View Poll Results: Your best 225 max reps ever in your life.

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-5

4 7.84%
  • 6-10

8 15.69%
  • 11-16

17 33.33%
  • 17-22

7 13.73%
  • 23-28

6 11.76%
  • 29-33

1 1.96%
  • 34-38

1 1.96%
  • 39-43

2 3.92%
  • 44-49

1 1.96%
  • 50+

4 7.84%

Thread: 225 bench test

225 bench test

I use to love doing this once a week when I was lifting heavy.
    On my light chest day all I did was one or two sets of 225 to failure. It seemed to really help my bench go up.

ironmike250 is offline Associate Member
    ironike250 11-16

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    my personal best is 50... I will do this from time to time during contest training(powerlifting) as a finisher for bench mainly to pump as much blood as possible into the chest and arms in hopes to aid in recovery from heavy lifting.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Why is 225 the magic number? 50 reps at 225...is that even possible??!? Wouldn't that mean you can lift something like 400 or 500 for reps? Very bloody impressive dudes...

Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    Why is 225 the magic number? 50 reps at 225...is that even possible??!? Wouldn't that mean you can lift something like 400 or 500 for reps? Very bloody impressive dudes...
    it's just one of the NFL strength tests...

Its all endurance so you have to work at it for a few months, I did 49 or 50 back when I maxed 545 raw on bench. I think some guy did 60 or so in the NFL either this year or last.....not sure if that is the record or not.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone_Biggums
    it's just one of the NFL strength tests...

Its all endurance so you have to work at it for a few months, I did 49 or 50 back when I maxed 545 raw on bench. I think some guy did 60 or so in the NFL either this year or last.....not sure if that is the record or not.
    BLOODY HELL, that is amazing! People always say about how strength is the number one thing, but if you have that kind of endurance at that reasonably high strength, that is equally impressive as pure raw strength.

I think we need to have an endurance revolution. The lactic acid is not something to be toyed with

I honestly think 50 at 225 is way more impressive than 1 rep at 600. That is moving 5 tonnes compared to 0.2!

Bigpup101 is offline Senior Member
    never tried but i warm up from 135 for 20, then 225 20 then i start putting some realy weight on there lol..i'll try it my next chest workout and let you know

my personal best w/ 405 is 12 reps
    my personal best w/ 500 is 3 reps
    best raw max 545... and I agree it is a great test of strength and endurance! I look forward to this year and beating my old rep max of 50 w/ 225... this thread has me motivated!

225 for 50 reps is hella strong. I think Arnold used to be able to do it for 62 reps if that gives you guys an idea of how strong 225/50 really is. Nobody benching under 500 is going to be able to do this.

BullDogg20 is offline Member
    17 reps is my best, but that was a while ago before i joined the Military, i can do it about 12 times right now

chest6 is offline Banned
    Most I ever got was 24. Right now I can prolly get like 12..stupid cutting

diamonds is offline Banned
    HOLY CRAP!! Dudes...the record for the NFL is in the high 30's. Anyone who pushed 225 50 times would automatically be tested. Its just not physically possible, unless you are in the top .0001% of the population. I call BULLS**t on anyone that says they have done it. Just my 2 cents

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by diamonds
    HOLY CRAP!! Dudes...the record for the NFL is in the high 30's. Anyone who pushed 225 50 times would automatically be tested. Its just not physically possible, unless you are in the top .0001% of the population. I call BULLS**t on anyone that says they have done it. Just my 2 cents
    That was why I was initially skeptical, because NFL dudes tend to be pretty strong!! But bodybuilders or powerlifters are able to concentrate on size and strength goals unlike football players, so I reckon its possible that quite a few people beat the NFL record...

I did 49 or 50 and I was on Test/tren /Anadrol
    I do agree that 50 is amazing and 99.9% of people who lift could never do it even with drugs.

hard to believe... believe it! as stated above you need to probably be benching 500+ to even consider numbers like this... my best competition bench is 600... check out the WPO website... look at results for APF Southern States I took 2nd place to Dondell Blue @ 242 on Dec. 4... this sh*t ain't child's play... it's for real!

-RJstrong-

Quote Originally Posted by RJstrong
    hard to believe... believe it! as stated above you need to probably be benching 500+ to even consider numbers like this... my best competition bench is 600... check out the WPO website... look at results for APF Southern States I took 2nd place to Dondell Blue @ 242 on Dec. 4... this sh*t ain't child's play... it's for real!

-RJstrong-
    Was that Raw??? Also do you know if you compete in a shirted comp but bench raw if the bench will be recorded as a raw lift???? Just wondering because I'm thinking of doing a raw over 40 bench and would like to try for a state record...

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone_Biggums
    Was that Raw??? Also do you know if you compete in a shirted comp but bench raw if the bench will be recorded as a raw lift???? Just wondering because I'm thinking of doing a raw over 40 bench and would like to try for a state record...
    no... I was using a rage X... I don't think it will be recorded as raw (but don't quote me on that)... however, on the upside everyone there watching will know and will give you respect... I say go for it!
    Last edited by RJstrong; 12-23-2005 at 05:52 PM.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RJstrong

-RJstrong-
    Amazing...

Tell me, what is it that separates people that bench 1015lbs (I heard that was the new record) and those that bench 600. 600 is absolutely amazing and beyond 99% of people who even lift, but how can some lifters squeeze out another 400 lbs for a one rep lift? If its not 1015lbs its something around 900...

These individuals must be 1 in 10,000 or 100,000?

chest6 is offline Banned
    Amazing...

Tell me, what is it that separates people that bench 1015lbs (I heard that was the new record) and those that bench 600. 600 is absolutely amazing and beyond 99% of people who even lift, but how can some lifters squeeze out another 400 lbs for a one rep lift? If its not 1015lbs its something around 900...

These individuals must be 1 in 10,000 or 100,000?
    The raw record is in the 700s..715 I think. Either that or like 730. When you wear a bench shirt, it stretches and helps you press more weight. Its original purpose was to prevent injury, but they later found out you can press more weight. Different shirts help you press more and more weight..I bet that big dude that got 1005 can probably press 700 raw or so. However, you cant really bench 600 then throw a double ply on and expect to get 1000. You have to train with your shirt, lockouts, with boards etc etc.

Care to elaborate RJ? You would know a lot more than me.

Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    The raw record is in the 700s..715 I think. Either that or like 730. When you wear a bench shirt, it stretches and helps you press more weight. Its original purpose was to prevent injury, but they later found out you can press more weight. Different shirts help you press more and more weight..I bet that big dude that got 1005 can probably press 700 raw or so. However, you cant really bench 600 then throw a double ply on and expect to get 1000. You have to train with your shirt, lockouts, with boards etc etc.

715lbs by Scott Mendelson is the raw record.

mass junkie is offline banned
    I tried this sometime awhile back just as a fluke and got 32 reps

Quote Originally Posted by chest6

I think you summed it up rather nicely... seems to be so many different variables involved in why someone can get more out of a shirt then others... everyone has different weak points some are strong off the bottom others have a stronger lock out so finding a shirt that accomodates your strengths and weaknesses is important... when it comes to powerlifting (unless you compete raw) raw strength is somewhat meaningless its all about how strong you are in gear... and as chest6 has pointed out the best of the best have mastered technique and have trained for years to put up these types of numbers, obviously it doesn't happen overnight... I will leave you with this... what seems unimaginable to the average person is just another day in the gym to a powerlifter!

Good points about using the shirt in practice. I've done powerlifting meets and I have literally seen a guy with a canvas shirt (open back w/straps) lift off with 600+ pounds and then the shirt was so tight that it wouldn't let the bar touch his chest, it just stayed like an inch over his chest until the judge called it off. Obviously the guy never used the shirt before.
    Last edited by NYC BIG MIKE; 12-24-2005 at 01:32 AM.

bonsey is offline Junior Member
    Holy shit I'm weak . i can only do 225 for 12 reps.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Here is Scott Mendelson. This is a media shot showing him next to 821lbs, which he must have done with a shirt.

Is it necessary to carry quite a high body fat percentage to help stabilise the weight when you lift raw? I'm noticed that some huge lifters have quite a lot of fat over their muscle...or is that just so they are able to bulk easier and maintain their muscle? This Scott guy isn't that fat at all though, looks like maybe 15-17%?
    Last edited by Flexor; 12-28-2005 at 05:17 AM.

Flexor is offline Banned
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Bench_press.gif

How much is this army guy lifting in the pic? I don't know what those weights are...

Here is Scott Mendelson. This is a media shot showing him next to 821lbs, which he must have done with a shirt.

Is it necessary to carry quite a high body fat percentage to help stabilise the weight when you lift raw? I'm noticed that some huge lifters have quite a lot of fat over their muscle...or is that just so they are able to bulk easier and maintain their muscle? This Scott guy isn't that fat at all though, looks like maybe 15-17%?

He's a powerlifter, not a bodybuilder. He is also a super heavyweight so he needs not make a weight class. The only way extra weight could hinder him is if two super heavyweights lift the same weight and one is 2 pounds lighter, the lighter guy wins if it's based on the same amount of attempts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Bench_press.gif

How much is this army guy lifting in the pic? I don't know what those weights are...

385 pounds.

Bar 45#, 6 453 plates, 2 25# plates, and 2 10# plates.

Notice no collars, not smart, spotter or not.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NYC BIG MIKE
    385 pounds.

Thanks.

The spotter looks anxious, probably thinking he's not going to get the weight back up. How could a spotter help if he couldn't lift it from his chest anyway? To be honest I think his elbows are too far out from his body, his wrists are are not in line with his elbows, his grip is too wide do you agree?

What would be the reason for now using collars anyway, seems pretty stupid not to use any...

Some guys are too cool for collars........until they experience spillage.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Haha yeah. The only time I don't use collars is when I'm doing some easy warm up sets and I'll be slapping more plates on in a few seconds' time...

385 pounds.

345 actually..those are 10 lb and 5 lb plates on the bar

Thanks.

The spotter looks anxious, probably thinking he's not going to get the weight back up. How could a spotter help if he couldn't lift it from his chest anyway? To be honest I think his elbows are too far out from his body, his wrists are are not in line with his elbows, his grip is too wide do you agree?

What would be the reason for now using collars anyway, seems pretty stupid not to use any...

thats about the same width i use when i becnh as well, and the spotter def. looks anxious, but he doesnt need to be able to lift off that weight, if you lift correctly he should only need to use a small amount of force to help those one or two last reps

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigpup101
    thats what i was thinking

Polska is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigpup101
    looks like 385 to me. they are the exact same weights used at my gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Polska
    looks like 385 to me. they are the exact same weights used at my gym.

It is 385. These kids think they know everything. It's Iron Grip plates. 25's come right out to the hole where you grip it. Good call Polska.

oldman is offline Anabolic Member

No joke I sw it happen 2 weeks ago at my gym.. I guy with too much on the incline bench and NO Spotter.. I did not see him until the weights started sliding off. First one side and after it fell the other side and back and forth until the bar was empty. Big fool.. I ripped into him for lifting without collars but no spotter on weight he had no business trying.. Baffoon.

Anyway.. back to the topic.. I have never been strong on bench so I would say probably right now I would push 225 for 12-14 max.

Oldman

craneboy is offline Senior Member
    i did 15 one day for warmup, can do more but never tried

Thread Information