Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member

Squats+Deadlifts?

Just wondering how many of you do both squats and deadlifts on the same day. I train the legs every 4-5 days (they need to grow). I usually start out with squats and then go straight to deadlifts. Granted I can barely fucking breath after I'm done, I can't get over how sore and tight I feel the next couple of days which I think is awsome. In a couple of months my legs have gone from nothing to actually something! Am I killing myself for no reason or is this common?

Warmup
    Squats 4x8-10
    Deadlifts 4x8
    Stiff legged dead lifts 3x8
    Leg extension 3x15-18
    Calves

Any feedback is appreciated.

Anybody?

Uconish is offline Member
    I know alot of guys dead lift on back day, i would also. I think that squats and deadlifts are the two hardest exercises you can do, so it would be very difficult to do both on the same day and put 100% effort into every lift When you are done squatting you should be so fatigued that i wouldnt even think about deadlifting So save the deadlifts for another day Put 110% effort into the squats and deadlift on back days Youll probably be able to lift more weights, which will help you grow a lot bigger

lionman is offline New Member
    Vegas, kinda depends on whatyou want to accomplish by doing this......... I powerlift, therefore, I do both on the same day ..... One day is my dynamic day ( lighter) and one is my max effort day ( heavier), .. I follow the Westside principles..... I don't necesarrily deadlift on both days, as this is very taxing on your muscles, but rather perform good mornings or someother exercise that works the back muscles more effectively than deads...... hope this helps.........

NightOp is offline Member
    I have the same problem... don't know how to incorporate deads and squats into my routine... I do legs (squats, etc...) on tuesday and back on bi's on monday.... so I can't do deadlift on monday.. right now I'm gonna actually try to do them on the same day. Deadlifts then Squats... I doubt I will be able to handle it.. but only one way to find out.

Night Op if I can then I'm sure you can. Just make sure you take at least a 5 min break before you start. It will feel fucking awsome!!

jersey juice is offline Member
    I start leg day with squats and back day with deads. I used to TRY to do both the same day, but one will always suffer. If your training for max poundage like most PL's do, then you want to spread it out more and concentrate on those core lifts. Worked for me...

Canes4Ever is offline Banned

Re: Squats+Deadlifts?

Originally posted by Vegas Kid
    Just wondering how many of you do both squats and deadlifts on the same day. I train the legs every 4-5 days (they need to grow). I usually start out with squats and then go straight to deadlifts. Granted I can barely fucking breath after I'm done, I can't get over how sore and tight I feel the next couple of days which I think is awsome. In a couple of months my legs have gone from nothing to actually something! Am I killing myself for no reason or is this common?

Warmup
    Squats 4x8-10
    Deadlifts 4x8
    Stiff legged dead lifts 3x8
    Leg extension 3x15-18
    Calves

Any feedback is appreciated.
    I do squats and SLDL's on the same day but have my deads spread out as far as I can (4 days) from my squats because if not my lower back is not ready for the strain.

CrazyRussian is offline Associate Member
    maybe lower your reps on the dead lifts and squats to like 5 or 6, i have gotten much better results and in a masters study here at my school it showed improvement in size and strength big time.

NightOp is offline Member
    I just finished my final touches on my summer routine... and I decided against the deads and squats on same day... ya I most likely could force myself to do them both on the same day but I want to get the most out of both... scroll down in the workout forum and checkout my routine if you want.. i just updated the first post to reflect the changes.

thespiritofaman is offline Junior Member
    My split is like this;
    Day one:Quads,Calves and forarms
    Day two:Chest and biceps
    Day three:Back and Hamstrings
    Day four:Shoulders and triceps
    Day five:Rest

I usually do quads and calves with forearms and back and hamstrings.

For Quads I do:
    Squats-5x6-20 reps
    Leg Presses 4x15-8 reps
    Leg extensions 4x 8-15

For Hams I do back first and then:
    Deadlifts 4x6-10
    Lying leg curls 4x8-10
    Seated leg curls " ""

Well my philosophy is that I do not like to train two big body parts in one day. Just like most of us don't do Chest and Back on the same day then why do hams and quads on the same day. Besides I have so much more energy to put into my hams since I am not covered in sweat after my quad routine.
    ever since I have started this routine, my hams have grown to new poportions.

Wishing you luck in you endevours,
    Spirit

devilscabanaboy19 is offline Associate Member
    Do your guys' legs really get sore from doing deads? The only thing that hurts doing deads (for me) is my back all the way from my traps to erectors.

broncojosh is offline Senior Member
    Do deadlifts on back day bro. Squats, hack squats, leg extensions, leg curls, straight leg deadlifts, and calfs in one day will work your ass!

Seems like a lot of you guys have sore backs. Mine are sore as well, but not like you guys are describing. This is not a flame: Are you sure you're using correct form? When I first started I had the same problem but after using a really light weight and concentrating on keeping my ass down, the pain in my back went away. I see guys at the gym yanking that shit up using their backs and I wonder how much they spend at the chiropracters. Not flaming anybody cuz I'm no expert, but check your form and go down on the weight. Just a thought.

Originally posted by broncojosh
    Do deadlifts on back day bro. Squats, hack squats, leg extensions, leg curls, straight leg deadlifts, and calfs in one day will work your ass!
    Smart man Bronco !

Originally posted by Vegas Kid
    Seems like a lot of you guys have sore backs. Mine are sore as well, but not like you guys are describing. This is not a flame: Are you sure you're using correct form? When I first started I had the same problem but after using a really light weight and concentrating on keeping my ass down, the pain in my back went away. I see guys at the gym yanking that shit up using their backs and I wonder how much they spend at the chiropracters. Not flaming anybody cuz I'm no expert, but check your form and go down on the weight. Just a thought.
    Vegas I guess I have a sore back after deadlift day is because on my compound movements I still train like a powerlifter, and I batter that back with heavy deads and rep those suckers no more 4-6 times. It fries my back and at my age (41 yrs) I need a day or two more than you young studs to recover !

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    I do them on the same day and it really wears me out! I wonder at the sanity of doing both onthe same day--but I keep on doing it. Just can't figure out a better place to work them in the schedule! If I do them on back day, I am too stiff on leg day to squat properly!

I was thinking about doing them on the same day and split morning/evening; I have that luxury now, I am unemployed! (Or should I say "I am am amongst he idle poor at the moment.")

Deads. Yes they make your back sore, but i wouldn't go as far as to work it out (deads) with my back. I thinnk it works my legs much better. I feel that my back is much more along training wise then my legs so maybe that's why it's not that sore. I never thought about that.

thespiritofaman is offline Junior Member
    It all depends on how you all do it. Is it straight leg deadlifts or bent deads?

The straight ones really kill the ass and hammies really good.

Bent ones really target the upper trap area and lower back. I tend ot go heavier on knee bent deadlifts.

Spirit

wil
    wil is offline New Member
    my lower back rarley is in pain after deads, its more of a leg work out for me keep the bar tight to your shins, look up, pull your traps back and lift with your legs. the bar should ride up your legs through the whole lift, if the weight gets out in front of you it will put a ton of strain on your lower back so keep it tight to your body. i never do deads and squats in the same week. alternate them squats one week and deads the next. remember its almost the same lift with the bar in different position. hope that helps keep pumpin

Nate_Dog is offline Member
    I have done them on Leg days. But I wonder if I do.. Squats, Split Squats, DL, SLDL, ... I think I used to over train.

So I do the above minus the DL.

It sucks because it is such a power movement, and I really enjoy doing the exercise.

Moving them to back day..? I am not sure if I will have adiquate recovery inbetween.

Thread Information