PapaPump8 is offline Junior Member

Need a back routine!

Okay yesterday came on here got a chest rountine and it was a great workout...I did 12 sets instead of 16 and I just lifted way heaver and I was burt out with a great pump...

Now i need a back rountine I'm 6'2 190 looking to get bigger so hook me up with a good routine...please break it down in lamins terms sometimes i don't understand the lingo...thanks

Flexor is offline Banned
    Hey dude, sorry if I wrote shit you didn't get yesterday. Sometimes I don't get myself

You can try something like this. After this you can do a small bicep workout

3 x deadlift<----excellent all-round back exercise
    3 x wide overhand chins
    3 x narrow overhand chins (assisted with the lever or do negatives) or pulldowns
    3 x DB or BB bent over rowing <---excellent all-round back exercise.
    3 x shrugs

The rows will hit the middle of your back hard, whilst the shrugs will hit the top, and the deadlifts will hit the top and middle. The chins and/or pulldowns will hit your lats as you know. This is 15 sets for your back in total. You could then do six sets for biceps if you are doing them on your back day. Your back routine will have hit them hard already, so you don't need a huge bicep workout.

These types of exercises are best for mass. Try to avoid cables and machines, free weights are best for mass. Only if you have a bad lower back should you do machines or cables as there is less stress if you use those. You could alternate every few weeks between dumbells and barbells for rowing.

Hope this helps bro

3 x wide overhand chins
    3 x narrow overhand chins (assisted with the lever or do negatives) or pulldowns

why em i such an idiot and don't understand these 2 excerises which ones are they can you explain!

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaPump8
    3 x wide overhand chins

why em i such an idiot and don't understand these 2 excerises which ones are they can you explain!
    I saw your PM, check my reply..you aren't an idiot

Okay thank you very much I understand now i now how to do them im just not very good on the online lingo...thanks man!

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaPump8
    Okay thank you very much I understand now i now how to do them im just not very good on the online lingo...thanks man!
    No problem, happy to help. You will gradually pick up the lingo if you stick around here and post questions or answer threads.

Superballer is offline Associate Member
    ^^^^^ very true... I was confused for a while but now it starts to make sense.

Don't forget to google exercises that you don't recognize or use something like abcbodybuilding.com .

that's helped me alot to figure out what the hell all you guys are talking about! lol.

Alright now i have a question.

From what I gather it seems that different types of chinups are preferred to pulldowns....

why is this?

I'm not strong enough to do very many chinups (only 3 or 4 by my 3rd set).
    My gym doesn't have a machine to assist with chinups.

How should I work to get over this situation? More pulldowns?

Thanks

Chemical King is offline Anabolic Member
    where chinups are concerned i would normaly set myself a target of say 3 sets of 10.

If for some reason i get to 5 reps in my first set but cant go on i chil for a few seconds then do another 5. and there you have it, 1 set. Then repeat. It doesnt matter how long it takes me as long as it gets done

ODC0717 is offline Anabolic Member
    Here's my back routing

Curl Grip Pull Up superset with Hammer Strength Pull down
    Deadlift
    Narrow Close Grip Chins (weighted)
    Hammer Strength Seated Row
    Barbell Row
    Barbell Shrug
    Weighted Hyperextension

3-4 sets depending on how heavy you are going. Some days I really like to pump my back up and do just chin up, but different variations with different type of grips. I don't do wide grip chins anymore because I don't feel my lats are firing throughout the entire motion. Using a curl grip, though, I feel I have a greater range of motion.

ChemKing - sounds good bro... good suggestion.

Anyone else with any reason why pulldowns are inferior?

ODC0717 is offline Anabolic Member
    Do some chins with your bodyweight, go weigh yourelf then do the same weight for pulldowns and tell me which one is harder and therein lies your answer.

Makes sense. No weigh in hell I could do 180 lbs with pulldowns.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Superballer
    Alright now i have a question.

From what I gather it seems that different types of chinups are preferred to pulldowns....

why is this?

I'm not strong enough to do very many chinups (only 3 or 4 by my 3rd set).
    My gym doesn't have a machine to assist with chinups.

How should I work to get over this situation? More pulldowns?

Thanks
    I'll try to explain this the best I can...

Back in 1957, a doctor established that there were two types of exercises called open chain and closed chain. Open chain exercises are those in which the farthest (distal) component of your joint overcomes the load of the weight to raise it.

Closed chain exercises are those in which the distal component does not move, and instead it is the closer (proximal) component of the joint. However, you yourself are not overcoming the load of the weight. You are pushing against the resistance of the ground, and this raises the weight, you don't actually overcome the load of the weight.

To explain this, consider this. In the squat, your feet don't move, and yet the bar moves higher into the air because your knee has straightened and upper leg has moved. You haven't lifted the weight, you have pushed against the ground's resistance. Now consider the knee extension. Your lower leg moves and actually curls the weight up, and your upper leg is fixed.

The same can be applied to chins and pulldowns. In chins your hands are fixed and your body moves, whereas in pulldowns your body is fixed and your hands move. Unfortunately there is never really a clear distinction between closed and open chain, as in some cases both ends of the joint will move.

Neural activation patterns are different in leg extensions and the pulldown compared to the squat and the pullup, which is why it is good to include both types to force your nervous system to keep adapting so it is not limited in its progress. Pullups recruit more fibres than pulldowns because of this.

If a person that has never weightlifted calculates what equivalent weight they are doing in pressups compared to the bench press, if they then tried to bench press that weight they would fail. Say for example, a complete novice was theoretically doing pressups with 60% of his body weight for 30 reps, if he tried to bench press 60% of his bodyweight he wouldn't be able to manage 10 reps. Partly because less muscles are being used, but mainly because pressups are closed chain and bench presses are open chain. If you could appropriate weight pressups, you would activate more fibres than bench presses would at the same resistance.
    Last edited by Flexor; 12-30-2005 at 10:39 AM.

That actually made a lot of sense. Thanks flexor.

Something to chew on for a while.

xxxJUICExxx is offline Junior Member

Critique Please...

nice
    Last edited by xxxJUICExxx; 12-31-2005 at 04:24 AM. Reason: mistake

FIVE_8 is offline Banned
    deadlifts
    bent rows
    tbar rows
    yates rows
    reverse grip pull downs

BIGPHIL is offline Associate Member
    THis has worked for me so i may as well post it up for you to view:-

Wide arm chins (4 sets)
    Deadlifts (4-5 sets)
    Underam Barbell Rows (4-5 sets)

DB shrugs superset with upright row (2 sets)

Youv'e probably herd this a million times before but always remember to use a weight that incorporates every single muscle fibre in your desired body part that you wish to train..REALLY FEEL THE WEIGHT..LEAVE YOUR ****ING EGO AT THE DOOR BECASUE JUST TRYING TO SHOW OFF IN THE GYM WILL GET YOU NO WHERE...

AT THE END OF THE DAY YOUR NOT THERE TO SHOW OFF AT THE GYM YOUR THERE TO BUILD/TRAIN GET BETTER...SO IN A WAY THE GYM IS THE PLACE FOR YOU TO BE SEEN AS WEAK AND OUTSIDE THOSE GYM DOORS IS WHERE YOU SHOW YOUR STRENGTH...

Thread Information