blockhead is offline New Member

buddies bad back

i have finally found a reliable workout partner. he lifted alot in the past but quit due to lower back probs. he has been very careful since he started with me, doing very few exercises. mainly bench press, lat pulls, curling on the preacher pad and a few others.but, after only 2 wks, his back has started bothering him and he is leery of continuing. his back problems are bulging discs in L-5 and S-1. does anyone have any good tips in general and certain exercises that would minimize his discomfort while still allowing him to participate? thanks.

doby48 is offline Female Member
    My boyfriend and brother in law both have had back problems similiar, I think your buddy should go to a physical therapist to get some ideas on what is going to work. They have some knowledge that will get him started and will work with him so that he is not over doing himself. Back injuries suck but they shouldn't prevent him from doing exercise, he just needs to learn the right ones, intensitiy and reps that he can handle. A PT can get him started and then he can work from there to refine better what is the best for him.
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

blockhead is offline New Member
    probably the best route, thanks, doby.

Thread Information