Thread: Deadlifts

D9S0M is offline Associate Member

Deadlifts

Hey guys i was just wondering when u guys deadlift does the bar hit ur shins on the way up...like after deadlifting tonite my shins are pretty red,i try and keep the bar as close to my body as possible and usally the bar rides up on my shin..am i doin them wrong or is this normal thanks guys..

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Alot of people drag it against their shins... but you don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tate
    Mistake #6: Keeping the shins too close to the bar

I'm not too sure where this started but I have a pretty good idea. Many times the taller, thinner lifters are the best pullers and they do start with the bar very close to their shins. But if you look at them from the sides they still have their shoulders behind the bar when they pull. This is just not possible to achieve with a thicker lifter.

If a thicker lifter with a large amount of body mass — be it muscle or fat — were to line the bar up with his shins, you'd see he would have an impossible time getting the shoulders behind the bar. Remember you need to pull the bar back toward you, not out and away from you. So what I believe happens is many lifters look to those who have great deadlifts to see how they pull, then try to do the same themselves. What they need to do is look to those who are built the same way they are and have great deadlifts and follow their lead.

TEXAS is offline Junior Member
    behinde the bar means on my side or the other side Blown_SC????

"" if you look at them from the sides they still have their shoulders behind the bar when they pull.""

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by TEXAS
    behinde the bar means on my side or the other side Blown_SC????

"" if you look at them from the sides they still have their shoulders behind the bar when they pull.""
    I believe he means that from a side view, your shoulders will be behind the bar. Think of looking to the side, in a mirror, to check your technique. Hope that helps.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by D9S0M
    Hey guys i was just wondering when u guys deadlift does the bar hit ur shins on the way up...like after deadlifting tonite my shins are pretty red,i try and keep the bar as close to my body as possible and usally the bar rides up on my shin..am i doin them wrong or is this normal thanks guys..
    I tall and thin so my shins always take a beating when I deadlift. Throwing some workout pants on, during deadlifts, helps eliminate the cut-up shins.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by striker93
    I tall and thin so my shins always take a beating when I deadlift. Throwing some workout pants on, during deadlifts, helps eliminate the cut-up shins.
    Even at 5'8", the bar bearly clears my shins when I keep the bar close. I can imagine being 6' and over would be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by striker93
    I believe he means that from a side view, your shoulders will be behind the bar. Think of looking to the side, in a mirror, to check your technique. Hope that helps.
    Yes, on the body-side of the bar...

TEXAS is offline Junior Member
    striker93 + blown _sc

I highly thank you brothers..

that behinde the bar tech, HELPED ME A LOT ....WOW WOW WOW

" THANKS AGAIN "

Quote Originally Posted by TEXAS
    striker93 + blown _sc

I highly thank you brothers..

that behinde the bar tech, HELPED ME A LOT ....WOW WOW WOW

" THANKS AGAIN "
    Good to hear buddy...

Darkness is offline Member
    I'm 6'1 and dont hit my shins with it. I have however bumped them on the way down sometimes.

kloter1 is offline Southern Steel Bodybuilding
    ive never had the bar touch my legs. i do a mix of a straight leg lift and a regular dead.

Thread Information