voodoo12 is offline New Member

Question doing abs every day is too much??

hi everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone would give me advice whether
    doing abs everyday is wrong or too much, im actually doing them as well as the example anabolic workout on AR. I dont want to be doing anything too much as i feel my body does react quickly with metabolism and going into a catabolic state.

i have fat to lose (around the ab area) and have been losing it...but i dont want to lose it at the expense of muscle or going into a catabolic state instead of anabolic..i eat frequent but dont know if working out too much will ruin my metabolism.

i have been progressing in wieghts all the time but not as much as a few weeks ago when i wasnt working out abs so much
    right now im doing everyday

situps 20x3
    gym ball crunches 20x3
    twists 200
    leg raises 20x3

before it was everday

situps 35
    leg raises 35
    twist 100

any help would be appreciated

thanks

mishon1 is offline Associate Member
    man just worried about the abs huh. c u all n the gym all the time.

its not abs im worried about its working out too much...

im supposed to taske days off (every second day) but ive been going to the gym and doing abs on the off days

should i be taking those days off?

jbrand is offline Member
    Originally posted by voodoo12
    its not abs im worried about its working out too much...

im supposed to taske days off (every second day) but ive been going to the gym and doing abs on the off days

should i be taking those days off?
    abdominals are primarily fast twitch fibers, which means they respond better to lower rep-ranges; and like any other muscle they should be trained without excessive frequency.

theron is offline Associate Member
    My views on this matter is to do abs every other day.You need a rest day like any other muscle you excercise.

murph is offline Member
    i do them every other day aswell,....i feel this works just fine w/ good results too,.....good luck,...and please do focus on the whole body, not just the abs,..........

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    I do them during commercials when I watch TV. This way you can get a shit load of them done and still be able to enjoy whatever you're doing.

theron is offline Associate Member
    I admire anyone who wants to get a sixpack but you have to excersise each bodypart with ease.You should never over work your body in case of injury.

tie
    tie is offline Junior Member
    VooDoo

IM(humble)O, I think your daily ab workout might be a little too much, given that you're working out generally.

That being said, your original daily ab workout should be fine, regardless of whether you're working out generally or not. I do about 200 situps and leg raises a day before breakfast, and it's never brought on symptoms of over-training.

Tie

bizznach is offline Associate Member
    voodoo, it is imposible to lose fat in just one area of ur body.and if a big stomach is what ur tying to avoid then doin crunches might be makin the area bigger by muscle growth.cardio is the only way ur gona lose the fat.(besides anabolics) it might be imposible to lose the fat without puttin ur body in some what of a catabolic state. as for working the area to much i dont do crunches ne more but for a while i was doin them monday thru friday after my workouts and doing them hardcore and it got me very ripped in the abs so in my experince i didnt need to much rest for my abs but every body is diff. hope this helps some

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    The abdominals can be overtrained like any muscle. Yes they're like the calf muscle which responds differently because you use them so much, but don't be fooled. Even though they're not sore perhaps after a workout does not mean they weren't stressed. Stick with them no more than every other day and work them smart, choosing only the best exercises not wasting your time just crunching aimlessly.

thanks for all the replies guys. i can say everyone has a good advice and i generally have an idea of what to do - CARDIO - , my lifestyle is not very active at all. i have to say bizznach you are right about my abs getting bigger! i look like im going out of proportion when i look into the mirror! ive been going by the wieghts belt i use for squats etc. i have to open it up two holes more for it to fit, from the 7th hole back to the fifth. damn im pissed about it. why does the area you dont want to grow grows more?! i can greally feel a solid layer of muscle under there and situps and stuff takes no effort for me to do now. i just wish everywhere else has improved the same way? maybe i'll change shooting up in my ass to somewhere else.
    i was thinking of doing intense cardio workouts like short interval sprints
    but dont know about when, i'll do three times a week but do u need to give your legs a breather if you have worked them out? at least one day?

Thread Information