Superballer is offline Associate Member

How to add weight for weighted dips?

Tried some weighted dips the other day. Couldn't really find a good way to add the weight to my body... kinda held a dumbell with my feet, but that was really awkward.

Any better suggestions?

Thanks

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    If you have the money, purchase a dip belt. If you want to save a few bucks, you can get a hook that attaches to your weightlifting belt (if you use one) and attach plates there. I've used both and the former is much more comfortable.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Putting it between the legs is uncomfortable. My buddy, in college, used this method but I hated it.

Superballer is offline Associate Member
    Thanks Papi... I'll look into that. just purchased straps for my trap exercises and couldn't believe what a difference having the right equipment made.

I'll definately look into a dip belt.

Anyone else have any methods that work for them?

Yeah... the between the legs sucks... I seen someone do it once and they made it look easy but I looked like a fool... haha
    Last edited by Superballer; 12-28-2005 at 06:56 PM.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    You could also you bands to apply resistance. Wrap them around both shoulders and underneath the dip station (so they are anchored). As you extend your arms the exercise will become more difficult. It basically overloads your strongest ROM and makes the exercise easier on your weaker ROM.

godkilla is offline Senior Member
    i got adjustable dumbbells at home, so i just leave them loose enough to get my legs inbetween the plates. works everytime...... but then again my thighs are only 26 inch. might not work for you bigger guys.

sputnik is offline Banned
    The other way is to do what I used to do….grab either a lifting belt or a rope to tie around u, and hang a hook of some sort off it….I did this with 80lbs hanging off for 3x12. And it’s how I currently do weighted pull ups.

lzicc is offline Senior Member
    I used to use a book bag that you put on your back like a backpack and filled it up with weights. That actually worked out pretty good. I latter purchased a dip belt.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by lzicc
    I used to use a book bag that you put on your back like a backpack and filled it up with weights. That actually worked out pretty good. I latter purchased a dip belt.
    I should of thought of that one. Kind of like a military rucksack (or whatever they call it). Good one, bro!

sputnik is offline Banned
    I tried that once with dips, but the centre of gravity was just all wrong for me.

SoulCard is offline Associate Member
    when my gym didnt have a dip belt available, i used my regular belt and a strap with a ring on the end of it (the kind that is used on the high or low cable pully machine) and just borrowed a clip from wherever and strapped the wieght on...it held it very high into my body, but worked in a pinch...

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lzicc
    I use that, no dip belt for me

lzicc is offline Senior Member
    The one drawback on the book bag is that you can only put in so much weight. Once I hit the limit, I had to go to a belt.

oldman is offline Anabolic Member
    I have always hated the weighted dip belt. It is hard to keep on your hip and swings around as you dip, like having 45lbs balls.

I just ordered one of these >> http://www.weightvest.com/Pages/50lbpage.html I can't wait for it to get here.

This will be great for all kinds of training.

Oldman

Flexor is offline Banned
    I agree on the limit you can use with a bag. I've got up to 40 with two 20s, so its acceptable at the moment.

Oldman, that vest looks very practical and well fitted. It may restrict the ability to do an ROM with pullups though, do you think? What would you do if you want to add more than 50lbs? Maybe you could wear the vest, and have a dip belt but with only a little weight so you don't have to rely on it fully.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    I agree on the limit you can use with a bag. I've got up to 40 with two 20s, so its acceptable at the moment.

Oldman, that vest looks very practical and well fitted. It may restrict the ability to do an ROM with pullups though, do you think? What would you do if you want to add more than 50lbs? Maybe you could wear the vest, and have a dip belt but with only a little weight so you don't have to rely on it fully.

this particular brand is really different from the others as it does not restrict your movements (or it is suppose to be better). you buy the Max weight you want and then if you want more you can add a weight belt and hang less weight below so it does not swing as much.

I hope that mine will be here tomorrow so I can start using it. I bought one for me and one for my wife so we will see how it goes on a female also.. I will post results after a few weeks of using it.

Oldman

Sweet they came in today.. haha the post office lady drove up my driveway and honked and told me I had to come carry the packages up.. both of them over 50#'s each.. hahaha..

I will post how things go with training with them

Bigpup101 is offline Senior Member
    my gym has weveral belts desinged for adding weight fior dips/chins

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman
    I have always hated the weighted dip belt. It is hard to keep on your hip and swings around as you dip, like having 45lbs balls.

I just ordered one of these >> http://www.weightvest.com/Pages/50lbpage.html I can't wait for it to get here.

This will be great for all kinds of training.

Oldman
    Valuable tool but very expensive.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Sweet they came in today.. haha the post office lady drove up my driveway and honked and told me I had to come carry the packages up.. both of them over 50#'s each.. hahaha..

I will post how things go with training with them
    I bloody love parcels!! I'm currently awaiting some new powerlifting straps from ebay.co.uk, ones with some foam padding in. I was using some old ones from decades ago that my dad used and they weren't entirely comfortable for me.

Let us know how it goes, should be interesting.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I bloody love parcels!! I'm currently awaiting some new powerlifting straps from ebay.co.uk, ones with some foam padding in. I was using some old ones from decades ago that my dad used and they weren't entirely comfortable for me.

Let us know how it goes, should be interesting.
    Don't let Sputnik see you are using those padded weight straps. You know how old-school he is . Just use some chalk, bro! JK

Quote Originally Posted by Papi93
    Valuable tool but very expensive.

I know but I spoil myself with all the toys.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I know but I spoil myself with all the toys.
    ...and your lady. I can't say too much because I just bought mine a gym membership. We start working out together Monday. How is it working out with your woman? I think it will be cool by my friends are saying it is a mistake.

ive only done it once or twice...it was ok, but im not sure i would like it every time...I kinda see it as my space and my time...boundries for us, ya know?

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulCard
    ive only done it once or twice...it was ok, but im not sure i would like it every time...I kinda see it as my space and my time...boundries for us, ya know?
    I did that with my last girlfriend and she (over 10 years) really became a fat, lazy woman. I don't want the same thing to happen to my new girlfriend. I can already see that she is putting bodyfat on her midsection. This girls abs were ripped when we met (gymnast build). I think if she comes to the gym with me, it will encourage her to take better care of herself.

i can hear ya there...my goes to the golds near her 3 on 2 off pretty much on the same schedule as me, so it works nicely for us and we usually get togehter later in the day and compare notes, etc...it works for us...

...and your lady. I can't say too much because I just bought mine a gym membership. We start working out together Monday. How is it working out with your woman? I think it will be cool by my friends are saying it is a mistake.

Actually I do Cardio in the AM and my wife has a personal trainer which she has had for about a year now and then in the PM I lift and she spots me. We have worked out on and off for years and things were okay but it took a lot of time for us to change the weights around for both of us to work out together but we do everything together so we like it.

Some guys at the gym wonder how I can workout with my wife as they go to the gym to get away from theirs but I guess each person has their outlet to relieve stress.

Good luck with your lady, I hope it works for you two.

Oldman

Flexor is offline Banned
    (gymnast build)
    Here, you have said enough my friend. Ohh, the tone

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Here, you have said enough my friend. Ohh, the tone
    And the tight booty!

Thread Information