lateral rasies. what are the presses for mass. everyone i speak two swears that you need to do at least 3 shoulder presses for size. whats your opinion?
    My opinion is that bench presses are very effective at building the front delts. If you can bench press 300lbs but can only shoulder press 150, then bench pressing will work your shoulders far harder. I find that 2 sets of military presses is plenty after 10-12 sets of hard chest work!!! Often people have overly enlarged front delts because they do military presses as well as loads of chest work. You have to find a balance. If your shoulders do not feel worked by the chest work or they are small, then feel free to do more military presses!

Thanks well see how the shoulders feel sunday. Tomorrow is legs.

Thread Information