indrid_cold17 is offline Banned

edt <escalating denisty training>

anyone tried this before?

Flexor is offline Banned
    No, but in case anyone wants to know more about EDT, Warrior is the man in the know. He has info about it on his personal website in the link:

http://www.warriorfx.com/training/edt.sht

Bigpup101 is offline Senior Member
    nice site..i'm gonna check it out some more..warrior nice job bro..thanks flexor

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigpup101
    nice site..i'm gonna check it out some more..warrior nice job bro..thanks flexor
    Thanks - so ya don't get confused (you won't find a link back to that page), thats the old layout I was using this year - everything is converted over to a database system now... THE NEW ONE

The EDT approach always gets my arms beaten to hell - from the wrist up to the top of the triceps - like someone beat your arms with a bat. And the pumps are huge! It's the Charles Staley approach... I have written of it a few times here. Its based on two big supersets for 20 minutes - NO REST.

I do a routine based on EDT for arms every once in awhile to really put them in pain:

[S-1]Standing Barbell Curl, 10 reps
    [S-1]Standing Rope Extensions, 12-15 reps

[S-2]Seated Cambered Tri Extensions, 10 reps
    [S-2]Standing Reverse Grip Cambered Curls, 12-15 reps

NO REST... do the first superset for a full 20 minutes... give your arms at least 5 minutes for the swelling to go down - and then start the final superset. This takes a lot of guts and motivation to make it all the way through... it's best done with a training partner of similar strength so you can fuk with each other about dropping the load your using

It hits all the fast-twitch, slow twitch and everything inbetween...

People look at me like I am insane when I do these - they sit around inbetween sets and I'm grabbing weight after weight for 20 straight mikes

thats some good info...and makes total sense. I'm gonna incorporate alot of your ideas into my routine..i'll get back to you in a couple weeks and let you kniow how it's going

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    The most valuable thing you can learn from this method, IMO, is that if you perform more work than your last workout, you will improve. This can be an increase in reps, sets, lbs, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Papi93
    The most valuable thing you can learn from this method, IMO, is that if you perform more work than your last workout, you will improve. This can be an increase in reps, sets, lbs, etc.

agreed, i never really thought to look at how much "work" was being done in an hour..i basically just pay alot of attention on my first real work set...i'm anxious to try this out

Absolutely - if you did a load for 10 reps and 10 sets within 45 minutes. Then next week you did the same rep and sets but finished in 35 minutes - thats a huge gain! Many people fail to realize how time plays a big factor in determining the actual power you are developing. Its not just how much or for how many - but also for how long.

One more thing regarding EDT - personally I find these type of training theories good for muscle with a high oxidative capacity - groups with a fast recovery time in between sets. Chest and Back have a hard time keeping up... but arms and delts get used all day long and thrive on the extended time under tension and heavy weights. Legs too - but if you try the EDT approach with Quads/Hams - trust me - you will probably puke!

did anyone actually tried the routine ?

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by indrid_cold17
    did anyone actually tried the routine ?
    Yes, I have. It's very fatiguing so it will be difficult to use complex multi-joint exercises like the squat or deadlift. Using some machines, in the beginning, might be a better choice. With the deadlift, it is very easy to lose neutral spinal alignment and strain your lower back.

Yes, I have. It's very fatiguing so it will be difficult to use complex multi-joint exercises like the squat or deadlift. Using some machines, in the beginning, might be a better choice. With the deadlift, it is very easy to lose neutral spinal alignment and strain your lower back.
    what are your mass gains and how many weeks are u in the routine ?

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    what are your mass gains and how many weeks are u in the routine ?
    I am currently switching my routine to a Modified Westside Barbell Club Routine. My last program was working on Matt Furey's Bodyweight Only Exercises. I was participating in martial arts and needed more flexibility so I was doing back bridges, hindu pushups, etc. Anyway, two summers ago, I used EDT training with a buddy of mine. I did not care for the design Staley created because I like more variety in my program. I like the challenge of more complex lifts like the squat, deadlift, etc. My buddy was only concerned about appearance, not function so he said it was the best system he had ever used. Very goal oriented and the modifications of the program can be made very easily. I lost contact with him after I showed him how to do Staley's EDT. He moved back to Michigan. Anyone else have experience with this system?

Very goal oriented and the modifications of the program can be made very easily.
    I will agree with that - you can easliy calculate if you are progressing, so making modifications are easy to analyze. Until you actually sit down and figure what load you are using, for how many reps and how long you spend lifting it - its really difficult to see if you actually are making progress in a tradtional workout scheme. Like I posted before - I prefer this for a modified biceps/triceps workouts only these days...

These types of training theories let you really see how you progress - and the structure benefits you in what you learn about your body and your individual muscle groups...

bump

bump
    Look man - I know you'd like to hear more feedback... I do to... but the sad truth can be found in many gyms. Walk in and what do you see? A bunch of people using a sh!t load of machines, resting way too long inbetween sets - no real rhyme or reason to what they do. The best I see are people using a postions-of-flexion type workout utilizing a heavy free weight with one or two supporting movements for concentration and stretch - but there are sooo many more training theories than that basic approach!

Try this system - see what you can learn about yourself... then come back and reply to this thread about what you learned. I love topics like these - but the sad fact is many either don't want to discuss what they do, can't explain it or they just go in and do whatever comes to mind...

Try EDT - try my arm workout if you want... let us know what YOU think...

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior
    Look man - I know you'd like to hear more feedback... I do to... but the sad truth can be found in many gyms. Walk in and what do you see? A bunch of people using a sh!t load of machines, resting way too long inbetween sets - no real rhyme or reason to what they do. The best I see are people using a postions-of-flexion type workout utilizing a heavy free weight with one or two supporting movements for concentration and stretch - but there are sooo many more training theories than that basic approach!

Try this system - see what you can learn about yourself... then come back and reply to this thread about what you learned. I love topics like these - but the sad fact is many either don't want to discuss what they do, can't explain it or they just go in and do whatever comes to mind...

Try EDT - try my arm workout if you want... let us know what YOU think...
    yeah i know what u mean bro,,,i am gonna give it a shot mayeb next week on my arms day at first and i will tell u guys how it worked ..peace

Thread Information