golclub is offline New Member

Deadlift vs Squats

Hi, all

I am a bit confused with deadlifts and squats. I am keeping squats for my Legs day and then I thought that I should include classic deadlift for my Back Day as it was recommended on several websites. Then I found other articles where they say that classic deadlifts and squats affect the same muscle groups. Does it mean I should not include deadlifts on my back day because the next day I won't be able to squat properly as the muscles will be "killed" by deadlifts. Please advise.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Separate your back and leg days, this will solve some of the problem.

Another member, JamesC, also suggested doing stiff-leg deadlifts on leg day as well as squats, and not doing deadlifts on back day. I agree with him, because the lower back will be worked hard enough on back day by rows, and then the stiff-leg deadlifts will work it hard enough on leg day. This routine will avoid any overlap on the glutes, hams and lower back.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    Separate your back and leg days, this will solve some of the problem......

Cheers, buddy

You resolved my problem and headache!

Can I also ask about reps for squats. I read on many websites that we need to do 20 reps per set. But I think it contradicts to what other BBs say that in order to gain mass you need to do 6-8 reps. What do you reckon?

Thanks

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by golclub
    Cheers, buddy

You resolved my problem and headache!

Can I also ask about reps for squats. I read on many websites that we need to do 20 reps per set. But I think it contradicts to what other BBs say that in order to gain mass you need to do 6-8 reps. What do you reckon?

Thanks
    Powerlifters will always say 6-8 reps or lower, and look how well they have grown!! However, research suggests that 15-20 reps is so intense for the body that natural test and GH levels are increased, and this helps with overall growth. There is also the argument that the legs respond better to around 20 reps. It is also possible that 15-20 reps causes the most growth because it increases the total workload, despite the fact you are lifting lighter it is still damn heavy!

You need to experiment bro. I am currently doing 12 rep squats as I like to lift a little heavier whilst still doing relatively high reps compared to powerlifting. Try either 12, around 20, or heavy like 6-8. All will have benefits, I cannot say one is better than the other.

I hope that helps.

Flex

Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    Powerlifters will always say 6-8 reps or lower, and look how well they have grown!!...
    Cheers, Flex! There is no a universal rule, so I will experiment

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by golclub
    Cheers, Flex! There is no a universal rule, so I will experiment
    Exactly right. Also every individual has a slightly different fast/slow twitch fibre ratio, and this will impact what rep range is favoured, although it will not vary too much.

Thread Information