63190 is offline Anabolic Member

Clean & Press question.

So, I was doing a clean and press work out.
    1x3@135, 1x3@155, 1x3@165, 1x3@175
    Then I did the rest of my shoulder work out.
    Push press, super setted with bb front raises
    Heavy upright row super setted with heavy db laterals
    That was it because I was pressed for time.
    My question is, why are my serratus muscles sore?

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Are you leaning back, a lot, on your presses? There is an exercise for the serratus. Get into the bench press position, with the arms fully extended. Keep the arms fully extended and press the weight up using your serratus. This is why I ask about leaning back on your presses.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Sputnik, we need some help here. This is your specialty. Where are you? Flexor?

Flexor is offline Banned
    Yes, it sounds like it is caused by a natural protraction of the shoulder blades which occurs when you press when leaning backwards or lying down. Notice that if you do weighted pressups, your serratus will ache like hell because the mechanics are such that there is a lot force needed to protract your shoulder blades. Bench presses do not have this same effect because they are open chain. The closed chain pressups mean you have a more rigid platform and the serratus is involved more.

This means your hands are staying still and you are applying force to the ground rather than a weight, whereas in bench presses you stay still and your hands move to overcome the weight. Closed chain alters muscle recruitment patterns and increases stability.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    What do you think, Sputnik?

Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    Yes, it sounds like it is caused by a natural protraction of the shoulder blades which occurs when you press when leaning backwards or lying down. Notice that if you do weighted pressups, your serratus will ache like hell because the mechanics are such that there is a lot force needed to protract your shoulder blades. Bench presses do not have this same effect because they are open chain. The closed chain pressups mean you have a more rigid platform and the serratus is involved more.

This means your hands are staying still and you are applying force to the ground rather than a weight, whereas in bench presses you stay still and your hands move to overcome the weight. Closed chain alters muscle recruitment patterns and increases stability.
    You lost me bro. Is there a web site with pics I can visit?

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 63190
    You lost me bro. Is there a web site with pics I can visit?
    This is shoulder protraction.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...lderRaise.html

Notice that the arms are pressing vertically, but it is not the triceps or shoulders being worked. The pecs are involved a bit, but its mostly the serratus anterior. The serratus is pulling your shoulder blades apart

So, what you're saying is that I've got really sloppy form on my press part. I guess I need to concentrate on getting under the bar asap so I press over head and don't lean back. Gotcha!

Flexor is offline Banned
    So, what you're saying is that I've got really sloppy form on my press part. I guess I need to concentrate on getting under the bar asap so I press over head and don't lean back. Gotcha!
    Er, not necessarily sloppy form. What is happening to you is natural if you lean back, just try not to lean backwards from a safety point of view and you won't injure your back. Whether you are working the serratus or not is not the issue, it is whether you will get injured or not. So yeah, I guess it is form after all.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I can't say if your form is sloppy, unless I would see it. There will be some natural lean back. Don't worry about this because this is multi-joint power movement, not a strict bodybuilding exercise. Move as much weight as possible with solid technique. Yes, get under the bar as soon as possible. I wouldn't worry too much about the serratus being sore, if you feel like your form is good. If you start having problems with your lower back, then you might be arching too much.

Cool. I can move more weight with out squatting down parallel than if I go to or past parallel. I'll have to have a trainer watch me next time.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Cool. I can move more weight with out squatting down parallel than if I go to or past parallel. I'll have to have a trainer watch me next time.
    Sounds like a good idea. Have someone evaluate your form from a side view and they can tell you what it is like.

Thread Information