littleman6 is offline New Member

Question sore wrist at 235 bench press

I'm 18 years old, 5'8 at 130 pounds. I bench pressed 235 today and after i wracked it i felt a shot of pain in my left wrist, it tends to do this when i get up into heavy weight. I have small wrists and i was wondering if there was anyway to strengthen your wrist or what others do when they run into this problem. I can't keep gaining as long as my wrists are holding me back.

Prob should repost this in the exercise forum... but you can buy grip strength trainers at most good sports stores...or take a piece of newspaper and with one hand start in a corner and crumble it up

keth'naab is offline Associate Member
    I will put $$$ on it that you are allowing your wrists to fall back while you bench press. Many people allow their hands to "bend backward" while benching, so that even though their arms are straight out, their arms aren't underneath the bar, and the backs of their hands are bent backward facing the bodies.

Learn to keep your elbows and arms underneath the bar the ENTIRE time, and SQUEEZE THE SHIZNIT out of the bar. That will force your wrists to stay underneath the bar, and instead of stressing your wrists, the entirety of your arms will support the weight.

As for exercises for the grip, do hanging clean and presses, deadlifts, chinups and barbell rows without straps or gloves. Buy some magnesium carbonate(Chalk) and strengthen your grip. The harder you squeeze that bar, the less chance you will have that your wrists will go back on you while you bench.

If you are actually pushing 235 at a bodyweight of 130, then you are probably a royally skinny dude, so you will need to really work at gaining some bodyweight or those heavy weights on your benchpress are going to kill you.

235 @130 pounds is a good bench, skinny or not.

shortie is offline AR Biggerologist
    235@130 and only 18 kix ass IMO. You can buy grip strength exercisers and you can work wrist exercises in the weight room. But I think keith prolly has it, you need to keep the weight on the meat of your palm and keep the wrist upright.

JNel04 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shortie
    235@130 and only 18 kix ass IMO.
    couldnt have said it better. ur not too far from puttin up 200% of ur body weight, which by any means is a great accomplishment. i dont think too many people can say that they are able to put up 200% of their own body weight.

Flexor is offline Banned
    He is probably doing one or two reps like most kids in the gym that are just trying to lift as big as possible. If he is then 235 is impressive in terms of being able to handle 1RMs, but for reps he would be doing something more along the lines of 170-180...

Still I'm probably wrong, tell me otherwise. Good going bro, even if that is low reps its damn impressive

wolfyEVH is offline Anabolic Member
    my wrists would hurt too if i was doing that much weight and that skinny.......get some meat on your bones bro.......start eating

No doubt the kid is putting up like a 1RM. That being said, when I go stupid heavy I always use my Inzer wrist wraps. They are second to none. Click the link above for details (in my previous post #4).

MASTER is offline "I Own You"
    strengthen ur forearms bro, do some deads and shrugs. I always bend my wrists back when i bench, i feel uncomfortable doing it any other way, so to make sure my wrists arent a problem, i keep them strong.

Strenghten forearms by doing forearm specific movements. Make sure they are the very last thing you do in a workout and have an off day the next. Wrist curls, working both the flexors and extensors (top and bottom half) and then lateral turns, where you hold a dumbell with forearm on say a preacher bench with arm at an "L" shape and forearms resting. Slowly rotate dumbell left to right in a propellor like movemnet. Control is the key to capitalize both concentric and eccentric portions of the movements.

Now that you say that, i know that im not keeping my wrists straight. It sounds so obvious but i was missing it man, thanks for the heads up.

Looking back at my workout routiens i haven't been working my forearms, i guess i didnt know that would help with the wrist pain. I'll start getting my forearms into the program for sure. Thats for the advice. Think ill get some wrist straps too.

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    if you are 130 pushing 235, it makes me wonder if you are bouncing weight off your chest your body cant handle which would be d*cking around with your wrist big time.

hardgainer1 is offline Senior Member
    no offense but, come on man 235 at 135? not bloody likely

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JNel04
    couldnt have said it better. ur not too far from puttin up 200% of ur body weight, which by any means is a great accomplishment. i dont think too many people can say that they are able to put up 200% of their own body weight.
    i dont think many are able to say they weigh 130lbs.

props for your lift bro. just messin.

Thread Information