en1222 is offline Member

Ammonia Smelling Sweat..Too Much Protein!!!!

Lately, When i do intense cardio my sweat smells like ammonia... I shower everyday and use deodrant and drink alot of water. This just started to happen.. I read a few other threads about this...
    I read in a article that too much protein can cause this?
    Could this also be the fact that I take a BCAA caps before i workout should i cut them out?
    I also read that adding more carbs can help this?

Gabe Mirkin, M.D.

http://www.drmirkin.com/morehealth/1072.html
    "When you take in more protein than your body can use immediately, your body strips ammonia from protein to make you smell like ammonia."

http://www.drmirkin.com/archive/6187.html
    "Many weightlifters eat tremendous amounts of protein because they mistakenly think that it will make them stronger. The food you eat contains carbohydrates, fats and proteins. Of the three, only protein contains nitrogen. The body has no way to store extra protein, so when you take in more protein than your body needs, your liver knocks nitrogen off the protein and the nitrogen is eventually converted to ammonia and passes through the sweat glands and kidneys."

Flexor is offline Banned
    This is a diet question! There is a separate forum, you are more likely to get answered there.

en1222 is offline Member
    Acutally i put it here because it happens when i workout.. I will post it there also..

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    If you smell like Ammonia you may have a liver problem. Just to be certain I would head to the doc and get a blood test right away. When you consume large amounts of protein, it's only natural that some of that protein will be used for energy during the day. As the amio's are deanimated, nitrogen is stripped from the amio's and ammonia is released in the blood stream. The ammonia is then transported to the liver where the it gets converted into urea, the kindneys then filter the urea out of the blood and into urine. However what cannot be excreted at that time will be excreted through sweat, and this will smell like ammonia.

Which is why you need to drink plenty of water.

en1222 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    If you smell like Ammonia you may have a liver problem. Just to be certain I would head to the doc and get a blood test right away. When you consume large amounts of protein, it's only natural that some of that protein will be used for energy during the day. As the amio's are deanimated, nitrogen is stripped from the amio's and ammonia is released in the blood stream. The ammonia is then transported to the liver where the it gets converted into urea, the kindneys then filter the urea out of the blood and into urine. However what cannot be excreted at that time will be excreted through sweat, and this will smell like ammonia.

Which is why you need to drink plenty of water.

I thought that it can just be caused be too much protein and can be fixed by consuming more carbs and alittle less protien.. Yes i did read that ammonia could be an side effect of liver disease but it is not always the reason for it.. Are you saying the underluying cause is always liver disease?
    I just went for bloodwork 2 months ago and everything was ok.. I am going on Sat anyway. When i noticed it about two months ago i have been consuming alot more protein than normal.. Please let me know because i have not read that anywhere and i am alittle scared now

Quote Originally Posted by en1222
    I thought that it can just be caused be too much protein and can be fixed by consuming more carbs and alittle less protien.. Yes i did read that ammonia could be an side effect of liver disease but it is not always the reason for it.. Are you saying the underluying cause is always liver disease?
    I just went for bloodwork 2 months ago and everything was ok.. I am going on Sat anyway. When i noticed it about two months ago i have been consuming alot more protein than normal.. Please let me know because i have not read that anywhere and i am alittle scared now

Then I highly highly doubt you have any liver issues. Again just maybe cut back on some protein and up your water intake. Try drinking nothing but water for a few days, cut back on protein a bit and I bet you'll be more than fine.

en1222 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    Then I highly highly doubt you have any liver issues. Again just maybe cut back on some protein and up your water intake. Try drinking nothing but water for a few days, cut back on protein a bit and I bet you'll be more than fine.

Thanks bro... I am cutting back 2-3 protein shakes a day and i am increasing my water intake from 1 1/2 gallons to 2 1/2 gallons a day... I will let you know my results once i get them...I will also increase my low GI carbs a bit based on article from bodybuiling

Quote Originally Posted by en1222
    Thanks bro... I am cutting back 2-3 protein shakes a day and i am increasing my water intake from 1 1/2 gallons to 2 1/2 gallons a day... I will let you know my results once i get them...I will also increase my low GI carbs a bit based on article from bodybuiling

2 1/2 might be a bit much, try 2 at first and see how it goes. This is fairly common question and I have seen it a few times before, no worries bro.

is it your sweat or is it your t shirt/ training top that smells? i have the same problem but it only happens when my traionng top gets wet from sweat. when its dry its fine, but when i sweat it smells. then hen i take it off and smell myself, i smell fine, not ammonia-y

i figured it was coz i was training, my t shirt was absorbing my sweat. then i wasnt washing them for a few days so i could wash them all together at the end of the week. that meant that mondays to shirt was fermenting for 4-5 days on the floor while it waited to be washed

put them in a hot wash, thats what i have done and it may take 2 or 3 times, but it kinda helps them. still get it a wee bit though

let us know!!!

en1222 is offline Member
    It is def when i sweat.. As soon as i start i can smell it..

even wen u use a nu t shirt??

try training at home, just to make urself sweat, like run up and down stairs or sumthing, with no top on. c if u can still smell it then

Thread Information