lzicc is offline Senior Member

Hyperextension to strengthen core

I am trying to put together a routine for my off days that I can do that will strengthen my core. Like my abs and back. I have some fat on my stomach, but alot of my problem is that my gut sags. Are hyperextension pretty good for strenghtening your core? Any other exercises I can do besides the obvious, like crunches/situps? THX!

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Lower Back - Back extensions and reverse extensions (legs move instead of the trunk).
    Hip Flexors/Transverse Abdominus - Ab Strap Leg Lifts and Ab Wheel Rollouts.
    Obliques - Lateral Flexion - DB Side Bends
    Obliques - Transverse Plane - Rotary Torso Machine and Upper/Lower Body Russian Twists
    Abdominals - Heavy DB Crunch on Swiss Ball

Not all of these exercises have to be done in a workout. These are just some of my favorites. I have many more to chose from though.

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by Papi93
    Lower Back - Back extensions and reverse extensions (legs move instead of the trunk).
    Hip Flexors/Transverse Abdominus - Ab Strap Leg Lifts and Ab Wheel Rollouts.
    Obliques - Lateral Flexion - DB Side Bends
    Obliques - Transverse Plane - Rotary Torso Machine and Upper/Lower Body Russian Twists
    Abdominals - Heavy DB Crunch on Swiss Ball

Not all of these exercises have to be done in a workout. These are just some of my favorites. I have many more to chose from though.
    good advo,, bro...

Flexor is offline Banned
    Papi is always right on with these kind of training specifics...

Also you could superset your ab/erector sets, that is what Warrior suggested in another thread. It would be just like supersetting bis with tris.
    Last edited by Flexor; 12-31-2005 at 05:34 PM.

Thanks Papi/guys for the input on this. This helps out.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    whenever I feel I need to strenghten lower back and abs for my deadlift I start doing very heavy db sidebends, as heavy as i can hyperexstensions(5-6 plates or so hold over my chest when I do em), hanging leg raises where I try to kick the roof and heavy incline situps.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    just curious what is a russian twist?

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    just curious what is a russian twist?
    There are a number of ways of doing it. The method I prefer since no apparatus is required, is simply sitting upright on the floor, knees bent, feet flat on the ground. You lean backwards from vertical so that your torso is at 45 degrees to the foor, and you stay there and twist as far as you can to one side then the other side. It is best to anchor your feet underneath something.

Here is an excellent video clip of his ---> http://www.webs.uidaho.edu/strength/russian_twist.htm

The other way is by sitting face up on the glute/ham equipment with your legs underneath the support bar. Sit up to 45 degrees from laying down and twist. Resistance can be varied based on hand position or by adding plates.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    There are a number of ways of doing it. The method I prefer since no apparatus is required, is simply sitting upright on the floor, knees bent, feet flat on the ground. You lean backwards from vertical so that your torso is at 45 degrees to the foor, and you stay there and twist as far as you can to one side then the other side. It is best to anchor your feet underneath something.

Here is an excellent video clip of his ---> http://www.webs.uidaho.edu/strength/russian_twist.htm

The other way is by sitting face up on the glute/ham equipment with your legs underneath the support bar. Sit up to 45 degrees from laying down and twist. Resistance can be varied based on hand position or by adding plates.
    Flexor covered the upper body russian twist for me. Thanks, man.

The lower body russian twist involves lying supine with your upper arms, out, perpendicular to your torso. This will prevent you from tipping over. They can be done with knees bent to 90 degrees (easier version) or with your legs directly above your hips. Rotate your legs side to side, keeping your shoulders down. This exercise is also great for increasing rotational ROM in your trunk. As you get stronger and more flexible, you will be able to touch your knee or foot to the ground. As you get stronger, you can incorporate ankle weights.

Anyone ever hear of Callanetics? It is not aerobics or anything, it is used to firm up your body. I never heard of this before yesterday but got the suggestion from a professional source about how good it works for toning up. If you don't know what it is, do a google search or better yet, go to Amazon or Epinions and read the reviews on the dvd's. It sounds very interesting and seems to work well of what I heard. It has been around for quite a while.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lzicc
    Anyone ever hear of Callanetics? It is not aerobics or anything, it is used to firm up your body. I never heard of this before yesterday but got the suggestion from a professional source about how good it works for toning up. If you don't know what it is, do a google search or better yet, go to Amazon or Epinions and read the reviews on the dvd's. It sounds very interesting and seems to work well of what I heard. It has been around for quite a while.
    I seem to remember my mum doing some of that, all I can say is it didn't work

However, a proper regime may yield results. I don't know enough about it to comment, but I'll look into it and make up my mind.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I haven't heard of Callenetics. Is that like Pilates or something similar?

Flexor is offline Banned
    Could be similar.

Oh look at this, 1000 posts for myself

I've made it

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    Could be similar.

Oh look at this, 1000 posts for myself

I've made it
    Congrats!

I still need 67 or so more .

Flexor is offline Banned
    Congrats!

I still need 67 or so more .
    Get it done today! haha. You will feel a whole lot better

I think that it is similar to Pilates. You don't get a cardio workout from it, it more or less strengthens your muscles. Tightens them up. This is new to me also, so I am trying to find more info on it.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I think that it is similar to Pilates. You don't get a cardio workout from it, it more or less strengthens your muscles. Tightens them up. This is new to me also, so I am trying to find more info on it.
    Have you looked into swiss ball work? Juan Carlos Santana has some excellent exercises for working the core. I have studied him and Paul Chek.

I do like the swiss ball. I had to go to PT for awhile do to a herniated disk and the girl had me do some different exercises on a swiss. I admit, I laughed at first, but I gotta tell you, my whole torso was sore for days from the swiss ball exercises. That thing is incredible. I still do the exercises with it, just want to target my core more.

I will lookup some info Juan Carlos Santana. I guess he has certain routines that can target different areas?

Have you looked into swiss ball work? Juan Carlos Santana has some excellent exercises for working the core. I have studied him and Paul Chek.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I do like the swiss ball. I had to go to PT for awhile do to a herniated disk and the girl had me do some different exercises on a swiss. I admit, I laughed at first, but I gotta tell you, my whole torso was sore for days from the swiss ball exercises. That thing is incredible. I still do the exercises with it, just want to target my core more.

I will lookup some info Juan Carlos Santana. I guess he has certain routines that can target different areas?
    I have two of his videos. He gives you a sheet with all of the exercises separated into categories. On the video he gives you excellent demostrations for his exercises. He is also very well-educated.

That is good information to know Papi. I like utlizing resources that other people had good experiences with. Takes the guess work out of it.

Thread Information