KingMike is offline Associate Member

Incredible shrinking upper back?

It seems that over the course of the last couple years that my upper back has gotten smaller. I am not a big guy but it used to fill my shirt out alot more. It all started when I added deads and squats to my routine. I do about 6-8 sets for lats and 5-6 rowing movements followed my 2-3 sets of deads. My middle back seems to growing out of proportion. What am I doing wrong?

Flexor is offline Banned
    Sounds like you've got a good back routine there, good basic exercises and no overtraining.

Perhaps focus on back and front shrugs, db and bb and maybe some upright rows to add to your upper trap fibres. You want a good thick mid back dont worry about that, just try to add to your upper.

Thanks man. I did used to do upright rows alot and have not done tem too much. That could be the problem. I have always done those along with 2 db shrugs SS with 2 bb shruds. All 4 sets followed by 3 sets of upright rows in the 9-12 range. I do these on a seperate shoulder day. I used to pund my shoulders and even though I only ate about 2200 calories a day, they lookes very good and did grow. I have read about overtraining and it made me afraid so I dropped the colume on shoulders and dropped the upright rows and only 3 sets of db shrugs. maybee it was overtraining to some but did me well. Thanks again, I am going to back to what feels good too me. Do you think that 3 sets of military presses followed by 4 sets lat. raises prior to the up. rows and shrugs is overkill?

Flexor is offline Banned
    As long as you train hard with the sets you do, you will sufficiently damage your muscles for growth without overtaxing the CNS and causing lactic buildup. Shrugs will not work your deltoids but will work your traps, so you can include upright rows for medials followed by shrugs.

Try 3 x military press, 2 x upright row, 2 x lateral raises, 2 x db shrugs, 2 x front bb shrugs

This will sort your lateral deltoids nicely, and since upright rows and lateral raises will work your traps, the 4 sets of shrugs would be enough. If you were doing deadlifts on this day, then I would say only 2 sets of shrugs or none at all, but I think with the way you have it its fine. 4 shrugs in total plus 2 x upright row + laterals will give you a great trap workout and shoulder workout without overtraining.

Thank you very much, you have indeed helped me out. I di chest Monday and usually do 9-10 sets. I did 13 sets plus 2 sets st. arm pullovers. Was really sore the following day but got a good pump. Does that seem like overkill for chest? The chest is not really as big as people think. I feel the back and legs can take 12+ sets or more but I am not sure about chest....Thanks again

Flexor is offline Banned
    You are right!! The chest is a small muscle and is nothing compared to the lats or even traps. One thing I would say about stiff arm pullovers is that your shoulders are externally rotated. This means you will be using more lats than pecs. You see dips are done with the shoulders internally rotated, and this works the pecs but the lats a little. Pullups are exactly like pullovers, in that they work the lats, but this time only the pecs a little because of the external rotation.

So IMO pullovers are a weak exercise and do not stress the chest enough through a full range. Underhand narrow pullups is exactly the same motion as stiff arm pullovers except your arms bend. Therefore if you feel nothing from those type of pullups in your pecs, you will feel nothing from pullovers. You won't be able to use much mass in pullovers either, which will further reduce their effectiveness.

I personally do 9 sets for chest and find that is plenty, afterall they are only a small muscle its just that it covers a large area and this gives the impression of size. If we talk volume, the pecs are probably not much bigger than the triceps!

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    I have heard pros quote that deads, flatten the traps, Cottrell Porter i think it was, but never thought any thing of it, maybe there is the exceptional person...

Thread Information