aspengc8 is offline Junior Member

SLDL + regular DL in same week = overtraining?

Im trying to stick to compound excersies for my new routine. Is it too much to deadlift on back day, then do SLDL on leg day? Here is what im currently doing...

Day 1:
    Squats, SLDL, legs extensions + leg curls (both higher rep)

Day 2: Chest/front delts/calves: Inclinde DB, Flat DB, Declind DB, Front delt raises/calf raises.

Day 3: rest + eat

Day 4: Back/Side delt/rear delt/trap:
    Deadlifts, Bent over rows (either hammerstrenth or dumbell on an incline bench), pulldowns, bent over rear delt, side raies, shrugs

Day 5: arms
    Some basic bi/tri supersets. BB curl w/skull crushers, a few other multijoint excersies

Day 6: rest
    Day7: repeat Day 1
    Last edited by aspengc8; 01-05-2006 at 01:07 PM.

Flexor is offline Banned
    There is no other choice, you have to do SLDL as well as normal deadlifts in the same week. I think the only alternative is to do SLDL after normal deadlifts on the same day, but obviously that will be difficult due to fatigue. Remember squats are also similar...

bazerk is offline Associate Member
    What is SLDL?

Stiff Leg Dead lift. Also, any opinions on the routine in general? I dont too heavy, maybe 70-80% of 1RM. Im aiming mainly for hypertrophy.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aspengc8
    Im trying to stick to compound excersies for my new routine. Is it too much to deadlift on back day, then do SLDL on leg day? Here is what im currently doing...

Day 1:
    Squats, SLDL, legs extensions + leg curls (both higher rep)

Day 2: Chest/front delts/calves: Inclinde DB, Flat DB, Declind DB, Front delt raises/calf raises.

Day 3: rest + eat

Day 4: Back/Side delt/rear delt/trap:
    Deadlifts, Bent over rows (either hammerstrenth or dumbell on an incline bench), pulldowns, bent over rear delt, side raies, shrugs

Day 5: arms
    Some basic bi/tri supersets. BB curl w/skull crushers, a few other multijoint excersies

Day 6: rest
    Day7: repeat Day 1
    A pretty solid routine. I can only suggest that maybe your bis may be worked hard by doing back and arms on consecutive days, especially with a few other multi-joint exercises. Maybe you could add dips on chest day, they are a great mass builder. If you included them, you would either drop decline or limit the sets. I would personally drop decline in favour of dips for a switchup, but if you don't do dips then decline db is great. Also if possible drop the front raises and add military presses on your chest and front delt day. This shouldn't interfer much with your back/medial and posterior delt day. As I said, your routine is not bad at all.

Good suggestions Flexor, I appreciate them. I don't go crazy on arm day, maybe 2 excercises each, couple sets, maybe a rest pause to finish them off. Problem is, I just came off a nasty case of shoulder bursitis. Overhead presses and dips seem to aggrevate it, so I just threw the front delts in after chest, and gave arms a lower volume day on their own. This program was compiled after reading tons of posts/suggestions from yourself along with numerous others on the board. I followed the 'swole leg' sticky/post. Even though im only using 135 for 20 reps, they are blowing up!
    Last edited by aspengc8; 01-05-2006 at 01:31 PM.

MASTER is offline "I Own You"
    I get around it by doing no direct lower back work on back day and then do sldls on leg day, which sort hams and lower back, without any overtraining problems!

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aspengc8
    Good suggestions Flexor, I appreciate them. I don't go crazy on arm day, maybe 2 excercises each, couple sets, maybe a rest pause to finish them off. Problem is, I just came off a nasty case of shoulder bursitis. Overhead presses and dips seem to aggrevate it, so I just threw the front delts in after chest, and gave arms a lower volume day on their own. This program was compiled after reading tons of posts/suggestions from yourself along with numerous others on the board. I followed the 'swole leg' sticky/post. Even though im only using 135 for 20 reps, they are blowing up!
    Ah the old bursitis, I have had a touch of it for the past few weeks. It seems it has gone slightly beyond normal impingment. I can understand why you left out those two exercises, they would aggravate it. It is always best to rest these things otherwise they don't get better, especially with the shoulder joint.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC
    I get around it by doing no direct lower back work on back day and then do sldls on leg day, which sort hams and lower back, without any overtraining problems!
    That sounds like a great idea to get around the overtraining problem J/C. I have done that a couple of times, but I've never fully taken advantage of it because I wanted to work my traps hard with heavy normal deadlifts. I'm glad you brought that up, I think I will make that change to my routine for a few weeks and see how it goes.

MASTER is offline "I Own You"
    That sounds like a great idea to get around the overtraining problem J/C. I have done that a couple of times, but I've never fully taken advantage of it because I wanted to work my traps hard with heavy normal deadlifts. I'm glad you brought that up, I think I will make that change to my routine for a few weeks and see how it goes.
    Yeh bro i was worried about the same, but doing heavy bent over rows, followed by heavy ass shrugs and finishing with reverse flyes, really hits the traps hards, and I no longer feel the deadlifts are needed on the same day as shrugs for my traps to respond!

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesC
    Yeh bro i was worried about the same, but doing heavy bent over rows, followed by heavy ass shrugs and finishing with reverse flyes, really hits the traps hards, and I no longer feel the deadlifts are needed on the same day as shrugs for my traps to respond!
    Yeah I agree, there is probably enough other heavy exercises that will hit the traps hard enough that deadlifts aren't necessary for stimuation. I find that any type of medial delt work such as laterals or ESPECIALLY upright rowing hits the upper trap fibres pretty well. Military presses or any type of overhead extension would also hit the upper trap fibres but to a lesser extent. Then there is the heavy back exercises like you said that are probably the best of all.

Thread Information