View Poll Results: How many sets do u do for large bodyparts (chest, back, shoulders, quads)?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • less tan 12 sets

8 30.77%
  • 12-16 sets

10 38.46%
  • 16-20 sets

3 11.54%
  • 20-24 sets

3 11.54%
  • more than 24 sets

2 7.69%

Arrow How many sets do U guys do???

how many sets for big bodyparts do u guys do, and how many sets for small bodyparts do u guys do while on cycle in each workout???

And how many sets do u guys do while off a cycle for big and small bodyparts??

I usually do 16-20 sets for big bodyparts (chest, back, shoulders, quads), 12-16 sets for small bodyparts (bicep, tricep, hamstrings), 8-10 sets for calves, and 3 excercises for abs. I do this all while off a cycle

I wanna know what u guys think.. U think its too much, too little, or just right???

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by freak_of_nature_86
    I usually do 16-20 sets for big bodyparts (chest, back, shoulders, quads), 12-16 sets for small bodyparts (bicep, tricep, hamstrings), 8-10 sets for calves, and 3 excercises for abs.
    The chest is a small bodypart as are the shoulders. Most people overwork the chest despite the fact that its smaller than the trapezius and the lats for example. In terms of volume, one pec probably isn't much different to one tricep. Triceps are bigger than biceps which should have even less sets. Hamstrings count as a big bodypart.

To answer the question though, I would probably do 10-12 sets for big bodyparts and 6-8 for smaller ones. If I'm doing HIT though (restpause, forced reps and drop sets etc), I would do one set per exercise consisting of three exercises. So that would be 3 sets per bodypart, regardless of size.
    Last edited by Flexor; 12-25-2005 at 04:14 PM.

Bigpup101 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    The chest is a small bodypart as are the shoulders. Most people overwork the chest despite the fact that its smaller than the trapezius and the lats for example. In terms of volume, one pec probably isn't much different to one tricep. Triceps are bigger than biceps which should have even less sets. Hamstrings count as a big bodypart.

To answer the question though, I would probably do 10-12 sets for big bodyparts and 6-8 for smaller ones. If I'm doing HIT though (restpause, forced reps and drop sets etc), I would do one set per exercise consisting of three exercises. So that would be 3 sets per bodypart, regardless of size.

Right on bro..you keep beating me to it!...People spend so much time and sets on chest, when it is a small bodypart in comparison to the back i do 9 sets tops for chest usually dips, a pressing movement and flyes..and shoulders are small as well so i throw them in there with chest. same triceps are bigger than bi's but ppl focus so hard on getting their bi's to "peak" that the neglect their tri's and are not proportionate

i do 4 exercises for chest, 4 sets each, if i do less than that i dont feel like ive done enough, sometimes i do 5 exercises

Flexor is offline Banned
    Bigpup, welcome to 'the shit' club. Current members are myself, Papi93, S.P.G and Narkissos. Elite...

There would be others, but they aren't around at the right time at the right posts where we are all at

Wait, I've also gotta add sputnik
    Last edited by Flexor; 12-25-2005 at 05:28 PM.

Bigpup101 is offline Senior Member
    Bigpup, welcome to 'the shit' club. Current members are myself, Papi93, S.P.G and Narkissos. Elite...

There would be others, but they aren't around at the right time at the right posts where we are all at

lmao nice

cant u do like 20-24 sets for the larger parts and 16 sets for the smaller parts while you're on a cycle??

Polska is offline Anabolic Member
    cant u do like 20-24 sets for the larger parts and 16 sets for the smaller parts while you're on a cycle??
    it all depends on your genetics. Arnold preached high sets. Other BB's preach low. Everybody's different

how many sets do u do for each bodypart while on a cycle??

Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    12 for the big muscle groups (chest, back, shoulders, legs)
    6 for bis and tris
    calves and abs: whatever.

thats it?? i dont think my body would grow from that,

mesomorph is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigpup101
    Right on bro..you keep beating me to it!...People spend so much time and sets on chest, when it is a small bodypart in comparison to the back i do 9 sets tops for chest usually dips, a pressing movement and flyes..and shoulders are small as well so i throw them in there with chest. same triceps are bigger than bi's but ppl focus so hard on getting their bi's to "peak" that the neglect their tri's and are not proportionate
    Very cool. I do 7 - 9 sets on most body parts. I can do more every few months to mix things up, keep from stagnating, but after a while I overtrain & am back to 7 - 9.

thats it?? i dont think my body would grow from that,
    If I do anymore I wont grow. Less is more for me.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Testsubject
    If I do anymore I wont grow. Less is more for me.
    100% agreed. Sometimes I have done only 6 sets for legs and have felt bloody great because of the incredibly high intensity with which I did my sets.

chest6 is offline Banned
    I usually stick to 12 or so for big bodyparts and 6-8 for smaller. Shoulders are a small bodypart.

You need to do 4 different excersises to hit all the heads so i consider it a large muscle group, but size wise, ya they're small.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Well, like flexor and many others said, the front and rear heads are hit enough with Chest and Back exercises, respectably. I did do front and rear raises on shoulder days and they and many others told me to ditch them. The shoulder group is large as a whole but I'm mainly limiting it to medial right here.

Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    Well, like flexor and many others said, the front and rear heads are hit enough with Chest and Back exercises, respectably. I did do front and rear raises on shoulder days and they and many others told me to ditch them. The shoulder group is large as a whole but I'm mainly limiting it to medial right here.
    Interesting. I only train my shoudlers once every two weeks, but I would say your right, they probably do get hit enough on chest and back day. Im gonna try cutting front and rear raises out and focus on presses and the medial head for a little while and see how that works. Training shoulders once per week shouldnt be a problem then.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Interesting. I only train my shoudlers once every two weeks, but I would say your right, they probably do get hit enough on chest and back day. Im gonna try cutting front and rear raises out and focus on presses and the medial head for a little while and see how that works.
    that should work well, Im gonna be doing the same.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Rear raises are BS. There is shitty leverage when your arms are far out which means you can't complete a full ROM.

Rear raises are BS. There is shitty leverage when your arms are far out which means you can't complete a full ROM.
    Dont have your arms that far out, bring them in a bit, you'll be able to hit the rear head better that way anyways.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Dont have your arms that far out, bring them in a bit, you'll be able to hit the rear head better that way anyways.
    I'll stick with compound bent over rowing with the elbows in a midposition between perpendicular to the torso and parallel to it. That hits the rear head but allows you to use far more weight. Also you can hyperextend the humerus behind the back, and since the rear head is the only hyperextender of the shoulder, it gets a great working. Isolating the deltoids is a waste of time IMO, unless for the medial deltoid because it is hard to hit with a comfortable compound exercise. Supinated grip pullups are also excellent for hitting the rear delts as well as lats and biceps.

No I'll stick with the compound bent over rowing with the elbows in a midposition between perpendicular torso and parallel. That hits the rear head but allows you to use far more weight. Also you can hyperextend the humerus behind the back, and the rear head is the only hyperextender of the shoulder so it gets a great working. Isolating the deltoids is a waste of time IMO, unless for the medial deltoid because it is hard to hit with a comfortable compound exercise.
    Oh ya, do whatever you want, I was just saying if your having a problem heres one solution, it works for me. I used to hate rear delt raises too until I figures out what position to be in so the excersice would be beneficial.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Oh ya, do whatever you want, I was just saying if your having a problem heres one solution, it works for me. I used to hate rear delt raises too until I figures out what position to be in so the excersice would be beneficial.
    I wasn't saying what you said is wrong. If you feel they are useful, its good that you found a way to perform them better and I'm sure it works. I'll never do them though.

I wasn't saying what you said is wrong.
    I know that.

MASTER is offline "I Own You"
    Plenty

how many sets do u guys do for each body party while on a cycle??

chest6 is offline Banned
    same # of sets man

shouldnt u do more while your on?

mesomorph is offline Associate Member
    I tried doing more a few times when on, and everytime I overtrained, just as when off. Eventually found out that for me the gains are still maximized with the same number of sets as off.

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    I give shoulders their own day and do 12 sets, 6 of those to failure with as much weight as possible.

chest6 is offline Banned
    yes, juice or no juice, you can easily overtrain. Only thing you should really do while using aas is increase the cals. Protein synthesis is greatly increased.

Thread Information