paddy155 is offline Member

sets per bodypart ?

just wondering if someone could tell me what is the best number of sets per bodypart ?as i no their is a lot of debate about this.

Born Threat is offline Associate Member
    Depends on the bodypart. For biceps I don't do any more than 6 sets, for chest I do atleast 9. Kind of a vague question.

It would depend on what your goals are and what your body type is. I personally like 12 sets for big muscles and 9 sets for small muscles

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    (Chest) 9-10
    (triceps) 6-8
    (Back) 9-10
    (Shoulders) 5-6
    Biceps 4-6
    (Legs) 9-10

lucabratzi is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GunTotingHipGangster
    It would depend on what your goals are and what your body type is. I personally like 12 sets for big muscles and 9 sets for small muscles
    ditto.
    bi's 9
    tri's 9
    back 12
    quads 12
    hams 4
    calves 9
    chest even though is small 12
    traps 9
    shoulders 12

Tren Bull is offline Dbol Junkie
    i think the key is to understand which muscles get worked the most while performing day to day activities. for most people, that is mainly biceps, and shoulders, so you shouldn't tear the sh_t out of those muscle groups unless you make sure you move them as little as possible on rest days. for me, other muscle groups like triceps and back can be worked out to the extreme, as in 15-20 sets. on a side note, it fu_king pisses me off when people ridicule me for trying to exert the least amount of effort possible when im picking stuff up, or cutting my chicken breast up or whatever. they're always like "are you really that weak? you look so strong" it makes me want to stomp on their head until they get a fu_king concussion

IXISiDiuSIXI is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tren Bull
    i think the key is to understand which muscles get worked the most while performing day to day activities. for most people, that is mainly biceps, and shoulders, so you shouldn't tear the sh_t out of those muscle groups unless you make sure you move them as little as possible on rest days. for me, other muscle groups like triceps and back can be worked out to the extreme, as in 15-20 sets. on a side note, it fu_king pisses me off when people ridicule me for trying to exert the least amount of effort possible when im picking stuff up, or cutting my chicken breast up or whatever. they're always like "are you really that weak? you look so strong" it makes me want to stomp on their head until they get a fu_king concussion
    lol little testy today?

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy155
    just wondering if someone could tell me what is the best number of sets per bodypart ?as i no their is a lot of debate about this.
    there is no answer to that question that is perfect and it depends on if you ar looking for size or strength and speed. both are too different worlds and really to become great at being a strength athlete or a body builder you train different with different numbers of reps abd sets, as body builder for example, may do an exercise such as the b press for 3 sets of 10 for hypertrophy traing for muscle growth, a powerlifter may take 50% of his max and do 10 set of 3 with 30 second breaks, both total 30 reps, but the body builder fatigues on all the later reps(reps 7-10) in his sets allowing for growth, where the powerlifter finishes his reps , first rep to last reps with the same quick speed, with no fatigue. two seperate worlds for functional performance traing and traing for looks

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    there is no answer to that question that is perfect and it depends on if you ar looking for size or strength and speed. both are too different worlds and really to become great at being a strength athlete or a body builder you train different with different numbers of reps abd sets, as body builder for example, may do an exercise such as the b press for 3 sets of 10 for hypertrophy traing for muscle growth, a powerlifter may take 50% of his max and do 10 set of 3 with 30 second breaks, both total 30 reps, but the body builder fatigues on all the later reps(reps 7-10) in his sets allowing for growth, where the powerlifter finishes his reps , first rep to last reps with the same quick speed, with no fatigue. two seperate worlds for functional performance traing and traing for looks

ditto on the points brought up here... but expanding on this... It depends too on the individual and said individual's recuperative ability.

The 'perfect' set/rep scheme is something one learns tru trial and error: through listening to one's body.

It also changes over time... with time being a major determinant..and development over said time being an important variable.

That being said... How long've you been training?

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    ditto on the points brought up here... but expanding on this... It depends too on the individual and said individual's recuperative ability.

The 'perfect' set/rep scheme is something one learns tru trial and error: through listening to one's body.

It also changes over time... with time being a major determinant..and development over said time being an important variable.

That being said... How long've you been training?
    rt back at you bro! very good points, genetics of the individual and supplementation of gear give everyone very different recuperation times. very good points indeed!

Thread Information