MoneyAddyct is offline Member

What do you think of my routine?

Hey bros. Just wondering what you guys thought of my routine. I'd appreciate any feedback that I can incorporate to make it more solid.

BACK (Mon.)
    Shrugs (x3)
    Chin-Ups (x2)
    Wide-Grip Pull-Downs (x3)
    Deadlifts (x2)
    Seated Rows (x2-3)
    Bent-Over Dumbell Rows (x2-3) My lats are lagging so if anyone has a better exercise, I'm all ears. For that reason, I do this on shoulder day since it works the posterior delt, too.

TRICEPS (Tues.)
    Skullcrushers (x3)
    Tricep Extension (x3)
    Push-Downs (x2-3)
    Tricep Dips (x2-3)

LEGS (Wed.)
    Squats (x3)
    Leg Press (x3)
    Seated Extension (x3)
    Leg Curl (x3)
    Calf-Raise (x3)

BICEPS (Thurs.)
    Barbell Curls (x3)
    Preacher Curls (x2-3) I was told this was over-kill so starting next week, it'll be gone.
    Incline Dumbbell Curls (x2)
    Hammer Curls (x2)

CHEST/SHOULDERS (Fri.)
    Flat Bench (x3)
    Incline Bench (x3)
    Pull-Overs (x3) Do I need these?
    Side Laterals (x3)
    Shoulder Press (x2)
    Bent-Over Dumbell Rows (x2-3)

Thanks bros.

diamonds is offline Banned
    Honestly, I think it needs some tweaking. Why don't you cut down on the exercises and increase some of the sets. Only 2 sets for a lot a major compound movements? You have way too many sets on your tricep routine as well.......and your bicep routine! 12 sets?

diamonds is offline Banned
    Honestly, I think it needs some tweaking. Why don't you cut down on the exercises and increase some of the sets. Only 2 sets for a lot a major compound movements? You have way too many sets on your tricep routine as well.......and your bicep routine! 12 sets?

Quote Originally Posted by diamonds

I agree with a lot of this...

dubvee is offline New Member
    I think you should include some sort of fly motion for on your chest day.

I'll increase the amount of sets on squats and deads and add dumbell flies on chest day (and remove pull-overs)...I removed preacher curls, so that makes only 7 sets of biceps...How many sets are ideal for triceps?..Also, when I do deads I usually perform one "rep", set the barbell down and start over and I do about 15-20 of those "reps" but I see some people do actual sets of deads by doing 6-8 reps without putting the barbell down. Is one better than the other?
    Last edited by MoneyAddyct; 01-05-2006 at 01:13 AM.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyAddyct
    I'll increase the amount of sets on squats and deads and add dumbell flies on chest day (and remove pull-overs)...I removed preacher curls, so that makes only 7 sets of biceps...How many sets are ideal for triceps?..Also, when I do deads I usually perform one "rep", set the barbell down and start over and I do about 15-20 of those "reps" but I see some people do actual sets of deads by doing 6-8 reps without putting the barbell down. Is one better than the other?
    You need to put the barbell down after a deadlift, otherwise the musculature, tendons and ligaments of the back have no chance to release tension. You may cause back injury if you do not put the bar down and start over.

Try heavier deadlifts, say 10 reps if you are doing 15-20. You have the biceps sorted it seems, for triceps you want about 6-9 sets IMO. Two compound exercises, one isolation.

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by dubvee
    I think you should include some sort of fly motion for on your chest day.
    Flys are not needed at this point.

When he has built his body to the level of mass he requires then, if he wishes he could do some flys.

But first he must build his chest, this is best done with compound movements.

BullDogg20 is offline Member
    Personally i dont like chest and shoulders on the same day, i feel like i am taking away from one of the other, IMO I would train Biceps and triceps on the same day, and separate chest and shoulders into different days. Or Train triceps with shoulders and Biceps with Back or vice versa, however you like it.

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by BullDogg20
    Personally i dont like chest and shoulders on the same day, i feel like i am taking away from one of the other,
    good luck
    Yes your right! some people may suffer on weight when its time for shoulders.

I just make sure the weight I do is more than I previously did the week before as long as you progress you will make improvements even if its small amounts each week.

I think doing laterals first is a good idea to as this is the movement that will give you roundness to the medial head improving width I feel press just hit’s the anterior head more...

Also I think I would rather suffer a little on weight than train shoulders twice a week, although I have never found this a problem.

........................ edit and delete
    Last edited by S.P.G; 01-05-2006 at 02:00 PM.

hey bro, as you no iv been over this workout with you some time ago.

It look ok, just need some tweaking here and there like the others said.

Drop some sets here and there ect, over all exercises look good with good separation of BPs.

And the gains have made so far speak for its self.

Hey bros. Just wondering what you guys thought of my routine. I'd appreciate any feedback that I can incorporate to make it more solid.

BACK (Mon.)
    Shrugs (x3)
    Chin-Ups (x2)
    Wide-Grip Pull-Downs (x3)
    Deadlifts (x2)
    Seated Rows (x2-3)
    Bent-Over Dumbell Rows (x2-3) My lats are lagging so if anyone has a better exercise, I'm all ears. For that reason, I do this on shoulder day since it works the posterior delt, too.

TRICEPS (Tues.)
    Skullcrushers (x3)
    Tricep Extension (x3)
    Push-Downs (x2-3)
    Tricep Dips (x2-3)

LEGS (Wed.)
    Squats (x3)
    Leg Press (x3)
    Seated Extension (x3)
    Leg Curl (x3)
    Calf-Raise (x3)

BICEPS (Thurs.)
    Barbell Curls (x3)
    Preacher Curls (x2-3) I was told this was over-kill so starting next week, it'll be gone.
    Incline Dumbbell Curls (x2)
    Hammer Curls (x2)

CHEST/SHOULDERS (Fri.)
    Flat Bench (x3)
    Incline Bench (x3)
    Pull-Overs (x3) Do I need these?
    Side Laterals (x3)
    Shoulder Press (x2)
    Bent-Over Dumbell Rows (x2-3)

Thanks bros.

What should I change for triceps? I like all those exercises and don't really want to drop one, but if most agree it's too many sets, I'll tweak it.

Flexor is offline Banned
    What did you mean by tricep extensions? If you mean overhead ones, drop these, as they are very similar to skullcrushers. Also tricep dips should be first as this is the compound exercise.

Ok. I'll put dips first and drop the seated dumbell overhead extensions. Thanks.

BullDogg20 is offline Member
    If your just getting into Lifting, I would drop the skull crusher since its to easy to cheat with it, and go with seated dumbell extension, IMO Skull Crusher is more of an Advanced tricep exercise and should only be used once you are comfortable lifting.. thats just my opinion, other may have dif view

MASTER is offline "I Own You"
    5 days in a row is far 2 much bro, imo it needs a lot of work, cut the days down, change the layout and decrease the volume!

My workouts range about 35-40 minutes and I feel like I'm getting enough rest. So far I've gained about 23lbs in the past 2-3 months with something similar. I've been training off and on for about 2 years but seriously for the past 6 months. As far as the skullcrushers go, I'm very comfortable with them--they're one of my favorite exercises.

Flexor is offline Banned
    As far as the skullcrushers go, I'm very comfortable with them--they're one of my favorite exercises.
    Then that is the last reason to drop them. They are an excellent single joint mass building exercise. You can't use as much weight in overhead extensions, stick to skulls.

As for 5 days in a row, that is too much for the CNS, and that could lead to slower growth gains. More than 2 days in a row is too much. You just need a rest day in the middle, on wednesday, so try shifting around your days with what you are comfortable with.
    Last edited by Flexor; 01-06-2006 at 04:02 AM.

Ok, I could re-arrange it to make Wed. a rest day. Everyone else pretty much agree?

Ok, I could re-arrange it to make Wed. a rest day. Everyone else pretty much agree?

My workouts range about 35-40 minutes and I feel like I'm getting enough rest. So far I've gained about 23lbs in the past 2-3 months with something similar. I've been training off and on for about 2 years but seriously for the past 6 months. As far as the skullcrushers go, I'm very comfortable with them--they're one of my favorite exercises.
    ditto...

Canadiantiger is offline Associate Member
    I like the info and direction S.P.G and Flexor have given the only thing I would change besides that is to deadlift first on backday. IMO If I were to do them later in the workout I would be drained and the possibility of my form being poor for the deadlift would increase maybe leading to injury.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadiantiger
    IMO If I were to do them later in the workout I would be drained and the possibility of my form being poor for the deadlift would increase maybe leading to injury.
    Same here, deadlifts first always. Otherwise the erector spinae are fatigued from other back exercises and I wouldn't be able to maintain a neutral spine alignment. Like you said, it would increase the chance of injury.

Thread Information