chest6 is offline Banned

Does sprint work mess with recovery

Does sprint work mess with muscle recovery from weight training? (Especially leg work) I have always thought that doing sprint work the day after a tough leg workout would mess with my recovery. Any truth with this?

EdMan2 is offline Associate Member
    It probably will, sprinting is very taxing. But on the other hand, making up for it by eating more, or possibly not doing it right after leg day would probably make it less detrimental. I actually want to do this next time I bulk because I want to get my speed back.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Yeah, that is what I was thinking. From now on, I think I may just keep sprint work on Wednesday and Sunday. I train legs on Friday.

EdMan2 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    Yeah, that is what I was thinking. From now on, I think I may just keep sprint work on Wednesday and Sunday. I train legs on Friday.
    Yea and also, if you're bulking remember to account for the calories you're going to burn while you run, and make up for them by eating more on those days.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Nah, I'm cutting. Im doing things backwards because I just had a lot of xtra bodyfat. I started at 20% or so and needed to get down lower. I eat carbs afterwards similiar to a ppwo meal after weights

sputnik is offline Banned
    hey Chest

despite what a sprinting Nazi I am, yes it can negatively affect ur weight training, in particlar, squats. I went through a period where I was sprinting 2x pw at almost 100% intensity, and my squat was going nowhere. With sprint training you should vary the intensity from day to day, and NEVER sprint the day before you squat.

This is how I plan it...when sprinting a cpl of days out from squatting, I will make sure that its only a medium intensity day or that maybe i only do 3 full out sprints

chest6 is offline Banned
    Sounds good..So you think Wednesday like 6 sprints at 80% or so would be fine..and Sunday back to normal? Im wondering if doing all out sprints on Sunday will screw with my recovery from squats the previous Friday, good to know.

hmmmmm, play it by feel at first Chest6....

this is just what I do....medium day I do 10 sprints, 3 @ 10%, the rest at about 70-80%. On full out day I do 6 @ 100%, with about 1-2 mins break in between. On a low intensity day I just do 10 @ 70-80%. I basically mix these up, depending on WHEN I'm squatting, and WHEN y heavy squat day is. If I'm 2 days out from squatting my Max 3 day, I do the low intensity stuff, and if I'm feeling really good I'll do medium day. Rarely will I do high intensity day a cpl of days out from my max squat day.

Man i hope I havent confused. Bascially, use sprints as a sort of tool box, and u take the tools u need out depending on the day and the work (squats) ahead.

Pinnacle is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~ Cocky motherF*cker!
    Does sprint work mess with muscle recovery from weight training? (Especially leg work) I have always thought that doing sprint work the day after a tough leg workout would mess with my recovery. Any truth with this?
    Yes..and not just from leg training.It puts additional stress on your CNS.
    It's imperative to let your CNS not get overly stressed,otherwise you'll tail spin right into over training.
    Sprints are ok to do once in awhile.But I wouldn't add them in on my training routine on a weekly basis.
    You'll be much better off doing mild cardio on off days(active recovery).

~Pinnacle~

Hackamaniac is offline King Without a Crown ~
    chest u don't sprint anyways quit lying lol

chest6 is offline Banned
    Im doing it as a last resort. I have a lil more stubborn fat that has not budged in 3 weeks. My diet is perfect and Im still doing cardio 5, 6, 7 days a week. Im trying to figure out what works.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle
    Yes..and not just from leg training.It puts additional stress on your CNS.
    It's imperative to let your CNS not get overly stressed,otherwise you'll tail spin right into over training.
    Sprints are ok to do once in awhile.But I wouldn't add them in on my training routine on a weekly basis.
    You'll be much better off doing mild cardio on off days(active recovery).

~Pinnacle~
    ditto.

One must bear in mind that sprinting is high-intensity anaerobic exercise...much like weight-training.

If such is the hypothesis, and sprinting is akin to power-squatting...or dynamic lunging... would one do those exercises the day before leg or back training?

No.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Sounds good. Should I tone done the intensity or remove it alltogether

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Sounds good. Should I tone done the intensity or remove it alltogether
    If you're doing it for fat-loss... remove it.

If you're doing it as part of a sport-specific routine... do it once per week.

This would entail a change in your entire workout routine.

Sprinting would fall in second leg-session... approximately 3 days after your main leg session.

i.e. sprinting would have a day of it's own.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Oh ok I got you..sounds good. Just thought this sprint-walk stuff might get rid of my damn spare tire.

Man...I just fvcked up my recovery from my leg workout yesterday..
    Last edited by chest6; 12-04-2005 at 12:33 AM.

Well i respectfully disagree, sprint tranining is perfect for fat loss and if incorporated appropriately and not done at full intensity all the time, is ideal. Like I said above somewhere, sprint training can be manipulated to suit your training, what is so hard about that? Problem is most people are afraid to run fast.

When incorporated appropriately it does not have to cut into ur recovery...and I know because I squat 2-3 times per week, as well as deadlift 1xper week. And yes, I've got very average genetics.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Damn man..2-3 times per week..

ye, but during bulking only and as with sprints, by varying the intensity. ie. one day is 5x5 to a top set, one day is 5x5 to a top set and other day is 5x10 to a top set. It's a Bill Starr routine that works very effectively. Not sure if you know Bill Starr, one of the US's best strength coaches ever...still writes articles for PLUSA, one ot the main bodybuilding mags, and the MILO journal. Read his now seminal book from the 70's, Only the Strongest Shall Survive. Might not be very well known on this board, but go to any powerlifting, stonrg man, strength trainning or other smilar forums such as Power & Bulk, and Bill's a legend.

chest6 is offline Banned
    I used to do a max effort day and a speed day like Westside..but never 3 times a week man I would overtrain like hell. Maybe I'll just do sprint work on Wednesdays only max effort and Sundays like 70%

I think that's a plan stan

Oh and yes if i wasn't bulking, it would be overtraining.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Hm..Im cutting I hope its okay

Thread Information