Papi93 is offline AR VET

Part 2 - Repetition Upper and Lower Body Days

Repetition Upper Body (Thursday)
    *Repetition Lift - work up to 3 sets of max reps, rest 60s between sets = Dips
    Supplemental Lift (Triceps) - 3-4 sets of 5-10 reps = Skull Crushers (EZ Bar)
    Vertical Pulling - 4 sets of 8-12 reps = Chinups
    Medial Delt Exercise - 3 sets of 10-15 reps = Bradford Presses
    Elbow Flexion Exercise - 3 sets of 8-10 reps = Preacher Curls
    Abdominal Circuit Training - no rest between exercises
    *Rotate max effort exercise every 2-3 weeks

Repetition Lower Body (Friday)
    Repetition Lift - work up to 3 sets of max reps., rest 60s between sets = Deadlifts
    Supplemental Lift - 3-4 sets of 5-10 reps = Barbell Reverse Lunges
    Hamstring/Posterior Chain Movement - 4 sets of 8-12 reps = Leg Curls
    Grip Training - 3 sets of timed sets = Plate Pinching
    Last edited by Papi93; 12-24-2005 at 06:42 PM.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Bump.

Bigpup101 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Papi93
    Repetition Upper Body (Thursday)
    *Repetition Lift - work up to 3 sets of max reps, rest 60s between sets = DipsSupplemental Lift (Triceps) - 3-4 sets of 5-10 reps = Skull Crushers (EZ Bar)
    Vertical Pulling - 4 sets of 8-12 reps = Chinups
    Medial Delt Exercise - 3 sets of 10-15 reps = Bradford Presses
    Elbow Flexion Exercise - 3 sets of 8-10 reps = Preacher Curls
    Abdominal Circuit Training - no rest between exercises
    *Rotate max effort exercise every 2-3 weeks

Repetition Lower Body (Friday)
    Repetition Lift - work up to 3 sets of max reps., rest 60s between sets = Deadlifts
    Supplemental Lift - 3-4 sets of 5-10 reps = Barbell Reverse Lunges
    Hamstring/Posterior Chain Movement - 4 sets of 8-12 reps = Leg Curls
    Grip Training - 3 sets of timed sets = Plate Pinching

i like it but i attribute my chest looking really good due to weighted dips..i wouldnt fatique them soo much with max reps i do weighted dips and don't ever exceed 12 reps..once i can do a set of weighted dips for 12 i add more weight next time

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigpup101
    i like it but i attribute my chest looking really good due to weighted dips..i wouldnt fatique them soo much with max reps i do weighted dips and don't ever exceed 12 reps..once i can do a set of weighted dips for 12 i add more weight next time
    Exactly the way I do it. I do 12 reps on dips for my first set but not for any other exercise. It is the dips that has enabled me to thicken out my pecs

Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    Exactly the way I do it. I do 12 reps on dips for my first set but not for any other exercise. It is the dips that has enabled me to thicken out my pecs

agreed i used to stay away from dips, thought they were more of an overall fitness exercise i guess, but my chest started to like bluk and bunch up and had a weird shape at the bottom of the pecs..my friend noticed this and told me to throw in dips before my becnh..i was reluctant but i did it none the less and like 2 months later i remember taking my shirt off uin fron of him again and he said "damn, you're doin those dips huh" my overall shape of my pecs changed..now i love to dip! lol

Flexor is offline Banned
    agreed i used to stay away from dips, thought they were more of an overall fitness exercise i guess, but my chest started to like bluk and bunch up and had a weird shape at the bottom of the pecs..my friend noticed this and told me to throw in dips before my becnh..i was reluctant but i did it none the less and like 2 months later i remember taking my shirt off uin fron of him again and he said "damn, you're doin those dips huh" my overall shape of my pecs changed..now i love to dip! lol
    I always liken them to an extreme form of decline bench! They are truly excellent, I believe they are essential in developing the chest to its true genetic shape. I also find they are by far the best tricep exercise, I just whack them out and my tris feel great during and after the set...

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    In my college days, I liked to do tricep-style dips and load up on the resistance. Repping out with 2-45lb plates was common-place in my triceps workouts. IMO, close-grip bench presses and tricep dips are the two best exercises for developing triceps mass.

I would definitely increase the resistance if needed. I don't like going above 12 reps for most exercises because I do not feel like my muscles hypertrophy well with that rep range. For me, it's better for local muscular endurance.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I always liken them to an extreme form of decline bench! They are truly excellent, I believe they are essential in developing the chest to its true genetic shape. I also find they are by far the best tricep exercise, I just whack them out and my tris feel great during and after the set...
    Agreed. See my earlier post for tricep dips.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Now tricep dips and "chest?" dips...is that what you guys are talking about? My guess would be when I see guys lean forward more they are performing "chest" dips. Can you guys explain this one??

Sorry to seem so stupid on this, I am actually starting to dips for the first time ever the last few weeks. They used to really hurt my Inner deltoid/outter chest. When I started 4-5 weeks ago I would have to do it with 50-60lbs assistance...Now I can do 10 on my own with bodyweight. They have given my tricep more size/shape I have noticed recently, even though I am cutting.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    Now tricep dips and "chest?" dips...is that what you guys are talking about? My guess would be when I see guys lean forward more they are performing "chest" dips. Can you guys explain this one??

Sorry to seem so stupid on this, I am actually starting to dips for the first time ever the last few weeks. They used to really hurt my Inner deltoid/outter chest. When I started 4-5 weeks ago I would have to do it with 50-60lbs assistance...Now I can do 10 on my own with bodyweight. They have given my tricep more size/shape I have noticed recently, even though I am cutting.
    With the tricep dips, you try to keep your torso as vertical as possible and try to keep your elbows from floating out. For the chest dips, lean forward and let your elbows drift out. With the chest dips, it becomes very similar to doing a decline bench press.

chest6 is offline Banned
    With the tricep dips, you try to keep your torso as vertical as possible and try to keep your elbows from floating out. For the chest dips, lean forward and let your elbows drift out. With the chest dips, it becomes very similar to doing a decline bench press.
    That is exactly what i thought, thanks for clarifying. I try and keep my elbows very close to my body when doing any type of tricep exercise. On dips I try to stay as upright as possible and keeping my upper arm/elbows parallel. Same applies with close grip bench and skullcrushers.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    That is exactly what i thought, thanks for clarifying. I try and keep my elbows very close to my body when doing any type of tricep exercise. On dips I try to stay as upright as possible and keeping my upper arm/elbows parallel. Same applies with close grip bench and skullcrushers.
    Don't get discouraged when you up your calories because your number of reps on your dips will go down. Just remember that you will weigh more and factor this into the equation.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Don't get discouraged when you up your calories because your number of reps on your dips will go down. Just remember that you will weigh more and factor this into the equation.
    Yep, I'll be ready for that. This, and wide grip chins.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Yep, I'll be ready for that. This, and wide grip chins.
    With the extra carbs, you will get a much better pump off of the wide-grip chins and tricep dips. I'm surprised that you can do wide-grip chins, considering you're a big dude. Do you do these assisted or unassisted?

chest6 is offline Banned
    I can do 10 unassisted right now at 232. (fresh) All the way down at the bottom.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I can do 10 unassisted right now at 232. (fresh) All the way down at the bottom.
    Very good, Chest. I really like the wide-grip chins. My lats really improved when I incorporated them into my program. The biceps are at a disadvantage so you have to recruit more heavily from the lats.
    Last edited by Papi93; 12-24-2005 at 09:34 PM.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Yup bigtime. I also noticed these really helped out as well.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I used to be of the opinion that close, supinated-grip pullups were superior because I was able to handle more external resistance. The biceps are heavily recruited and take stress off of the lats.

chest6 is offline Banned
    So I take it you are no longer supporting that opinion? Obviously taking less stress off the lats will take away potential growth, and add to the biceps. I may actually play around with these a bit when I start bulking, since I most likely won't be able to perform wide grip pullups with the added weight I will be carrying over time.

because of the weight i've been gaining i've been using straps while doing my weighted chins lately..i feel it more in the lats this way..i'm going to be using straps on most of my back routine for a while, my biceps seem to be more fresh and ready for a beating by the time i'm ready for them

Flexor is offline Banned
    I used to be of the opinion that close, supinated-grip pullups were superior because I was able to handle more external resistance. The biceps are heavily recruited and take stress off of the lats.
    I do these purposefully for my biceps, and I've found them excellent. After 3 sets I do wide overhand chins, sometimes all negatives. That is my lat routine, 6 sets in total. I do bent over barbell rows after this, but with my elbows in a mid position between perpendicular to trunk and parallel. That does recruit the lats somewhat, but I don't count them as sets for the lats. Then its just 3 sets of a bicep exercise, usually incline supinators (which is a great compound exercise).

chest6 is offline Banned
    You can perform wide grip chins after the 3 sets of close grip?

Flexor is offline Banned
    You can perform wide grip chins after the 3 sets of close grip?
    The supinated chins are weighted, the wide grip are either unweighted or I weight them and do negatives. That is how I am able to do it, plus I am very light. Also I concentrate to really use my biceps on the supianted chins and this saves my lats more for the overhand. That way I get a great bi and lat workout all in one.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    So I take it you are no longer supporting that opinion? Obviously taking less stress off the lats will take away potential growth, and add to the biceps. I may actually play around with these a bit when I start bulking, since I most likely won't be able to perform wide grip pullups with the added weight I will be carrying over time.
    As Flexor, they are a great workout for the biceps. Similar to dips or close-grip bench presses for the triceps. The lats will still be working very hard but the biceps will take aways some of the stress. Flexor has a good idea with the close, supinated-grip pullups and the wide-grip chinups.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    because of the weight i've been gaining i've been using straps while doing my weighted chins lately..i feel it more in the lats this way..i'm going to be using straps on most of my back routine for a while, my biceps seem to be more fresh and ready for a beating by the time i'm ready for them
    Sometimes, I will lose the straps because I do not have great forearms (unlike my brother ).

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I do these purposefully for my biceps, and I've found them excellent. After 3 sets I do wide overhand chins, sometimes all negatives. That is my lat routine, 6 sets in total. I do bent over barbell rows after this, but with my elbows in a mid position between perpendicular to trunk and parallel. That does recruit the lats somewhat, but I don't count them as sets for the lats. Then its just 3 sets of a bicep exercise, usually incline supinators (which is a great compound exercise).
    Incline db curls from neutral to supinated on the concentric and reversed for the eccentric? Isn't this a single-joint exercise?

Flexor is offline Banned
    Incline db curls from neutral to supinated on the concentric and reversed for the eccentric? Isn't this a single-joint exercise?
    I used to think it was, then I actually took one moment to think about it. There is simultaneous supination and flexion. The wrist and elbow is moving, and therefore it is a compound exercise, and a great one at that.

Paps, I'm glad your back! I've been almost single handedly holding down the workout forum, I'm losing my mind! I've got to take a break, I've got "computer flu"

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I used to think it was, then I actually took one moment to think about it. There is simultaneous supination and flexion. The wrist and elbow is moving, and therefore it is a compound exercise, and a great one at that.

Paps, I'm glad your back! I've been almost single handedly holding down the workout forum, I'm losing my mind! I've got to take a break, I've got "computer flu"
    I see what you are saying.

I'm online Wed-Sun from 4pm-12am. Mon and Tu are time I spend with my mamita . Next week, I will be online from 8am-4pm Mon-Fri. I will then be off on Sat and Sun.

Thread Information