inthehole is offline New Member

Arms training ideas.

I need some ideas on arm training. Honestly training arms bores me. Id much rather squat or train back. My arms suck. 18 and half inches at 230 pounds. I think my problem is i train them to heavy. Ego driven. Any ideas on routines would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by inthehole
    I need some ideas on arm training. Honestly training arms bores me. Id much rather squat or train back. My arms suck. 18 and half inches at 230 pounds. I think my problem is i train them to heavy. Ego driven. Any ideas on routines would be greatly appreciated.
    18 1/2 inches @ 230 and your bitching?
    I want to have arms that big.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by inthehole
    when you train back you get some bi's out of it, hey i here you a powerlift and very rarely do curls, maybe 3- 5 set s a wk after back for 10-15 reps with a straight bar or dbell. i found higer reps were the ticket, i would sacrifice weight for more reps with this exercise and also short rest btwn sets, i try to just maul them quick and get over with. now triceps, well i do i fck load of tri's for pressing, i can give you some ideas of tri training but for bi's u can curl and thats about it.

all the variationsof curls don't make them anymore fun, why not try cleans? great way to work back ,legs and bi's and put on mad size and strength, they take alot out of you, but the gains you make are great and you get alot of transmutation(carry over strength) into your squats and deadlifts.

thanks for the ideas, i cant really do cleans, i have minor impingement in my left shoulder. Im aware i should probably drop the weight and go for more volume as far as reps are concerned, just hard to stop once you get going. Id like to do a bodybuiling show next year and ill have to bring my arms up quite a bit. both bic and tris.

chest6 is offline Banned
    My friend showed me something recently. On the EZ curl bar, you put your hands to where your pinkie would be facing "up" on the part where it __/ <--does that..so the curve would be coming from the left instead of down. This makes you keep your elbows in and I love it. Did I do a decent job explaining or did I confuse everyone?

TCEL300 is offline Member
    chest i am so lost on that explanation

Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    My friend showed me something recently. On the EZ curl bar, you put your hands to where your pinkie would be facing "up" on the part where it __/ <--does that..so the curve would be coming from the left instead of down. This makes you keep your elbows in and I love it. Did I do a decent job explaining or did I confuse everyone?
    ???????????

Tren Bull is offline Dbol Junkie
    tell me if this is right, you mean if you were to extend your thumbs in this position, they would be pointing down right? such that the palms of your hands are facing outward, and the tops of your hands are facing eachother?

reverse curls??

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    reverse curls??
    nope

Quote Originally Posted by Tren Bull
    tell me if this is right, you mean if you were to extend your thumbs in this position, they would be pointing down right? such that the palms of your hands are facing outward, and the tops of your hands are facing eachother?
    exactly. Say during a normal curl on the EZ curl bar your palms are facing more in towards each other , during this they would be facing more away from each other. It depends on the steep on the curve in the bar, but your cant go too steep cuz it hurts your wrists/elbows. Most that I have seen work nicely.

I know its pretty hard to explain...

See if you can read this picture, did the best I could You place the bar this way. Normally, you would flip the bar from its current position, to upside down to curl, with hands almost facing towards each other. This bars steep or bend from when it is straight "/" is not very steep and pronounced as most I work with. I'm sure most of the EZ bars at your gym are this way too.

Having another look at it, maybe the bar is rotated slightly towards you in the picture. Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Arms training ideas.-ez-curl-2-.jpg  
    Last edited by chest6; 12-16-2005 at 04:30 PM.

chest6 is offline Banned
    bump...u get this? took a lotta effort

basically putting ur hands in a complete supination during the whole exercise?

chest6 is offline Banned
    basically, yes

Keyser Sozey is offline Anabolic Member
    IntheHole, Why not train biceps supersetted with triceps? The pump from doing them both is crazy.

For example:
    5 sets bbell curls
    s/setted w/
    5 sets of skullcrushers

4 sets of hammer curls
    s/setted w/
    4 sets of rope pushdowns

The first set of bbell curls and skullcrushers is a warm-up set, but is counted.

*Edit* I throw in some wrist curls at the end for forearms.

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    O your talking close grip curls??

chest6 is offline Banned
    me steve0?

i like that idea keyser. thank you.

Thread Information