LILG is offline Junior Member

Is this ok( workout routine)

I jus change my Routine, which im about to start in day or so and which is as follow:

Monday: chest
    Tuesday: back
    Wednesdayff
    Thurs: Shoulders
    Friday: Arms
    Sat:Legs
    Sundayff

I've been followin lots of posts by u guys regarding splits and w/o routine e.g like this:

Monday: Back

Tuesday: Chest and tris

Wednesday: Rest

Thrusday: shoulders,biceps

Friday: Legs

Saturday: Rest
    Sunday: Rest

So im just wandring that which is best to put in order to get a maximum result(mainly to get noticalbe size on arms)
    your comments,suggestions will help me alot...as im gonna start training after few days rest soon
    Critiques welcome
    thnx

Flexor is offline Banned
    Often a 3 day split is recommended for bulking

M - Chest (front delts automatically), tris, side delts
    T - Rest
    W - Back (rear delts automatically), bis (and forearms)
    T - Rest
    F - Legs and calves

IMO you must put corresponding bodyparts together to take advantage of the high mass multi-joint exercises, as these are the ones that build muscle and strength. The three heads of the shoulders must also be split up to avoid overtraining.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    Often a 3 day split is recommended for bulking

M - Chest (front delts automatically), tris, side delts
    T - Rest
    W - Back (rear delts automatically), bis (and forearms)
    T - Rest
    F - Legs and calves

IMO you must put corresponding bodyparts together to take advantage of the high mass multi-joint exercises, as these are the ones that build muscle and strength. The three heads of the shoulders must also be split up to avoid overtraining.
    I agree 100%...that is almost my exact workout.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone_Biggums
    I agree 100%...that is almost my exact workout.
    This is the split that I have been recommending for a couple of months on here and I love it. I'm glad someone else can see the sense in it. Its compact, allows you to use the best heavy exercises, avoids overlapping entirely and its fun.

thnx flexor for the feedback and u recommend any particular exercises for that kinda split? where do i fit cardio in that split? and can u plz ritique on the routine i post?much appreciated

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LILG
    thnx flexor for the feedback and u recommend any particular exercises for that kinda split? where do i fit cardio in that split? and can u plz ritique on the routine i post?much appreciated
    Cardio on tuesday, thursday and weekend.

With regards to the split you posted, a chest day, back day and shoulder day, you will be working your shoulders at least twice a week. Back day automatically hits the posterior deltoid and chest day automatically hits the anterior deltoid. This would cut your shoulder workout to just medial deltoids and a few military presses which would be a waste of time. Put anteriors and medials with chest, and rear delts with back to compact your split.

Arms on their own day isn't practical. You would be doing silly isolation movements and these don't build big strong arms. They have their place in arm workouts, but you need compound exercises as well such as dips, close grip, pullups and rows to make your arms grow. That is why biceps should be with back and triceps with chest so that you could avoid overlapping by doing corresponding exercises all at once.

In terms of exercises, you must choose ones that work multiple muscle groups then add a couple of isolations. I can't go into too much detail about exercises, it would take too long.

Chest: flat bench, flat guillotine, dips, flat flyes (forget decline and incline, yes that's correct. The guillotine feels harder on the upper pec and gets rid of the need for flyes because they are similar movements but you need tough shoulders and to be able to lower the weight to 60% your usual, and dips are better for the lower pec)
    Tris: close grip, skulls, dips etc, done after chest workout.
    Shoulders: lateral raises after triceps (front delts toasted by chest and tri workouts)

Back and Bis: deadlifts, pullups, rows, barbell curls, incline supinating dumbell curls, preacher curls etc, shrugs (posterior deltoid done by pullups and rows)

Legs: obvious

I'm sorry if this is a bit disjointed and all over the place, I got bored...anyway you should get my drift

Guillotine presses are bench presses to the neck or just below with a wide grip and roughly 50-60% your usual benching weight. Be careful and make sure you are warm. You get a similar effect even if you lower the bar 2-3 inches above the nipples. After doing these for a month, my chest had developed more than it ever had in a month doing normal chest workouts...
    Last edited by Flexor; 11-30-2005 at 05:08 AM.

venomm is offline Associate Member
    i start workin on the split u recomended as the same split was recomended by others few too...jus got 1 more Q that shud i do traps wit the chest/shoulders/tris too?like a set or too?

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by venomm
    i start workin on the split u recomended as the same split was recomended by others few too...jus got 1 more Q that shud i do traps wit the chest/shoulders/tris too?like a set or too?
    I leave traps for back day, because deads hammer them and this is the perfect opportunity to toast them with shrugs. Remember, traps are not the shoulders, they are the back. The traps is one muscle that extends down to the mid back, but the top mid and lower fibres are recruited differently depending on different exercises. So do shrugs on back day

Haro3 is offline Anabolic Member
    is this split for natural bulking or while using aas?? Because everyone always makes it out that you can be in the gym 5-6 days while on and i know better than that...just curious

Unknown$$ is offline Associate Member
    good question...looking for this answer too

flyguy7 is offline Associate Member
    me three

can someone answer my question post #9

mamias20918756 is offline Associate Member
    what do u mean 5-6 days while on?
    no more than 2 days in a row (refering to weight lifting excersises ofcourse, cardio can be done every day) is the rule either ur on roids or not, otherwise u will be overtrained, that's the answer i took by others when i asked the same question...

I have issues with these 3 day a week plans, though I'll prolly try it for a while anyway. I'm curious like these others about whether this is a plan to use while on aas, because i'm all natty. In addition, the chest/tri/side delts workout is about 25 sets. Doesn't this seem like overtraining in itself?

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flyguy7
    I have issues with these 3 day a week plans, though I'll prolly try it for a while anyway. I'm curious like these others about whether this is a plan to use while on aas, because i'm all natty. In addition, the chest/tri/side delts workout is about 25 sets. Doesn't this seem like overtraining in itself?
    Woah there...25 sets?

I do:

Flat medium bench x 3
    Chest dips x 2 (uses tris just the same, but chest more)
    Tricep dips x 2
    Guillotine x 2
    Skullcrushers x 3
    Military press x 2
    Incline lateral raises x 3

That's 17, and sometimes I skip the military press to make it 15. It sounds like you are one of these people that overworks their chest and shoulders when they do them on one day. The chest is only a small muscle despite the force it can develop, it doesn't need more than 8-10 sets IMO. with my workout done at high intensity, I will ache for at least 6 days without fail.

AAS? Its only 3 days a week, its easier than a 5 day split, even though each workout session might be harder. This is still only working each bodypart once a week and there is no overlapping so the issue of increased recovery from steroids isn't an issue.
    Last edited by Flexor; 12-04-2005 at 03:07 PM.

that's interesting you only do 2 sets for each exercise, why not 3 flexor?

Flexor is offline Banned
    Well on dips, tris are used no matter what, it is just the level of chest recruitment that varies. I feel it in my tris doing chest dips so that counts as 4 dips for my tris.

After the dips and flat bench, I only need 2 sets of guillotine in place of flyes to toast the chest. These are done slowly without fully lowering the bar to the neck, so that I don't do myself an injury and it is almost a partial rep which makes a good change for the chest.

To be honest, 3 sets of medium bench and 2 tricep dips is all my anterior delts have ever needed to ache like shit. So occasionally if I feel ok I will do 2 military presses just to finally finish them.

The first 2 sets have the biggest impact on the muscles, subsequent ones just increase fatigue and lactic buildup whilst also taxing the CNS. By doing 2 sets on certain exercises I don't strain my CNS too much and yet I have got everything out of it that I needed. It is all about intensity, form and tempo, without going to failure...

Bound for Muscle is offline Associate Member
    that is basically the same workout that i follow as well with good results

the only thing is that i try to do legs BEFORE back as i believe that having a sore/fatigued lower back can be detrimental when doing squats

flexor im curious because i know dips can work your chest but you call them "chest dips" how do you specifically hit your chest with dips?

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Haro3
    flexor im curious because i know dips can work your chest but you call them "chest dips" how do you specifically hit your chest with dips?
    wider grip, elbows flared out from your body, and lean forward slightly. It is the hand width that changes how much the triceps are recruited, not elbow position. That is why I do a narrower hand width but with my elbows flared out to the side, and that way I get both a good chest and tricep workout...

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    why 3 fiyguy??? now doesn’t that sound as stupid as you asking why 2 lol

It has nothing to do with the number of sets but the intensity put in to the workout....

My chest, shoulder, workout has 10-11 sets total

I have trouble moving for days.

Romeoguy62 is offline Associate Member
    You guys do do straight leg deads for lower back right?
    I kill my legs and don't think I could do regular deads on back day.

that is the same workout that i follow as as told by flexor and other guys to me....thnx guys for that, and i can say that its workin pretty good so far,cant say about the results as its only 3rd week
    if i want to change this routine lets say jus for a change i definately holla at u guys againn...

Thread Information