24labor is offline Anabolic Member

workouts for gaining speed

Dose anyone know some good ways to gain some speed? I'm helping my bro get ready for football by getting him a little bigger but they want him to be a little faster as well.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 24labor
    Dose anyone know some good ways to gain some speed? I'm helping my bro get ready for football by getting him a little bigger but they want him to be a little faster as well.
    Lifting weights slows the muscle down as it gets used to firing at slower speeds. I reckon he just needs to do HIIT sprints, 30M dashes with 30second intervals. Maybe a few bunny hops on the spot for some plyometric springyness to help him gain some acceleration. Got to be careful on the knees though...

Squats etc will improve strength markedly, but its a known fact that weight training slows down the legs unless you do sprints to quicken them up again. Michael Owen, an English 'Soccer' player, had to do weight training for his hams and quads because they were very prone to injury a few years ago, and it slowed him down in acceleration for a few months until his muscles had adapted back to high twitching frequencies.
    Last edited by Flexor; 12-10-2005 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Added info on Michael Owen

KingJames23 is offline Associate Member
    As a college football player the above statement is BS... Lifting legs has made me so fast. I didnt lift weights on my legs untill junior year in HS and i went from a 4.68 to a 4.43 during the winter. Squats are great and ive heard high reps are best.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    State Qualifier In Track, Work Out It Will Help...But Sprint A F*CKIN LOT...

chest6 is offline Banned
    Things that increased my speed..
    squats, quickfoot ladders, plyo boxes, matroom drills (front rolls, back rolls, back extensions, etc), Short sprints (10yd, 20yd, 40yd), ground plyos

oh..and sprint work on an incline treadmil, that was great. Also, working the hamstrings and calves a lot. Not necessarily weight with calves, but one leg calf raises, jumping off one leg..ground plyo stuff.

Explosive work. I would get under a standing calf raise machine, do a squat and jump and explode up. Our fball team had these, I havent seem them anywhere else.

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    How’s the plyometrics coming along

Tren Bull is offline Dbol Junkie
    hell yea, plyometric exercises are the way to go for sure. plyometric leg press and plometric leg curls should yield an increase in speed, especially if your running gear when your doing it.

Thread Information