VitaminT2 is offline Associate Member

I hate my calves

i need a calve workout, my arms ar bigger than may calves and it is making me sick, it is my weakes part, i dont know if i should walk on my toes all day or what. nebody got a mass building calve workout they can recomend

Padawan is offline Associate Member
    My calves have always grown pretty easily, although I think genetics plays a HUGE roll more than anything. My arms are just a hair under 18", and my calves are a little over 18". Here's my calf routine:

Standing calf raises to failure, heaviest weight I can move through a full range of motion. I do about 8-10 reps, which is the total opposite of what a lot of guys do (high reps). Then, I superset with seated calf raises, lighter weight and higher reps (15-20). I repeat this 3 times, with varying foot positions on the machines.

I do calves 3 times a week, takes only a few minutes, and it seems to work for me.

see my arms are like 17.5 cold, and my claves are like 16.5, im 6'4 and 260 and it doesnt show in my calves, im gonna give your workout a shot and see if it works for me, thanx man

Sema is offline Associate Member
    bigt4432, i know where you're talking about, i got the same problem...

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Originally posted by Diesel
    Calves can be a bitch. Hit them hard and frequently. A lot of people make the mistake of only doing them once a week.
    You calves are abused daily due to the fact that they work constantly when you are walking, running, standing, etc...
    Therefore, IMO they need to be worked three times a week.
    I second this post of Diesel's. I never had any progress with my calves untill I started hitting them 2-3-4 times a week.

jeffylyte is offline Member
    Indiana. My phallus is bigger than Nathan's!
    calfs are a beotch my friend. genetics is the predominant factor there, but a few tidbits

calfs are two muscles the a) soleus and b) gastrocnemius. the Sol is almost all type I slow twitch muscle. It is built for walking, jogging, and the like. the gastroc has more type II muscle than the soleus (but to say it has a lot is stretching it. It is built for running and jumping. Look at a womans calfs. They have a much larger soleus in relation to the gastroc than males. This is cause they are genetically predisposed (through estrogen instead of testosterone ) to type I fiber, thus the large soleus. Most of the time small calfs mean small gastrocs. to work them the best use straight leg raises (either standing or bent at the waist). to hit the soleus more, use a seated motion. You can absolutely pound on the calfs due to the higher type I amount. double the frequency of calf workouts compared to the rest and double the volume per workout. In general use the higher end of your rep range( if you go 8-12 then use 12), as the type I responds to this better. Also things such as sprinting helps as well. Typically for a calf workout. I notice that i can do raises until I can barely walk, but 15 minutes later I dont even notice i did anything. then i get dore for a day only.

hope this info helps

soo jeffylyte what do u recomend that i do? 12 reps with lets say 100 pounds, then the next work out the same reps but with 200lbs? with alot of sets? i know exactly what u mean when u say u hit them hard and then 15minutes later u dont feel nething, that happens to me everytime

Thread Information