Thread: decline

pilipo is offline Junior Member

decline

ive been reading alot of workouts on this forum and noticed that nobody does decline for chest any reason for this?

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pilipo
    ive been reading alot of workouts on this forum and noticed that nobody does decline for chest any reason for this?
    Yeah, either people are neglecting their lower chest and not realising it, or they are doing chest dips on the parallel bars. These are far superior to delcine bench because you totally change the plane of movement so that its 90 degrees different to the flat bench, rather than say 25 degrees. Dips are like decline, but taken to the extreme. To do them, mount the bars, lean forward slightly, hands spaced slightly more than shoulder width, elbows away from your body, lower yourself and press back to the starting position. They are also a great, great tricep exercise if you stay more upright, take a narrower hand spacing and keep your elbows tucked in more.

ODC0717 is offline Anabolic Member
    I do decline dumbbell presses along with weighted bar dips. I cycle both in and out of my chest program, but one of them stays while the other takes a break.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ODC0717
    I do decline dumbbell presses along with weighted bar dips. I cycle both in and out of my chest program, but one of them stays while the other takes a break.
    Yeah, if I was going to do decline, it would definitely be with dbs for comfort, and stimulation. A couple of sets of them after dips would be good as the angle is slightly different.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    alot of powerlifters hit decline up, it is like a partial press, it is a great movement

upper chest

what if my upper chest need alot more work should i avoid decline and shift the focus to incline? i already do incline first then flat followed by either dips or decline maybe drop the decline and add another incline exercise? what do you think?

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pilipo
    what if my upper chest need alot more work should i avoid decline and shift the focus to incline? i already do incline first then flat followed by either dips or decline maybe drop the decline and add another incline exercise? what do you think?
    What do you define by your upper chest? The thing is, the clavicular pectoralis major head originates on the medial half of the clavicle, not the sternum. Despite what many believe, the upper chest is only a thin band right at the top of the chest. The pec running up the sternum all the way to your collar bones is the lower pec muscle. If you are lacking in anywhere other than in this highlighted region (http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/PectoralisClavicular.html), then incline work will not help you. Everyone has different shaped pecs with more mass in certain areas of the two separate heads.

Only do incline if you are lacking in the area shown in the link, otherwise concentrate on flat, decline and dips because that will increase the mass in the upper portion of the lower pec and improve shape. There is a boundary between the two pec heads, incline stops having much effect on the pecs as soon as you reach the boundary between them.

wow i feel stupid now i need more mass in my upper chest but more in the middle didnt realize i need to do decline to work upper chest

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I would never do decline presses with a b-bell, as the range of motion is ridiculously small. D-bells with a good stretch at the bottom is the best, for me anyhow. I make sure to not have the bench at too much of a decline, as that works against the purpose of the movement.

~SC~

tretch187 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    I would never do decline presses with a b-bell, as the range of motion is ridiculously small. D-bells with a good stretch at the bottom is the best, for me anyhow. I make sure to not have the bench at too much of a decline, as that works against the purpose of the movement.

~SC~
    Can you clarify the last part Swole??

I would think the more decline... the more it would be like dips. Not want that?

Thread Information