Thread: Best For SIZE??

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member

Best For SIZE??

ive read low rep high weight is best for strength/size, but i just read on another post low rep is for strength, high rep is for size. Also once a week or twice a week for size?? i know i gain the best strength when i do twice a week with push pull, but does strength mean size?

24labor is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Machdiesel
    ive read low rep high weight is best for strength/size, but i just read on another post low rep is for strength, high rep is for size. Also once a week or twice a week for size?? i know i gain the best strength when i do twice a week with push pull, but does strength mean size?
    Strenght is correlated with size I mean look at the pros theyre huge but they do huge weights. But, if you look at some power lifter like the guys that are 190-200lbs who can squat 500+ and other super weights for their size then thats a diffrent picture. You want to get big and have the strenght to go with it. Low reps for strenght, high for size. Switching them up really helps get both.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Strength is dependent on three things:

1.) Leverage of your mechanical levers
    2.) Cross sectional area of your muscle
    3.) Motor innervation

In other words, bigger muscles will be stronger but if you have poor joint leverages compared to other people, they may be stronger with smaller muscles because they can translate muscular strength into mechanical strength. Also, motor innervation is improved by low reps because it stimulates more motor units to contract, so this will improve strength.

Low reps causes more damage and will lead to greater hypertrophy, the only problem is that you cannot perform enough total reps or work to incur enough damage. Low reps are good though to stimulate the most powerful type II C fast twitch fibres. Higher reps will stimulate type II B and will lead to greater hypertrophy because your total rep load is higher. Good to do both low reps, intermediate reps and higher reps but the majority of the time should be in the intermediate range unless you are going for strength training.

znak is offline Senior Member

Size is created by growth. Your body is absolutely brilliant in its ability to conserve energy. If you lift only low rep/high weigh, you body will adapt/grow to accomodate the loads you are giving until you hit a threshold. To get over this threshold/plateau, you have to trick it into growing again. Since it won't accomodate growth due to weight that you can handle, you need to change something- reps, intensity (work/time) or weight.

Once again, after changing your body being basically lazy and wanting to converve energy, will adapt as little as possible to deal with the new stimuli, but it will change/grow for a while and then stop.

Once again you have pateaued and you will have to change something... you could go back to "heavy", change your intensity, etc.

The short answer is size and strength require constantly changing stimuli to force your body to grow.

I have found the key to be intensity- not reps or weight.

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by znak
    Size is created by growth. Your body is absolutely brilliant in its ability to conserve energy. If you lift only low rep/high weigh, you body will adapt/grow to accomodate the loads you are giving until you hit a threshold. To get over this threshold/plateau, you have to trick it into growing again. Since it won't accomodate growth due to weight that you can handle, you need to change something- reps, intensity (work/time) or weight.

Once again, after changing your body being basically lazy and wanting to converve energy, will adapt as little as possible to deal with the new stimuli, but it will change/grow for a while and then stop.

Once again you have pateaued and you will have to change something... you could go back to "heavy", change your intensity, etc.

The short answer is size and strength require constantly changing stimuli to force your body to grow.

I have found the key to be intensity- not reps or weight.
    Exultant post..

I’m constantly preaching this….

Thread Information