Thread: Ab Workout

Poison Ivy is offline Banned

Ab Workout

According to one of the fitness expert In order to chisel some hard looking abs, you have to incorporate ab training that works every inch of your ab muscles. The following ab workout target the obliques, plus the transverse, upper, and lower rectus abdominus. If you're a beginner try two sets of each exercise then rest for a few seconds and move on to the next set until you've completed all five exercises. If you're intermediate to advanced do one set of each exercise go directly to the next until you do all five then start over without taking a break. If you want an extra burn try the circuit three times. Want the best results possible? Burn more calories and fat by adding 3 days of full body strength training , 3-4 days of interval cardio and a good diet.

Scissor Kicks( Do 20 Reps )
    1. Lie back onto floor or bench with both knees bent and feet flat. Place hands at sides.
    2. Contract abdominal muscles continuously to stabilize trunk (or tuck stomach in by drawing naval in towards spine). Lower back should be in a neutral position.
    3. Start position: Straighten both legs so that they are perpendicular to floor.
    4. Slowly bring legs out away from each other and then return to side by side.
    5. Return to start position and repeat.

Flutter Kicks( Do 20 Reps )
    1) Lie back onto floor or bench with both knees bent and feet flat. Place hands at sides.
    2) Contract abdominal muscles continuously to stabilize trunk (or tuck stomach in by drawing naval in towards spine). Lower back should be in a neutral position.
    3) Start position: Straighten both legs so that they are perpendicular to floor.
    4) Slowly lower one leg to approximately 45-90°.
    5) Return to start position and repeat with other leg.

Air Bike Crunches
    (20 Reps)
    1. Start by lying on your back with your hands behind your back and thighs bent 90 degrees at your hip.
    2. Simultaneously curl your right shoulder and left knee up towards the center of your body until your elbow and knee touch. Return to the starting position and repeat with the other side.
    3. Continuously repeat this pattern for the prescribed repetitions.

Squeeze, Twist and Crunch (Do 20 Reps)
    1. Start position: Lie back onto floor or bench with legs extended and straight up squeezing a stability ball and hands behind head. Keep elbows back and out of sight. Head should be in a neutral position with a space between chin and chest.
    2. Leading with the chin and chest towards the ceiling, contract the abdominal and raise shoulders off floor and twist your shoulders leading with the right shoulder.

Weighted Crunch ( Do 20 Reps)
    1) Start position: Lie back onto floor or bench with knees bent and hands on your chest. Hold a weight plate on your chest. Head should be in a neutral position with a space between chin and chest.
    2) Leading with the chin and chest towards the ceiling, contract the abdominal and raise shoulders off floor or bench.
    3) Return to start position.
    4) Remember to keep head and back in a neutral position. Hyperextension or flexion of either may cause injury.
    Return to start position and repeat with the other shoulder.

Good Luck!

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    In order to chisel your abs you need low BF%. Lets not forget that, you can do sit ups all day long if you wish.

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    In order to chisel your abs you need low BF%. Lets not forget that, you can do sit ups all day long if you wish.
    100% agree we had a good ab thread no so long ago....working upper abs?

Poison Ivy is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11

Flexor is offline Banned
    IMO there is too much variety there. A lot of sissy exercises that people think will tone when they will not. Some rotation exercises are good, but you don't need to go overboard and pretend to be some ballet dancer. Then of course, there is the bodyfat. Hit the abs hard from a few directions, that is all that is needed along with diet and lifting heavy in general.

Zapp is offline Banned
    Just regular crunches have always worked for me.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp
    Agreed, at the end of the day all it takes is one or two exercises.

doby48 is offline Female Member
    Agreed, diet is key. I normally will only do 2 ab exercises at a time. 5 as listed above is overkill IMHO. My favorite 4 ab excercises are:

Hanging Bent Knee Leg Lifts
    Incline Reverse Crunch
    Decline Weighted Sit Ups
    Cable Crunches
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

TMS
    TMS is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by doby48
    Agreed, diet is key. I normally will only do 2 ab exercises at a time. 5 as listed above is overkill IMHO. My favorite 4 ab excercises are:

Incline Reverse Crunch
    Decline Weighted Sit Ups
    Cable Crunches

Some of my favorites as well. I could actually not do abs for months and as long as I keep my bf% low I'll have abs.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by doby48

Incline Reverse Crunch
    Decline Weighted Sit Ups
    Cable Crunches
    Mine are

decline crunches
    decline side crunches
    incline leg raises (pelvic tilts)
    stability ball crunches

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS
    I could actually not do abs for months and as long as I keep my bf% low I'll have abs.
    Same. Once you have abs, they will never dissapear. They can only grow, or be covered by fat.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp
    Ditto.....either that or weighted cable crunches which are basically the same thing.

Those who do all kinds of crazy ass ab work should really be on the cardio equipment and watching their dietary habits.

I don't even work abs anymore, they get worked from squats/core work/etc.

~SC~

Flexor is offline Banned
    Yeah, the bottom line is major attention to diet, a few specific ab workouts, and lifting heavy in general. Pullups, deadlifts, squats, lunges, rows, these type of things help a lot.

MASTER is offline "I Own You"
    i just do crunches and leg raises, dont see the need for any of that fancy crap!

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Ditto to all new posts.....

Thread Information