Bouncer1982 is offline Associate Member

Arrow Sport Work outs?

I need some advice with what Training would suit for my Sporting needs,My sport of choice is Rugby League and was wondering what excersises whould you guys recommend for this sport, I need short explosive speed but also need endurance as a former 300lb person I have dropped my weight down to 245lbs but still lack speed. Any help from anyone would be appreciated here is a pic for you guys to tell me what else I should be doing before my upcoming season
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sport Work outs?-000_0072.jpg  

sputnik is offline Banned
    hey mate

are u thinking about weight training or cardio stuff aswell? I could certainly suggest some of the lifts used by rugby union players...just not 100% sure of typical training used by league players

Yeah Mate, probably both - but more or less what Strength Training excersisies I need and excersises To get a better Burst of speed from a standing start and just overall fitness. My fitness level now is only at about 50-60% Of my maximum fitness I would say. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

well I'm not the biggest proponent of the principle of specificity, but i guess those that follow that theory would suggest doing power cleans in order to build explosiveness in sports. I just love power cleans.

I do however think that for rugby, doing power cleans, squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, push presses and benches will build power, strength, size and speed. For example, I used to be one fast 100m sprinter when in my teens....squats have enabled me to get almost as fast as when i was 17, and I'm now 32. For me, squats have built power and speed.

Of course the above should be used with a mix of sprint training and plyometrics.

Yeah I was the same in my teens until i put on alot of mass so thats why I know the speed is there to be regained. Thanks for that I will use these excersises as my Base Training.

Have you got any recommenadtions on how to do the sprint training?

check out the sprint articles by Loki http://magazine.mindandmuscle.net ...u'll also find some very useful articles on weight training, particularly on the lifts I've mentioned.

Also, u may want to have a look at this useful link for rugby union training http://www.scrum.com/fitness/strength/exercisespc.asp

Please let me know how u go.

No Worries I will keep you updated

Thread Information