Thread: Women's split

suzuki99 is offline Associate Member

Women's split

im trying to help my friend with some goals, she doesnt really want to build much muscle, but really tone up, i understand high reps is what she wants to do, but how many excersises/sets per muscle group is desirable?

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by suzuki99
    im trying to help my friend with some goals, she doesnt really want to build much muscle, but really tone up, i understand high reps is what she wants to do, but how many excersises/sets per muscle group is desirable?
    High reps does not tone any more than lower reps, that is a very common myth. All it does is hit different muscle fibres that are not associated with major size increases. It also fatigues muscles a lot more and will increase endurance.

Tone is achieved through any type of repetitive duration exercise, and defintion is achieved through a loss of bodyfat. High reps would still be best for a woman looking for tone and not size though, because it will provide a workout not geared towards strength or size and this suits her goals. It will also be a kind of cardio workout. Your friend can lift weights with high reps for one cardio workout, then the other can be on the treadmill/elliptical/exercise bike.

She could do 2 sessions of 45 mins at 65% MHR on one of those, then 2 sessions with the machines or weights at high reps. 45 mins allows enough time for the body to start tapping into fat stores, whilst 65% MHR (220 - age x 0.65) causes the highest proportion of total calories burnt to have been from fat.

Unfortunately I cannot say how many exercises or sets per muscle group. There are personal trainers on here that deal with clients like your friend all day, no doubt you will get an answer from one of them in the next day or two.
    Last edited by Flexor; 12-30-2005 at 01:33 PM.

wild-one is offline Female Member
    I didn't know there was even such a thing as a "woman's split" ...how's it differ from a man's split? ...and more importantly....why?

suzuki99 is offline Associate Member
    i almost NEVER see women with good female looking bodys in the gym doing nothing but chest, or even chest and tris.

wild-one is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suzuki99
    i almost NEVER see women with good female looking bodys in the gym doing nothing but chest, or even chest and tris.
    Well I wouldn't put much stock into what people are doing at the gym...most don't have a flippin' clue

Thread Information