Thread: Too much???

chest6 is offline Banned

Too much???

I just got back from a damn good leg workout, but I think I may have done a little too much. Im cutting so don't make fun of my strength

Squats
    225x16
    315x12
    335x10
    365x8

Lunges
    95x10
    95x10
    115x8
    135x8

Stiff Leg Deadlifts
    135x12
    135x12
    185x8
    185x8

Leg Extensions
    60x20
    70x18
    80x18
    80x20

Leg curls
    80x15
    80x15
    90x18

Calf raises standing
    3 sets of 20

seated
    3 sets of 20

abs

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Your program design looks solid. Your next workout will be the key. If you do not get maintain or get stronger (hard to do while cutting), you will need to reevaluate. If you get weaker on your second workout, maybe drop 1 set off of each exercise (not leg curls and calves, though). Why did you only do 3 sets on leg curls, as where you did 4 for leg extensions? I would balance these out.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Papi93
    Your program design looks solid. Your next workout will be the key. If you do not get maintain or get stronger (hard to do while cutting), you will need to reevaluate. If you get weaker on your second workout, maybe drop 1 set off of each exercise (not leg curls and calves, though). Why did you only do 3 sets on leg curls, as where you did 4 for leg extensions? I would balance these out.
    Well I did one warmup set with that and I didnt count it on there..I went really light cuz my hams were crampin up a lil bit. Thats exactly what I was thinking though, judge it by my next workout. It'll be what I'll go by.

When i do legs i work em so hard that i feel sick and get a banging headache......I have to lie down for half an hour when i get home....they can take as much as you can give them.........just eat and rest and they will grow JMHO

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Your hamstrings are very strong. Your resistance on leg curls rivals that of your leg extensions. Maybe it was just the machines that you were using .

Jakspro is offline Member
    For the leg extensions is that one leg at a time or both?

And why the stiff legged deads? I thought that bent knee worked your hams more...?

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakspro
    For the leg extensions is that one leg at a time or both?

And why the stiff legged deads? I thought that bent knee worked your hams more...?
    Yeah, that could explain why the lower weight in the leg extension.

Stiff-legged deads, a single-joint exercise if a neutral spinal alignment is used, place an intense stretch in your hamstrings. In regular deads, a multi-joint exercise, your quads assist the glutes and hamstrings in the performance of the movement.

Stiff-legged deads, a single-joint exercise if a neutral spinal alignment is used, place an intense stretch in your hamstrings. In regular deads, a multi-joint exercise, your quads assist the glutes and hamstrings in the performance of the movement.
    Ahh, I see... True my hams to get an insane stretch in stiff-legged deads... Didn't know about the multi-joint info though, Nice.

Hackamaniac is offline King Without a Crown ~
    what up chest u keep hitting those legs that hard you'll never find a pair of jeans that fit lol.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Thats the point . Papi..when I did leg extensions I did them slower and didnt assist any with my bodyweight. I squeezed at the top and went all the way up, where the top of the weightstack hit the top of the machine. I did the leg curls quicker and didnt squeeze. Probably why. I also haven't done leg extensions in a long ass time because I think they contributed to messing up my knee, because I would do heavy ass weight and use my body to get the weight up. Stiff legged I feel it in my hamstrings bigtime. With a straight back, I hardly feel it at all.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    Thats the point . Papi..when I did leg extensions I did them slower and didnt assist any with my bodyweight. I squeezed at the top and went all the way up, where the top of the weightstack hit the top of the machine. I did the leg curls quicker and didnt squeeze. Probably why. I also haven't done leg extensions in a long ass time because I think they contributed to messing up my knee, because I would do heavy ass weight and use my body to get the weight up. Stiff legged I feel it in my hamstrings bigtime. With a straight back, I hardly feel it at all.
    When someone rounds their back, I call them stiff-legged deadlifts. When they keep neutral spinal alignment, then I call them Romanian deadlifts. It helps with confusion.

chest6 is offline Banned
    yup thats what I call them, I just didn't know which one neutral was. Do you see stiff legged putting stress on the lower back? I honestly dont feel anything in my hams on romanian

When someone rounds their back, I call them stiff-legged deadlifts. When they keep neutral spinal alignment, then I call them Romanian deadlifts. It helps with confusion.

Thats right, i forgot about Romo deads... (I'm 100% Romo) But i thought that you only slightly bend your knees... And i thought that your always supposed to keep your back straight, with slightly rounded shoulders...? Any input?

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    yup thats what I call them, I just didn't know which one neutral was. Do you see stiff legged putting stress on the lower back? I honestly dont feel anything in my hams on romanian
    I shyed away from stiff-legged deads at first until I saw that Aussie Strength Coach Ian King was implementing them in his program designs. You will involve the back extensors in the stiff-legged version. In the Romanian, the lower back acts as a stabilizer. Start the movement by anterior tilting your pelvis. This will pre-stretch your hamstrings. I learned that trick from Dr. Squat Fred Hatfield. Let your hips go back, on the eccentric phase, and transfer the weight to your heels. This will work for most unless you are very flexible (I've found this more true with females - former gymnasts specifically).

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakspro
    Thats right, i forgot about Romo deads... (I'm 100% Romo) But i thought that you only slightly bend your knees... And i thought that your always supposed to keep your back straight, with slightly rounded shoulders...? Any input?
    Keep a slight bend in your knees on both exercises. You can round your back on the stiff-legged version. I don't recommend this for beginners. If you are interested, check out some articles by Ian King for proper execution.

chest6 is offline Banned
    I shyed away from stiff-legged deads at first until I saw that Aussie Strength Coach Ian King was implementing them in his program designs. You will involve the back extensors in the stiff-legged version. In the Romanian, the lower back acts as a stabilizer. Start the movement by anterior tilting your pelvis. This will pre-stretch your hamstrings. I learned that trick from Dr. Squat Fred Hatfield. Let your hips go back, on the eccentric phase, and transfer the weight to your heels. This will work for most unless you are very flexible (I've found this more true with females - former gymnasts specifically).
    Thats my problem, I was about to mention thats why they dont work for me.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Thats my problem, I was about to mention thats why they dont work for me.
    Have you tried doing them on an elevated surface or using smaller plates? That why the plates don't hit the ground and stop ROM short.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Have you tried doing them on an elevated surface or using smaller plates? That why the plates don't hit the ground and stop ROM short.
    Yup I do it on a platform about a foot off the ground. I may need to go higher..cuz the bar touches my feet

Flexor is offline Banned
    I heard the strength ratio of 2:1, quads:hams is correct. Probably the only way to measure that is by doing ham curls and leg extensions on the same machine...

Canadiantiger is offline Associate Member
    Papi I see you talk about Ian King I have tried a couple of his workouts............A while back I tried limping into the millenium. I was like cool the first 3 weeks very little weight used and more stabilizing elements and one legged skier hack squats, that kind of thing. Let me say...........OUCH...........WTF.............why are my legs so sore the next day with most exercises done with body weight. I love his workouts and theories.............next week I start one of his mass programs it looks like this.

MONDAY

Flat Bench
    10 reps @ 30% * * denotes warm-up
    8 reps @ 60% *
    6 reps @ 80% *
    4 reps
    3 reps
    2 reps
    4 negative reps 25% heavier than max
    15 reps

Close Grip Rows

Same Rep scheme

Close Grip Bench

3*10 reps

WEDNESDAY

Deadlifts

Same as above however the second set of 4 is not negatives. They just have to be heavier than the first set of 4.

Squats

Same as above

Calve Raises

3*20

FRIDAY

Military Press

Same as bench

Wide Grip Pulldowns

Same as above

Barbell Curls

3*10

I am excited to started and hoping for good gains.

Z-Ro is offline Senior Member
    Whats up Bud?

Hey bro, it looks pretty good. If you recovering fine then don't sweat it. All I would suggest is if your getting burnt out take out one of the thigh exercises. Other than that good training man!

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-Ro
    Whats up Bud?

Hey bro, it looks pretty good. If you recovering fine then don't sweat it. All I would suggest is if your getting burnt out take out one of the thigh exercises. Other than that good training man!
    yup, thats what im thinking. While cutting, I wanted to try to see if leg ext would get some better definition in my quads when my bf dropped. Next Friday will be what I'll go by.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    [QUOTE=Canadiantiger]Papi I see you talk about Ian King I have tried a couple of his workouts............A while back I tried limping into the millenium. I was like cool the first 3 weeks very little weight used and more stabilizing elements and one legged skier hack squats, that kind of thing. Let me say...........OUCH...........WTF.............why are my legs so sore the next day with most exercises done with body weight. I love his workouts and theories.............next week I start one of his mass programs it looks like this.

He is really big on rep tempo. If you really emphasize the negative or eccentric phase of your lift, you will experience some serious soreness. The tearing of the muscle fibers occurs on the eccentric phase, not the concentric phase. Good luck with your future workouts!

Thread Information