24labor is offline Anabolic Member

plyometrics anyone have good knowledge

My little brother is a senior next year and we need to get him some size, strenght and speed for football next year. He was a break out this year and next year he could be unbelevible but he needs to hit the gym. I know plyometrics are used for athletes I was just curious if anyone had some links or sites to hit up so I could take a look.

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    The underlying principle of plyometric training is the stretch-shortening cycle. Very simply...

As a muscle stretches and contracts eccentrically (lengthens while it contracts) it produces elastic energy, which it can store. If the muscle then contracts concentrically (shortens while it contracts) this elastic energy can be used to increase the force of the contraction. A good example is jumping...

If an athlete jumps vertically they will invariably dip down just before takeoff. Quickly lowering their centre of gravity stretches the working muscle groups allowing them to contract more forcefully for the jump.

In essence a muscle stretched before it contracts will contract much more forcefully.

Plyometric training places increased stretch loads on the working muscles. As the muscles become more tolerant to the increase loads the stretch-shortening cycle becomes more efficient...

The muscle stores more elastic energy. It can transfer from the eccentric or stretching phase to the concentric or lengthening phase more rapidly. This is the key to generating peak power.

Plyometrics has received much undeserved blame for overtraining and injury. Like ANY form of fitness training if used incorrectly and irresponsibly plyometrics is not without risk. The following guidelines will help to make your plyometric training safer and more effective...

hope thats helped.....

Flexor is offline Banned
    Good post SPG, I did all that in an assignment recently...

Quote Originally Posted by S.P.G
    The underlying principle of plyometric training is the stretch-shortening cycle. Very simply...

As a muscle stretches and contracts eccentrically (lengthens while it contracts) it produces elastic energy, which it can store. If the muscle then contracts concentrically (shortens while it contracts) this elastic energy can be used to increase the force of the contraction. A good example is jumping...

If an athlete jumps vertically they will invariably dip down just before takeoff. Quickly lowering their centre of gravity stretches the working muscle groups allowing them to contract more forcefully for the jump.

In essence a muscle stretched before it contracts will contract much more forcefully.

Plyometric training places increased stretch loads on the working muscles. As the muscles become more tolerant to the increase loads the stretch-shortening cycle becomes more efficient...

The muscle stores more elastic energy. It can transfer from the eccentric or stretching phase to the concentric or lengthening phase more rapidly. This is the key to generating peak power.

Plyometrics has received much undeserved blame for overtraining and injury. Like ANY form of fitness training if used incorrectly and irresponsibly plyometrics is not without risk. The following guidelines will help to make your plyometric training safer and more effective...

hope thats helped.....
    Thanks SPG I have read that some think it leads to overtrainnig, you think we should just build him up and work on sprints and other speed drills

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by 24labor
    Thanks SPG I have read that some think it leads to overtrainnig, you think we should just build him up and work on sprints and other speed drills
    You can improve Your Sprinting Power

Tuck jumps 2x10
    Depth jumps 2x10
    Bounding 2x10
    Hurdle jump with sprint 2x10

These are advanced plyometric exercises. You must have an extensive training base and experience of performing plyometrics. These are not suitable for beginners and athletes under 16, how old is you bro.

you should go for two sessions of plyometrics per week is ample. Three is the maximum.

Rest completely between sets, 3-5mins at least. Remember... the idea of plyometrics is not to leave you out of breath.

Quote Originally Posted by S.P.G
    You can improve Your Sprinting Power

Tuck jumps 2x10
    Depth jumps 2x10
    Bounding 2x10
    Hurdle jump with sprint 2x10

These are advanced plyometric exercises. You must have an extensive training base and experience of performing plyometrics. These are not suitable for beginners and athletes under 16, how old is you bro.

you should go for two sessions of plyometrics per week is ample. Three is the maximum.

Rest completely between sets, 3-5mins at least. Remember... the idea of plyometrics is not to leave you out of breath.
    he just turned 18 as for experience I mean I can bulk him up with traditional lifting but I'm not familiar with plyometrics

Gassy is offline Junior Member
    The old pushups with a clap in the middle are good for upper body explosiveness. Also, I think that a lot of plyometrics can be done with a medicine ball.

matcules is offline New Member
    Plyo is a great workout but its a high impact excercise. I been doing plyo for two months twice a wk , it will def increase his speed and jumping ability and incress stamina I def recomend it if he has no issues with joint cause it is a high impact excercise 2 thumbs up for me.

Thread Information