Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Inner Chest

  1. #1
    mamias20918756 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Eating chicken with pasta
    Posts
    398

    Inner Chest

    Which excersises work better the iner chest?
    I know that flyes, crossover and pec-deck seem to work a lot, but which really is the best to do?

  2. #2
    onehundredk's Avatar
    onehundredk is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    gym
    Posts
    673
    Quote Originally Posted by mamias20918756
    Which excersises work better the iner chest?
    I know that flyes, crossover and pec-deck seem to work a lot, but which really is the best to do?
    close grip bench/ dumbell press...are the best for gettin your "cleavage"

  3. #3
    mamias20918756 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Eating chicken with pasta
    Posts
    398
    i had noticed that presses worked my inner chest good enough but i didn't really knew that they do affect it for sure, thanks...Close grip bench seems to work more on triceps than chest, not my favourite....
    Last edited by mamias20918756; 12-09-2005 at 07:17 PM.

  4. #4
    n4529359's Avatar
    n4529359 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    213
    using the full range of motion is the best way to go ..

    considering the muscle fibres are all in parralell you can't specifically target the center of the chest

  5. #5
    Tren Bull's Avatar
    Tren Bull is offline Dbol Junkie
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    northern cali
    Posts
    16,460
    doing cable flys for the fullest range of motion possible, and doing peak concentrations at the end works pretty well

  6. #6
    Flexor is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    L'Inghilterra
    Posts
    1,659
    Quote Originally Posted by Tren Bull
    doing cable flys for the fullest range of motion possible, and doing peak concentrations at the end works pretty well
    Cables flyes is not a mass exercise. It will only help bring out the final striations after the mass has been built. For the inner chest there is no other way to go than just doing a very good, rounded chest routine.

  7. #7
    S.P.G's Avatar
    S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    uk/ south east
    Posts
    4,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    Cables flyes is not a mass exercise. It will only help bring out the final striations after the mass has been built. For the inner chest there is no other way to go than just doing a very good, rounded chest routine.
    agreed.......

  8. #8
    Tren Bull's Avatar
    Tren Bull is offline Dbol Junkie
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    northern cali
    Posts
    16,460
    i think it depends on genetics, i havent done standard bench press in over 4 years, but my chest is still one of my dominant muscle groups, and thats from doing lots of flys at all different angles

  9. #9
    MASTER's Avatar
    MASTER is offline "I Own You"
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Tren Bull
    i think it depends on genetics, i havent done standard bench press in over 4 years, but my chest is still one of my dominant muscle groups, and thats from doing lots of flys at all different angles
    Yeh def bro, I read one pro only does flyes for chest, i think it might have been bob chick actually.

  10. #10
    HUNTER1's Avatar
    HUNTER1 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    603
    flyes with FULL ROM and dumbell presses w/ FULL ROM.

  11. #11
    Doc.Sust's Avatar
    Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    a van down by the river!
    Posts
    11,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Tren Bull
    i think it depends on genetics, i havent done standard bench press in over 4 years, but my chest is still one of my dominant muscle groups, and thats from doing lots of flys at all different angles
    that may be a mistake, flat press to failure with various grips is a great way to put on huge size, pressing is a major muscle movement, flyes are not even close and do not recruit any where near as many muscle fibers as a press and thats a fact.

  12. #12
    Tren Bull's Avatar
    Tren Bull is offline Dbol Junkie
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    northern cali
    Posts
    16,460
    dont get me wrong, im not saying that pressing movements aren't good, i just prefer flys because they give me good results, and also because triceps are a bigger priority to me than my chest. if i only do flys, i can save my tris for more tricep extensions

  13. #13
    Flexor is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    L'Inghilterra
    Posts
    1,659
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    that may be a mistake, flat press to failure with various grips is a great way to put on huge size, pressing is a major muscle movement, flyes are not even close and do not recruit any where near as many muscle fibers as a press and thats a fact.
    Precisely. That is why cable crossovers are a complete waste of time unless you already have a massive chest and you are not looking for mass anymore. Flyes are a weak way of working the chest, and yet everyone feels the need to incorporate them, even though varying your grip and elbow position on a flat, decline and incline bench is far more productive. People often forget about dips, which is probably the most useful chest exercise there is as it pulls the lower pec in a competely different plain of motion to a flye.

  14. #14
    Doc.Sust's Avatar
    Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    a van down by the river!
    Posts
    11,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Tren Bull
    dont get me wrong, im not saying that pressing movements aren't good, i just prefer flys because they give me good results, and also because triceps are a bigger priority to me than my chest. if i only do flys, i can save my tris for more tricep extensions
    what you said makes very little sense to me, if you would press first you would need to do less tri work overall because you would be fatigueing the muscles with the press motion, the tri would still get enough "work" and you would have to less work not soley focusing on a minor muscle ranges of motion. your train of thought is backward on this, trust me, don't ever neglect a major muscle movement so you can do more auxillary work if you want the best results

  15. #15
    Doc.Sust's Avatar
    Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    a van down by the river!
    Posts
    11,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    Precisely. That is why cable crossovers are a complete waste of time unless you already have a massive chest and you are not looking for mass anymore. Flyes are a weak way of working the chest, and yet everyone feels the need to incorporate them, even though varying your grip and elbow position on a flat, decline and incline bench is far more productive. People often forget about dips, which is probably the most useful chest exercise there is as it pulls the lower pec in a competely different plain of motion to a flye.
    agreed!!!

  16. #16
    Papi93's Avatar
    Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    12,336
    In corporating db presses into your chest routine will give you a fuller ROM and will allow you to hit the medial pecs. I observed this in a weight training vid by Physiotherapist Paul Chek.
    On a muscle anatomy chart, I have read that the sternal pecs can be worked with db or barbell pullovers. The clavicular pecs are stimulated by presses and flyes.

    My opinion is that you need to concentrate on presses with barbells and dumbbells to develop the hypertrophy you desire. A combination of both will produce optimal results. IMO, don't worry about single-joint movements, when you lack the mass that you desire.

  17. #17
    Flexor is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    L'Inghilterra
    Posts
    1,659
    Quote Originally Posted by Papi93
    In corporating db presses into your chest routine will give you a fuller ROM and will allow you to hit the medial pecs. I observed this in a weight training vid by Physiotherapist Paul Chek.
    On a muscle anatomy chart, I have read that the sternal pecs can be worked with db or barbell pullovers. The clavicular pecs are stimulated by presses and flyes.
    Bit of an old thread Papi

    You say medial pec, you must be referring to the clavicular. On the flat bench both the clav and sternal pec work at much the same levels according to EMG. However, incline and overhead presses stimulate the clav and not the sternal, whilst decline, dips, close grip pullups and pullovers all stimulate the sternal but not the clav. Its best to do exercises that involve both, as well as exercises that concentrate on one and not the other.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •