skinny e is offline New Member

what kind workut can i do with just dumbell .

iam skinny what kind of work outs can i do with a dumbell. i will also be getting a barbell. but i dont have a bench yet. thanks

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    There are various exercises you can do with D/B or just a B/B.

D/B
    (Back)
    One arm rows,
    shrugs,
    conventional rows,

(Biceps)
    variation of curls.
    Hammers,
    Alternative,

(Triceps)
    Two are skullkrushers,
    Two arm extension,

Legs
    D/B squats

(Shoulders)
    DB press
    Laterals

(Chest)
    Flat,
    Incline, press

but I would recommend investing in a bench ASAP.

And this isn’t even half the answer, you will need to read, read, read, up on every thing in site to gain size and strength, look to diet and training protocols once your sorted and have a bench ect, ect,
    Last edited by S.P.G; 12-31-2005 at 09:28 AM.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Good call, its mostly about research and trial and error.

If you get a bench, get one that has extendable bar support pillars so that you can use it as a squat rack and for seated military presses. Also get one with capability for incline/decline, ham curl/leg extension.

In my opinion, if youre serious about lifting and working out, you should just spend the monthly cost and get a membership at a gym. If youre 18 or younger or a college student you get a discount price at YMCA's....i pay like $11 a month to go to the Y, and its the nicest gym in town.

To buy all the equipment needed to get a good workout for every body part is not only going to be ridiculously expensive, youre not going to get the benefits of a gym. $11 i get all the equipment i need, plus a shower, steam room and sauna, a pool, raquet ball courts and a full size gym. The choice is up to you, you said you were skinny so you could get started building a base with the dumbells and the barbell, but eventually youre going to have to buy more equipment or join a gym. You can workout for a month at a gym for the price of a dumbell.

Quote Originally Posted by GunTotingHipGangster
    In my opinion, if youre serious about lifting and working out, you should just spend the monthly cost and get a membership at a gym. If youre 18 or younger or a college student you get a discount price at YMCA's....i pay like $11 a month to go to the Y, and its the nicest gym in town.

To buy all the equipment needed to get a good workout for every body part is not only going to be ridiculously expensive, youre not going to get the benefits of a gym. $11 i get all the equipment i need, plus a shower, steam room and sauna, a pool, raquet ball courts and a full size gym. The choice is up to you, you said you were skinny so you could get started building a base with the dumbells and the barbell, but eventually youre going to have to buy more equipment or join a gym. You can workout for a month at a gym for the price of a dumbell.
    good advice GUN.....

Flexor is offline Banned

Sounds badass, can I join ? I guess $11 is £7, that's nothing haha

There might be some transport difficulties though, trans-atlantic flight will work out pretty expensive if I fly there and back 3 days a week...

Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    Sounds badass, can I join ? I guess $11 is £7, that's nothing haha

There might be some transport difficulties though, trans-atlantic flight will work out pretty expensive if I fly there and back 3 days a week...
    LMAO AT FLEXOR HAAAAAA

i have one dumbell. the to join a gym here is 40 bucks a month. that for a 2 year contract. thats powerhouse gym.

is there some where he where i can see the various workouts.

Quote Originally Posted by skinny e
    i have one dumbell. the to join a gym here is 40 bucks a month. that for a 2 year contract. thats powerhouse gym.
    damm, you only have one DB go to a gym bro..
    Last edited by S.P.G; 01-01-2006 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by S.P.G
    damm, you only have one goin a gym bro.......Various Training Techniques

is there some where he where i can see the various workouts.
    Various Training Techniques

sputnik is offline Banned
    firstly u can do plenty if u have a barbell but no bench

bb rows
    power cleans
    clean & press

u name it...

with 1 dumbbell, other than those mentioned
    pull throughs - erectors
    side bends - obliques
    one arm shoulder standing press - shoulders
    one arm clean and press - shoulders, but also traps, erectors

the last two were very popular with old time strongmen,,,great lifts seldom used anymore

SVTMuscle* is offline Banned
    i do my entire workout with just dumbells and barbells, thats all you need my man, far more effective than machines

MASTER is offline "I Own You"
    You can do plenty with one dumbell!
    Dumbell Row
    Dumbell Flye
    Dumbell Curl
    Dumbell Press
    Dumbell Shoulder Press
    Lat raise
    Dumbell Shrug
    If u buy yourself another dumbell it will be even better, with 2 dumbells you can do :
    Dumbell Flyes
    Dumbell Presses
    Dumbell Curls
    Dumbell Rows
    Dumbell Shoulder Presses
    Lat Raises
    Dumbell Shrugs
    and many more!

thaks all for your help but iam a hardgainer. will i still need a bench .

Flexor is offline Banned
    if you aren't joining a gym, then yes. Preferably one that does many things...

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    It is nice but if finances are limited not an absolute must. A Russian Coach, that I study from, Pavel Tsatsoline (spelling) has people perform bench presses, db flyes, etc. from the floor. The biggest disadvantage is decreased ROM. For exercises such as shoulders presses, you do them from a standing position. These standing exercises are actually much better for functional strength and core strengthening. If you aspire to be a bodybuilder, though, a bench is a worthwhile investment.

Thread Information