Tommy Gunn is offline Member

What part of the lats do seated cable rows work?

I know seated cable rows are mostly a middle back exercise, but I also know they work the lats quite a bit too.

My question is, what part of the lats do seated cable rows (with a v-bar) mostly work, the upper or lower lats?

Basically, I wanted to know if seated cable rows (with a v-bar) works more of the upper or lower lats.
    Last edited by Tommy Gunn; 12-09-2005 at 04:04 AM.

any type of rows mainy concentrate of your rhomboids and deltoids....rows are a must for back, but are only secondary for lats. if you want to work lats do WIDE grip pull ups, lat pull downs, and my favorite, lat hammer strength

Anyone else?

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gunn
    Anyone else?
    More importantly, see your other post...

http://67.18.108.244/showthread.php?t=210649

The further your elbows are away from your body, the less the lats are used all together. Keeping your elbows into your sides will hit the lats equally if you allow your shoulders to protact forward, because although the upper fibres of the lats run obliquely to the trunk, the shoulder protraction will mean they contract in the same line of pull as the lower fibres which run parallel to the trunk.

You should be doing your cable rows with your elbows away from you to stop the lats helping, so that you use your mid trap fibres, rhomboids and post. delts instead. Don't bother using cable rows as a lat exercise, they grow from wide pullups and pulldowns and db rows. Forget about working the lats with seated cable rows.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Stick with vertical pulling exercises like pullups, chinups, and lat pulldowns to build the lats. Using a wider grip with force the lats to work harder as the biceps are at a mechanical disadvantage.

chest6 is offline Banned
    I thought it was the rhomboids..middle back. I haven't done seated rows in awhile.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Horizontal pulling movements like bent-over rows, seated rowing, t-bar rows, db rows, etc. can work the rhomboids, rear delts, the upper, mid, and lower trapezius depending on elbow placement relative to the torso. So will say how are the upper traps are involved in rowing? They come into play when someone uses a massive weight and elevates the shoulders while they row. If you want to minimize upper trap involvement, keep the shoulders down as you row.

Tren Bull is offline Dbol Junkie
    i dont know what the name of the muscle is, but its the part of your back that is directly next to and under your rear delt heads

TCEL300 is offline Member
    I have a machine at my gym for rows...i use free weights once ina while...havnt used cable yet thou might give it a try

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TCEL300
    I have a machine at my gym for rows...i use free weights once ina while...havnt used cable yet thou might give it a try
    The only advantage of cables is that you can get a deeper stretch, but overall they are not as good as free weights.

I know seated cable rows arent a lat exercise but they do work the lats to some degree.

My question is, what do they work more, the upper or lower lats?

Thread Information