bombastico is offline Junior Member

Increasing flexibility

First off, I'm not flexible at all. I can't even touch my toes standing up/bending over. These may sound like dumb questions, but I need to know:

Does stretching help increase flexibility (i hardly ever stretch)?
    Does the fact that I am not flexible and dont stretch hinder any muscle gain, while lifting? if so, how can I remedy this?

thanks!

rollinwkd is offline New Member
    being flexible is always going to workout to your advantage in anything

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by bombastico
    First off, I'm not flexible at all. I can't even touch my toes standing up/bending over. These may sound like dumb questions, but I need to know:

Does stretching help increase flexibility (i hardly ever stretch)?
    Does the fact that I am not flexible and dont stretch hinder any muscle gain, while lifting? if so, how can I remedy this?

thanks!
    I'll assume your are speaking about static or PNF stretching. Dynamic flexibility is the most functional form of flexibility training.
    PNF stretching is superior to static for flexibility increases. Dynamic stretching is superior to PNF stretching because it is much more specific to the task at hand.
    People will have varying opinions on whether flexibility limits muscle gains. Static contraction advocates (Little) would probably disagree. They use hold the weight in peak contraction for a timed set. This requires little flexibility for muscle gains. Full ROM advocates would believe flexibility is very important. For example, the stiff-legged deadlift requires flexibility in the lower back and hamstrings. If you are very inflexible, your ROM will suffer. Their theory is, the reduced ROM will equal reduced muscle gains.

Quote Originally Posted by Papi93
    I'll assume your are speaking about static or PNF stretching. Dynamic flexibility is the most functional form of flexibility training.
    PNF stretching is superior to static for flexibility increases. Dynamic stretching is superior to PNF stretching because it is much more specific to the task at hand.
    People will have varying opinions on whether flexibility limits muscle gains. Static contraction advocates (Little) would probably disagree. They use hold the weight in peak contraction for a timed set. This requires little flexibility for muscle gains. Full ROM advocates would believe flexibility is very important. For example, the stiff-legged deadlift requires flexibility in the lower back and hamstrings. If you are very inflexible, your ROM will suffer. Their theory is, the reduced ROM will equal reduced muscle gains.
    Honestly, I have never heard of either. Didn't know that.

And I don't do deadlifts for the reason I cant touch my toes, but more importantly because I already have a bad lower back and I am afraid that I dont have the right form I can really mess it up badly. I want to do dead lifts because it is essential in muscle building, but I guess with the fact I am not flexible and fear of injuring my back, I've held off

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by Papi93
    good post^^^

bombastico you need to start to incorporate developmental stretching in to your routine.

After your workout hold your stretches for the B/P worked, for around 25-30 seconds.

A developmental stretch is performed by increasing the stretch by a fraction until you feel the mild tension in the muscle again, hold this position and when the tension eases repeat again. If the stretch becomes painful, you have gone too far.this should be done with control and without bouncing. Bare in mind that a developmenal stretch should be held for 30 seconds, to the point of tension, not pain, then you should relax into the stretch and aim to hold it for another 20 seconds. Remember to always breathe during your stretches. I myself, always aim to hold my stetches for at least 30 seconds as opposed to 10-20 seconds.
    To see any noticeable gains in flexibility, you must stretch three to four times a week. Flexibility gains can be seen in as little as two to three weeks.
    Here are some
    Last edited by S.P.G; 01-02-2006 at 04:28 AM.

Flexor is offline Banned
    First of all flexiblity can come from either the joints and/or muscles.

In the case of the hamstring inflexiblity, it is muscular. Your hamstrings are not long enough to complete hip flexion and knee extension, this is what occurs in a deadlift and a stiff legged deadlift when you reach fully down.

Going on from what Papi said, there is also ballistic stretching (using momentum to fling a limb member beyond its range of motion - NOT ADVISED, I don't like dynamic either, its a bit risky.) and there is also isometric stretching (a type of static where you or a partner hold a part of your body in a stretched position).

Static training can also be active or passive, ie you play a part in it or you don't.

Isometric stretches allow you to increase the length of your muscle fibres. It works by holding a static stretch until the stretch reflex is overcome (the nerves in the tendon telling the muscles to contract to prevent injury). Then the lengthening reaction takes over and the muscle fibres stretch further because they are not being told to contract. PNF is simply an isometric stretch followed by a passive stretch (someone else moving your limb for you). This causes your muscles to become more used to greater muscle lengths so the reflex is not to immediately contract when you stretch a muscle. Doing isometric and PNF stretches would help you to perform deadlifts directly, as they are directly related.

Thanks guys for the wealth of info. I will incorporate stretching during my lifting routines (3x a week). I might begin doing deadlifts (if i can feel comfy enough in my form that wont screw up my lower back anymore) to lengthen the hamstrings and for the other great benefits that come with it.

Thread Information