Thread: BB rows

pilipo is offline Junior Member

BB rows

ive heard contradicting advice on how to properly do a bb row and i just want to clear up my confusion ive been told and seen people pull the bar to their stomach kepping elbows in tighter and ive seen people keep their elbows wide and pull to their chest ive also heard using an underhand grip vs overhand grip changes the muscles used can someone tell me the proper way to do this exercise

Flexor is offline Banned
    If you want to use bb rows as a back exercise, you pull to the lower chest or even upper abs. This recruits all the muscles of the back. Ideally you want your elbows 45 degrees away from your body to involve the posterior delts more and the lats slightly less. Elbows out will also help target the middle trap fibres as it makes it harder to retract the shoulder blades. Squeezing your blades together is pivotal in this exercise, to work your back fully.

Use an overhand and wide grip to reduce involvement of the biceps. This will help concentrate the load on your back. This is a great back exercise.

pilipo is offline Junior Member
    same question for close grip bench palms toward you or away elbows wide or narrow and where to bring weight down to?

Pinnacle is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~ Cocky motherF*cker!
    Quote Originally Posted by pilipo
    same question for close grip bench palms toward you or away elbows wide or narrow and where to bring weight down to?
    Palms away from you.As for your elbows,try to keep them close to your body as possible,bringing the bar down to just under your pecs and sort of push away on the positive movement.

~Pinnacle~

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    ive heard contradicting advice on how to properly do a bb row and i just want to clear up my confusion ive been told and seen people pull the bar to their stomach kepping elbows in tighter and ive seen people keep their elbows wide and pull to their chest ive also heard using an underhand grip vs overhand grip changes the muscles used can someone tell me the proper way to do this exercise
    Use a pronated, wider-grip on your bent-over rows when you are trying to place more of the emphasis in the upper back. The bar, usually, hits the lower pecs or upper abdominal area.
    For a supinated, closer-grip bent-over row, the emphasis will be placed farther down the upper back. The bar hits the lower part of the abdominals.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    With either grip, try to bring the weight down to the lower pecs and press up. Try to keep the elbows from drifting too far away from the torso. This will be more challenging with the pronated-grip.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    There is an old-school version of bent-over rows that I forgot to mention. Widen up your stance and try to get your torso parallel to the ground. Only if you can maintain neutral spinal alignment. The other two versions are usually done with torso at a 45 degree angle. With this bent-over row, take a wide, pronated-grip (wider than the other pronated-grip row). You will have tremendous stabilizing requirements from the lower back. This could be a limiting factor of the exercise. When you pull, your elbows should be closer to perpendicular to the torso than the other version. You will more ROM on this exercise, as well.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Papi93
    There is an old-school version of bent-over rows that I forgot to mention. Widen up your stance and try to get your torso parallel to the ground. Only if you can maintain neutral spinal alignment. The other two versions are usually done with torso at a 45 degree angle. With this bent-over row, take a wide, pronated-grip (wider than the other pronated-grip row). You will have tremendous stabilizing requirements from the lower back. This could be a limiting factor of the exercise. When you pull, your elbows should be closer to perpendicular to the torso than the other version. You will more ROM on this exercise, as well.
    Sounds like a rear delt row to me. From what you describe, it would work the posterior delts in a big way with arms parallel to the torso as well as the middle trap fibres for scapulae retraction. The lower back would take more stress too because the weight is further from the body.

Thread Information