Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member

Reps fpr growth/size

I know alot of people like to lift very heavy, low rep fro growth, but i thought 6-12 was the magic number?? i always see people saying 6-12 for growth, n lower then that for strength. So if strength isnt a concer(no power comps or nething) is it best to keep the reps between 6-12, and should i be going to failure on all my work sets?

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Machdiesel
    I know alot of people like to lift very heavy, low rep fro growth, but i thought 6-12 was the magic number?? i always see people saying 6-12 for growth, n lower then that for strength. So if strength isnt a concer(no power comps or nething) is it best to keep the reps between 6-12, and should i be going to failure on all my work sets?
    These are general reps ranges: strength 1-7 reps, hypertrophy 8-13 reps, and endurance 14-20+. Everyone is different, though. The rep range that works for you, might not work for someone else.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Papi93
    These are general reps ranges: strength 1-7 reps, hypertrophy 8-13 reps, and endurance 14-20+. Everyone is different, though. The rep range that works for you, might not work for someone else.
    Agreed, everyone's fibre ratios are different.

Generally your mass building should fit somewhere in 6-15, choosing either one end of that spectrum or the other. 8 or 12 is the best way of varying it. This range hits the most fast twitch fibres as they progressively fatigue.

Vary it,dont rely on one type of training.Incoropate drop sets,low rep,high rep,rest pause ect ect.Try to confuse the muscle and stimulate it in different ways.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by Machdiesel
    i would think training to failureon every exercisewould fry your cns, shoot for failure on your last set of an exercise, if you tried to failure every set, you would ruin yourself

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    i would think training to failureon every exercisewould fry your cns, shoot for failure on your last set of an exercise, if you tried to failure every set, you would ruin yourself
    Yes its not necessary to shake like a leaf, that just takes away from the training and means recovery is longer when it needn't be.

ODC0717 is offline Anabolic Member
    I follow a Yates type of method. Warming up with relativley decent weight for a couple of sets, then onto the heavy shit, maybe one or two sets to absolute failure, and I mean failure. I only do this with one compound movement per muscle group and I've found for me it's more then enough to make me very sore for a few days.

Thread Information