Romeoguy62 is offline Associate Member

How do I get the squat bar on right!

I love squats but I have a problem, sometimes I feel to tight to get the bar behind my neck and situated just right. I don't want to use the pad but sometime it almost feels necessary. Would stretching help? I imagine once my traps get bigger it will be easier to hold. Any tips?

chest6 is offline Banned
    Hm..I dont know what it is..extra back muscle or what. But I have never needed a pad...make sure the bar isn't too high up

TADOLFI is offline Member
    Use the pad - the main thing is to get these larger compound exercises in to your routine - after you get your form down and get used to the movement, you can probabbly do away with the pad.
    Just my 2 cents.

SprinterOne is offline Senior Member
    Ya, if you gotta use the pad use the pad. My guess is you don't have those muscles well developed (in the area where the bar rests) so there isn't any cushion for the bones. Over time this should change.

ginkobulloba is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I used to feel I needed the pad and lately I've been going without. Last year I didn't have a pad at any of the post gyms and I used a gym towel wrapped around the bar. Now that I think about it, that really is the best of both worlds (not the shitty Van Hagar song).

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    it depends on where you like it and what your goals are.... if you are more of a bodybuilder and trying to put emphasis on the quads then do high bar squats.... if your more of a powerlifter put the bar down lower in the back more like westside style so you emphasize the glutes and hams more and you can keep you back straighter.

Mealticket is offline Senior Member
    a pad sucks...makes it more unstable in my eyes. just get it situated on there......after a month or so you'll develpe a niche for it.....and it won't hurt @ all....just stick it out the first month..it'll be sore...but you'll come around

I by no means have big traps and it doesnt hurt me @ all w/ 4 plates a side.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    It sounds like your trying to build more muscle rather than become a powerlifter. With that in mind, you can use the pad. There is no harm in using it to make the exercise more comfortable.

PunkOff is offline Associate Member
    use the pad, dont not use it and compromise your form or the excercise, in time youll be able to ditch it

Mealticket is offline Senior Member
    i dont have big traps and it fits on me...aftyer a onth or so you'll just find a nitch for it and it'll feel right

tt2323 is offline Junior Member
    Ditch the pad, it changes the weight distribution depending on the thickness i'm sure with 405 its not much. Look into how close your hands grasp the bar, you could try a closer hand position which flexes your back muscle making a natural pad

Pro_built7 is offline Member
    Try to go without the pad if you can, but don't sacrifice your workout because of a pad. Use it if you have too.

Thread Information