Thread: Dips

giangrosso is offline Banned

Dips

i need a little help with this exercise as im adding this to my routine!! i have tried it but this reason i havent been doing it regular is i think im doing the technique wrong for it to hit my chest as my triceps get worked more. i know it does tris but i want to get that blasting feeling on my chest.

any good pictures or help would be great.
    cheers

Flexor is offline Banned
    Notice in the first one his elbows are flared out from his body, his hands are spaced wider and he is leaning forward slightly more at the top of the dip.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...tChestDip.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here his hands are closer together and arms tucked in by his sides and he ends up vertical after the dip.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/.../WtTriDip.html

giangrosso is offline Banned
    so really its more pushing the elbows outwards. cheers for the pics by the way

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by giangrosso
    so really its more pushing the elbows outwards. cheers for the pics by the way
    yes, but also slightly wider hand spacing if the bars allow it. Also a slight forward lean with target the chest more.

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    The dip bars I use are adjustable. You need a wider grip to hit the chest and a narrow grip to hit the tri's, if you get it right you will definitly feel it in the right place.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    yes, but also slightly wider hand spacing if the bars allow it. Also a slight forward lean with target the chest more.
    I agree with Flexor on this one.

Flexor is offline Banned
    You will also hit the chest by leaning forward with your elbows backwards and tucked in, because of an extreme stretch. Chest dips will target the chest well and hit the triceps in a basic sort of way, but tricep dips will hit the triceps well and hit the chest well too.

Also don't forget the lats and traps are involved, the lower trap fibres are performing downward rotation and depression of the shoulder blades. The lats are adducting the arms downwards, and although they are in a mechanical disadvantage they are active. Just in the same way, the chest is quite active during pullups although it is at a disadvantage due to external shoulder rotation.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    In which exercise could you guys use more external resistance in: triceps dips or chest dips? I go use more in the triceps dips.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Papi93
    In which exercise could you guys use more external resistance in: triceps dips or chest dips? I go use more in the triceps dips.
    I think I use the same weight. Sometimes I do chest dips with a narrower hand spacing, instead of 2 sets of each type. It is in that exercise I can use the most resistance, and I am working both tris and chest equally hard.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I think I use the same weight. Sometimes I do chest dips with a narrower hand spacing, instead of 2 sets of each type. It is in that exercise I can use the most resistance, and I am working both tris and chest equally hard.
    Same here. Flipping the handles out, always reduced the amount of resistance that I could use. With some of them that really wide, it feels like your doing the iron cross, at the top of the range.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Same here. Flipping the handles out, always reduced the amount of resistance that I could use. With some of them that really wide, it feels like your doing the iron cross, at the top of the range.
    I would love to be able to do an Iron Cross, my dad has done that. Not sure how my shoulders would like it, but I know what you mean about the very wide dips. It feels like an Iron Cross.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I would love to be able to do an Iron Cross, my dad has done that. Not sure how my shoulders would like it, but I know what you mean about the very wide dips. It feels like an Iron Cross.
    I would think it would take tremendous lat, bicep, flexor flexor, and core strength to perform. The dudes that are good at the rings, usually, have tremendous degrees of hypertrophy in these areas.

Flexor is offline Banned
    I would think it would take tremendous lat, bicep, flexor flexor, and core strength to perform. The dudes that are good at the rings, usually, have tremendous degrees of hypertrophy in these areas.
    Yeah they do, takes chest strength as well. That is the look I want.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Yeah they do, takes chest strength as well. That is the look I want.
    We were talking about torn biceps on another thread. I believe gymnasts have torn their biceps while performing the iron cross. Are their palms facing down at the bottom of the exercise?

Flexor is offline Banned
    We were talking about torn biceps on another thread. I believe gymnasts have torn their biceps while performing the iron cross. Are their palms facing down at the bottom of the exercise?
    Palms down yes, and I agree about the stress on the bicep tendons with the iron cross. There is no other way to grip the rings during the iron cross, the joints don't allow it.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Speaking of dips, gymnasts do a hell of a lot of those (with the parallel bars that is).

Flexor is offline Banned
    Speaking of dips, gymnasts do a hell of a lot of those (with the parallel bars that is).
    Gymnasts are well developed because dips and pullups are very important in their routines. It shows that those two exercises are amazing at building size and strength.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Gymnasts are well developed because dips and pullups are very important in their routines. It shows that those two exercises are amazing at building size and strength.
    Pullups from all the uneven-bar training. They train with their bodyweight almost everyday don't touch weights. Some of them have builds bodybuilders would love to have.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Pullups from all the uneven-bar training. They train with their bodyweight almost everyday don't touch weights. Some of them have builds bodybuilders would love to have.
    I like bodyweight exercises a lot. You can develop tremendous endurance and strength at the same time. Sometimes I just whack out unweighted pullups and dips for fun with little break in between.

Anabolic CEO is offline Senior Member
    I done dips last night. God i love dips. Do you guys use weights with your dips?

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Anabolic CEO
    I done dips last night. God i love dips. Do you guys use weights with your dips?
    I use two 20s in a backpack.

Thread Information