kaorialfred is offline Member

Ab execise using weights

Is this a good practice?
    Some training schools don't seem to think so.
    A couple of Physical Therapist have told me its not good for
    long term health.

Any of u don't use weights?

I spoke with someone and they said they overdeveloped there lower abs doing too much weighted work. So now the lower sticks out more than the upper. Its pretty weird looking especially on a female.

I haven't done any of the crazy side dumbell bend just because I think they acutally build love handles than shrink them. Anyone else hear of this?

I currently do a ab bench and twisting med ball. Along with twisting using a bo staff, and leg raise on the roman chair thing. I guess I would want my abs to be visible. Like Melvin Anthony style. I just wonder if weighted work would help or hurt?
    Last edited by kaorialfred; 12-16-2005 at 09:47 AM.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    weighted side bends wont build love handles, fat and muscle are to different substances with different chemical compositions, that would be like me saying i can turn gold into copper, it can't happen, abs with weights gives you more resistance so you don't have to do a million reps and sets to fatigue your muscles, i have been doing weighted ab movemnts since i was 15 i am 30 now and i have regular stomach muscles. i have the same background if not more of an educational one as a PT, i practice Pt in my office. i have no idea who you spoke to, but i call bullshit on the fact that a weighted ab movment is not good for overall health. total crock of CRAP!

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by kaorialfred
    Is this a good practice?
    Some training schools don't seem to think so.
    A couple of Physical Therapist have told me its not good for
    long term health.

Any of u don't use weights?

I spoke with someone and they said they overdeveloped there lower abs doing too much weighted work. So now the lower sticks out more than the upper. Its pretty weird looking especially on a female.

I haven't done any of the crazy side dumbell bend just because I think they acutally build love handles than shrink them. Anyone else hear of this?

I currently do a ab bench and twisting med ball. Along with twisting using a bo staff, and leg raise on the roman chair thing. I guess I would want my abs to be visible. Like Melvin Anthony style. I just wonder if weighted work would help or hurt?
    I trained a physical therapist with two master degrees and I had her doing weighted core training for every core workout. Why train the rest of the body with weight and not the core. This will only lead to injuries in the long run.
    Try to avoid these bodybuilding myths.
    Two of my favorite exercises are db side bends and heavy db crunches on a stability ball.
    Listen to Doc. Sust.

Thread Information