Thread: Pec Deck only ?

eGGz is offline Anabolic Member

Pec Deck only ?

I recently injured my left shoulder. Now the only chest exercise I'm able to do is Pec Deck.

The last time I injured my shoulder it took 6 weeks before I was able to do much in the way of pressing movements for chest. 8-10 weeks before I could go heavy again.

Do you think my chest will look weird after 6-8 weeks of pec deck as the only chest exercise?

I don't want to do nothing at all for chest like I did the last time I got hurt.

Any suggestions, comments or insults will be appreciated.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by eGGz
    I recently injured my left shoulder. Now the only chest exercise I'm able to do is Pec Deck.

The last time I injured my shoulder it took 6 weeks before I was able to do much in the way of pressing movements for chest. 8-10 weeks before I could go heavy again.

Do you think my chest will look weird after 6-8 weeks of pec deck as the only chest exercise?

I don't want to do nothing at all for chest like I did the last time I got hurt.

To be honest, pec deck was always the hardest chest exercise on my shoulders. No other exercise ever caused discomfort.

How did you hurt your shoulder? It is important to find the cause so you can prevent it in the future. I've found the biggest assest to healthy shoulders, as it relates to pec work, is to create muscle balance between horizontal pushing (bench pressing) movements and horizontal pulling (rows) movements. Start with back, in your workout week, before chest. You will rarely see this done. Ninety-nine% of the population starts their week off with benching (men). I've found this most effective preventative measure for healthy shoulders (even more effective than specific rotator cuff work).

Papi93 is offline AR VET

Most past post is usually enough to prevent shoulder problems (related to chest work, that is). If not, than external rotation exercises for the shoulders should be included. Internal rotation exercises are really not necessary because we already get internal rotation during the bench press. Why would we want to make the problem worse?

Papi93 is offline AR VET

If you can not do chest pressing movements, I assume that you can not do a lateral or anterior delt exercises as well. If you are able to, I would forget the pec decks and concentrate on strengthening the posterior delts, rhomboids, mid and lower trapezius, lats, etc. Most people pay so much attention to chest work that they can really take some time off and work on the weaknesses. This can make your shoulders stronger and healthier in the long run.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Papi is right, a lot of injuries can occur through muscle strength imbalances.

Take the quads and hamstrings for example. The preferred strength ratio for static exercisesis 3:2, 1:1 for explosive concentrics and 2:1 for for slower contractions. A lot of people neglect their hamstrings with both direct curling movements, hip extension exercises and plyometric or explosive exercises, whilst they are hitting their quads hard with squats and lunges. This leads to a strength imbalance between the two opposing muscle groups

The same goes for the internal vs. external rotators. If your shoulders are up to it, overhead presses and cleans will strengthen your external rotators but they may cause further injury. It would be best to stick to rowing, both pullups and bent over exercises, and perhaps some minor external cuff work. This will strengthen the opposing muscles to the chest and may alleviate any imbalance you may have.

I can understand why the pec deck is less of a problem for you, because it is more stabilised, and it is also possible that that particular motion is better for your shoulders specifically.

Thanks for all the input and for the advice guys.

I'm not sure exactly how I hurt it. Following a chest workout it got increasingly sore and by the next morning I could not even raise my arm.

I certainly don't want to make it worse.

As far as my muscle developement goes I would say that chest is a weak point for me. That is why I want to at least do what I can for chest. I have always worked the opposing muscle groups with equality. Chest/Back, Bis/Tris, Quads/hams, Abs/spinal erectors, calfs/tibialis etc..

I can currently perform overhead pressing movements without any discomfort, but incline bench, flat bench are out of the question. front lateral raises are out too.

The pec deck does not hurt at all. So I'm assuming it is not causing any further injury. I guess I'll find out what effect it will have on chest developement.

Thanks again ~eGGz~

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Thanks for all the input and for the advice guys.

I'm not sure exactly how I hurt it. Following a chest workout it got increasingly sore and by the next morning I could not even raise my arm.

I certainly don't want to make it worse.

As far as my muscle developement goes I would say that chest is a weak point for me. That is why I want to at least do what I can for chest. I have always worked the opposing muscle groups with equality. Chest/Back, Bis/Tris, Quads/hams, Abs/spinal erectors, calfs/tibialis etc..

I can currently perform overhead pressing movements without any discomfort, but incline bench, flat bench are out of the question. front lateral raises are out too.

The pec deck does not hurt at all. So I'm assuming it is not causing any further injury. I guess I'll find out what effect it will have on chest developement.

Thanks again ~eGGz~
    Your anterior delts and triceps will probably experience atrophy, IMO. They are very heavily involved in horizontal multi-joint pushing movements. Without these movements, you will show a lack of hypertrophy in the chest.
    With pec decks, you will not be able to very the angle of bench either (be it decline or incline).
    Last edited by Papi93; 01-01-2006 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Papi93
    Your anterior delts and triceps will probably experience atrophy, IMO. They are very heavily involved in horizontal multi-joint pushing movements. Without these movements, you will show a lack of hypertrophy in the chest.
    With pec decks, you will not be able to very the angle of bench either (be it decline or incline).
    Yeah, I'll bet you are right. It will be interesting to see exactly what happens. I've always been a big believer in the compound movements. Basically the only exercises from my regular routine that I cannot do are incline bench, flat bench, upright rows and front lateral raises. As long as I can do the pec deck I'm going to hit it good and hard hoping to keep the impending atrophy to a minimum.

cheers ... ~eGGz~

Flexor is offline Banned
    Yeah, I'll bet you are right. It will be interesting to see exactly what happens. I've always been a big believer in the compound movements. Basically the only exercises from my regular routine that I cannot do are incline bench, flat bench, upright rows and front lateral raises. As long as I can do the pec deck I'm going to hit it good and hard hoping to keep the impending atrophy to a minimum.

cheers ... ~eGGz~
    If you can manage dips with your shoulder problem, that would help your chest no end. What about smith machine bench presses, the stability may help you?

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    If you can manage dips with your shoulder problem, that would help your chest no end. What about smith machine bench presses, the stability may help you?
    If he could do chest dips, there is a chance that he could do a decline press as opposed to a bench press. As you know, the decline press and chest dip have a very similar movement pattern.

Flexor is offline Banned
    If he could do chest dips, there is a chance that he could do a decline press as opposed to a bench press. As you know, the decline press and chest dip have a very similar movement pattern.
    Yes, and it might only take a very slightly different plane to solve his problems. For example, a straight overhead press is uncomfortable for my right shoulder, but a 45% incline is fine.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    Yes, and it might only take a very slightly different plane to solve his problems. For example, a straight overhead press is uncomfortable for my right shoulder, but a 45% incline is fine.
    A vertical back support was always harsh on my shoulder as well. I dropped the bench down slightly and it made it much more comfortable on my shoulders. You will recruit more of the anterior delts and pectorals but I rather train pain-free than worrying about taking a stress off of the medial delts. Wide-grip upright rows or lateral raises (I don't care for them very much) are always an option for hitting the medial delts.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    I would suggest seeking physio, determine if its muscle, joint, or ligament damage and proceed from there.. Total rest is not to be over looked.. I would suggest time off of upper body until it feels better.. But to be sure I would see a therapist

Flexor is offline Banned
    A vertical back support was always harsh on my shoulder as well. I dropped the bench down slightly and it made it much more comfortable on my shoulders. You will recruit more of the anterior delts and pectorals but I rather train pain-free than worrying about taking a stress off of the medial delts. Wide-grip upright rows or lateral raises (I don't care for them very much) are always an option for hitting the medial delts.
    Yes I'm afraid comfort always comes first for me, and probably most other self-respecting trainers. Sometimes you have to make compromises to save your joints and incorporate other exercises to make up for it.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by needmorestrength
    I would suggest seeking physio, determine if its muscle, joint, or ligament damage and proceed from there.. Total rest is not to be over looked.. I would suggest time off of upper body until it feels better.. But to be sure I would see a therapist
    That is true actually. Good point. His problem sounds rather vague, so it would be best to properly determine what it is so he can adjust his routine to avoid it in the future. And maybe some rest wouldn't go amiss either!

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Agreed. The problem is most people won't do this or can't afford it.

Thanks so much everyone for all the suggestions. I'll give the dips a try. I hate to completely stop working a muscle group unless there is no other alternative. I am reluctant to spend the money right now to see a therapist. If the problem persists then yes that is the next logical step.

Kudos to all ... ~eGGz~

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Thanks so much everyone for all the suggestions. I'll give the dips a try. I hate to completely stop working a muscle group unless there is no other alternative. I am reluctant to spend the money right now to see a therapist. If the problem persists then yes that is the next logical step.

Kudos to all ... ~eGGz~
    I understand.. its hard to stop.. and its somewhat expensive.. But its been injured once before, and last time it took 6 weeks? I wouldnt be pissing around thats for sure! I wouldnt be working out until I knew what it was. How is your range of motion?

Papi93 is offline AR VET

Kudos to all ... ~eGGz~
    What about the decline presses? Just use a pair of light db's to test the movement pattern.

I understand.. its hard to stop.. and its somewhat expensive.. But its been injured once before, and last time it took 6 weeks? I wouldnt be pissing around thats for sure! I wouldnt be working out until I knew what it was. How is your range of motion?
    Thanks for asking. When I first injured it I couldn't even raise my left arm. (hurt like hell) Now 3 weeks later it has improved to where I can at least raise the arm with minor discomfort. I'm hoping this is a sign that it is he****g. I do have full range of motion. I agree that the prudent thing to do would be to see a therapist.

Thread Information