Thread: bicep question

IXISiDiuSIXI is offline Associate Member

bicep question

Okay so I have no problem with getting my tri's bigger. But my biceps are lagging and now they're pissing me off. A friend recommended doing this and I was curious to see if anyone else does this,....

when your doing preacher curls, 3 sets of 10. midway through your 5th rep(halfway point), have your workout partner or someone hold the bar down for 5 seconds causing your arms to not go anywhere but still trying your hardest to get it up. Then finish out the set with help. I hope that makes sense let me know if I didn't explain that right.

Bigpup101 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IXISiDiuSIXI
    Okay so I have no problem with getting my tri's bigger. But my biceps are lagging and now they're pissing me off. A friend recommended doing this and I was curious to see if anyone else does this,....

when your doing preacher curls, 3 sets of 10. midway through your 5th rep(halfway point), have your workout partner or someone hold the bar down for 5 seconds causing your arms to not go anywhere but still trying your hardest to get it up. Then finish out the set with help. I hope that makes sense let me know if I didn't explain that right.

there's a million ways to break platues on bicep training..first off if you're not getting enough calories/rest your arms aren't gonna grow period..if they are both in check..you can try drop sets, super-sets, up your reps lighter weight lower your reps higher weight..force them to grow..have your friend assist you with forced reps..you wont be able to mix your PWO if you do these right

Flexor is offline Banned

Preacher curls aren't even for the biceps, as I often point out, they are a brachialis exercise. From my other post, this is why...

"Preacher curls are not designed to target the biceps, they target the brachialis. This is because your shoulders are flexed, which causes the biceps and particularly the short head, to enter active insufficiency. That means the biceps cannot contract enough to complete elbow flexion because they have already contracted partially to flex the shoulder. This puts the load onto the brachialis and causes an insane pump."

Like big pup said, increase your intensity with forced reps, drop sets and some negatives. Try some incline supinating curls to stretch both bicep heads and to try to get some more stimulation.

kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    when you hit a plateau, you need to switch up your routine, do drop sets and rest pause sets...if you are used to doing heavy sets like 6-8 reps then try and switch it up to the 15-20 range. just experiment with different things.

Tren Bull is offline Dbol Junkie
    thats for sure, change up your routine. id suggest totally focusing on reverse curls for awhile.

Born Threat is offline Associate Member
    21's....

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member

-i understand what you're suggesting..

I call this technique a partner-initiated negative..or somethign somewhat akin to it.

I've used an abberation of it on calves..where i had my training partner pressdown on the negative portion of each rep...applying extreme presure in the very bottom position of each rep while i resisted unsuccessfully.

This allowed me to burst tru my calf-plateau.

I used it on biceps also..but i think it's potentially dangerous...the potential for a rupture at the insertion point is high.

I concur with what was said prior to my post.

Switch up your routine.

In addition... review your form.

I find many people with lagging biceps ..are lagging because they don't work bis during their bi-exercises. They actually work shoulders... anterior deltoids to be specific.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    ore volume and more reps for hypertrophy and thats all you need

flyguy7 is offline Associate Member
    what are good bicep exercises then flexor? just barbell curls and incline dumbell curls? I normally do these with preachers all for 3 sets.

Anabolios is offline Anabolic Member
    hammer curls are often overlooked from people that i know..and as soon as they start using them they experience new growth thats if this is something new to your routine or you could change the grip of the bar from wide to close or vice versa

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flyguy7
    what are good bicep exercises then flexor? just barbell curls and incline dumbell curls? I normally do these with preachers all for 3 sets.
    As I do biceps and back on the same day, I start with deadlifts. I will then do underhand chins for my biceps, followed by negative overhand chins for the brachialis and brachioradialis, whilst at the same time hitting the lats very hard. That is for a total of 6 sets.

Hammers aren't necessary after the shoulder width overhand chins, they are not as effective at building mass. Hammers are a good isolation exercise, but why do isolations when you can do compound and use far more weight...

After this I will do bent over barbell rows followed by the incline supinating curls for drop sets, then my arm flexors are done and I look forward to about 5 days of ache. Some may say that is hardly any direct bicep work, but they fail to realise that the biceps can be worked with compound exercises just like the triceps. Dips build the triceps, underhand chins build the biceps. That is what I have found. I think most people don't realise their back exercises are probably responsible for most of their bicep and forearm mass. Arm size usually comes naturally if you get your back, chest and shoulders stronger and bigger.
    Last edited by Flexor; 12-22-2005 at 04:35 AM.

ODC0717 is offline Anabolic Member
    switch it up bro, heavy weight low reps, high reps light weight, mix up your training split. If you've done bi's and tri's together maybe split them up with chest and tri's, back and bi's.

One thing that worked nice for me was training them twice a week, once with heavy weights lower reps, the next with high reps and lighter weight. Sometimes I will give them a few days rest depending on how sore I am, or I might fire them up then very next day (rarely) to mess with them, again depending on how sore I am.

Variety is the spice of life bro. Keep it interesting and all will be good.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Hows your squats/deads/Bent over rows/ diet?

TADOLFI is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    Arm size usually comes naturally if you get your back, chest and shoulders stronger and bigger.
    Agreed - I would suggest you get off the preachers for a while.

Check this out for your target muscle.

And look here for exercises to do.

Someone had also mentioned Form - if you don't have it, you don't grow.

Post your exact workouts for the week in detail.....without them people are only guessing.

Thread Information