Thread: 30 seconds rest

Bigpup101 is offline Senior Member

30 seconds rest

Ok so here's my workout for yesterday..let me start by saying i am used to 3-4 mins rest between sets and about 5 mins between exercises, i've been doin this for 5 years now if i make a change its always with the amount of reps never mess with rest periods, well yesterday i changed it up and kept my rest periods at 30 seconds with 2 minutes between excersises..NUTS! to say the least . I dont really get sore anymore, and if i am it usually hits after 2 days and is gone the following..well i was sore last night! 8 hours after working out and today it feels like someone took a baseball bat and slammed each pec with it and then the same to my tri's

here's my routine with weights (the lbs in which i could lift dropped dramaticlly due to such short rest periods)

flyes- warm up 50lbs x18, 80x 12, 90x7

dips- (weighted) 45lb x14, 45x10, 25x10

flat barbell bench- 315x9, 295x10, 275x10

inc. dumbell press- 120x 6, 100x6. 90x8

shoulder press 245x 5, 225 x 6, 205x 7

push downs 2 sets

extentions 2 sets

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigpup101
    Ok so here's my workout for yesterday..let me start by saying i am used to 3-4 mins rest between sets and about 5 mins between exercises, i've been doin this for 5 years now if i make a change its always with the amount of reps never mess with rest periods, well yesterday i changed it up and kept my rest periods at 30 seconds with 2 minutes between excersises..NUTS! to say the least . I dont really get sore anymore, and if i am it usually hits after 2 days and is gone the following..well i was sore last night! 8 hours after working out and today it feels like someone took a baseball bat and slammed each pec with it and then the same to my tri's
    I liked using shorter rest periods after I had plateaued with a strength phase. It gives your body an unloading period and you will come back stronger than ever (in the long-term, of course).

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigpup101
    here's my routine with weights (the lbs in which i could lift dropped dramaticlly due to such short rest periods)

flyes- warm up 50lbs x18, 80x 12, 90x7

dips- (weighted) 45lb x14, 45x10, 25x10

flat barbell bench- 315x9, 295x10, 275x10

inc. dumbell press- 120x 6, 100x6. 90x8

shoulder press 245x 5, 225 x 6, 205x 7

push downs 2 sets

extentions 2 sets
    I would drop the flyes and insert side laterals or wide-grip upright rows for the lateral delts. Are you using the flyes to pre-exhaust the pecs?

Flexor is offline Banned
    Congrats, you have just hit more muscle fibres than you ever have done!! By not resting, the fibres you used in your set have not recovered, and your body recruits additional fibres deeper within the muscle. Therefore you get more ache and more growth!!

Same theory as drop sets, except the rest is shorter, and the same as rest-pause. Also you are performing the same work in probably half the time, therefore you are developing more power.

Quote Originally Posted by Papi93
    I would drop the flyes and insert side laterals or wide-grip upright rows for the lateral delts. Are you using the flyes to pre-exhaust the pecs?

i forgot write that down..sorry hea i did upright rows after the press

135x10, 135x8, 115 x9...and yea it was just a total switch in routine, i usually do flyes at the very end but i'm gonna switch it up for a couple of weeks

Quote Originally Posted by flexor
    Congrats, you have just hit more muscle fibres than you ever have done!! By not resting, the fibres you used in your set have not recovered, and your body recruits additional fibres deeper within the muscle. Therefore you get more ache and more growth!!

Same theory as drop sets, except the rest is shorter, and the same as rest-pause. Also you are performing the same work in probably half the time, therefore you are developing more power.
    thats idea brother! lol it was def. a good feeling

Thread Information