Always Liftin' is offline Associate Member

My chest workout...

Monday- My Chest workout- please critique and give advice, all kinds of criticism is accepted

Bench-(all except first set until failure)
    Set 1- 115x 12 reps
    Set 2- 135x 12 reps
    Set 3- 150x 8-12 reps
    Set 4- 165x 6-8 reps
    Set 5- 135x As many as i can (usually 9-10)

Wide grip bench
    Usually 3 sets at 95 lbs, very wide grip, brining down basically on my neck and wow, feel the burn baby, usually only get 8-12 reps (until failure)

Incline Bench(dumbell)/Fly's (Rotate these workouts every week)
    4 sets until failure, no more than 12 reps or bump up weight(unless first set)

Flat Dumbell Bench/Fly's (I rotate this with the inclines, one week i will do incline dumbell bench with flat flys , the next is incline flys with flat dumbell benc)
    4 sets until failure, no more than 12 reps or bump up weight(unless first set)

Flex-
    Usually i do 3 sets of just pure flexing in the mirror, sometimes super-setting these with my flat dumbell bench/flys and i keep flexed the whole time and do basically a standing fly, has really seemed to help with definition in middle chest area, seems to make my cleavage more "ridgid"

Again , tell me what you think..im prety new to this website and decided maybe i should change my workout some or at least see what you think, the main things im lackin is biceps, triceps, back (big time, no v-shape at all) traps, well basically everything except my chest, it seesm to be doing fine but i thought id post this, i will post my other days workouts here shortly

Flexor is offline Banned
    16 sets is an awful lot of sets, you could achieve the same results with half the number. The aim is not to fatigue your chest and knacker it so bad that it doesn't grow. The problem is that you are doing so much you will think that doing less will not help you, but it will.

I think something like this is enough:

3 sets of flat bench
    3 sets of dips (you ideally need these)
    3 sets of incline bench (not flyes)
    3 sets of guillotine (your favourite chest pumper)

You don't need to worry much about flyes, they aren't a mass exercise. They might feel good but you don't need them especially since you've got the guillotine in there, which is almost the same exercise but with far more weight! Also you are lifting far too much to failure, on almost every set. This will overtax your CNS and possibly slow your muscle growth. Go 1 or 2 reps short of perceived failure to save your CNS. You can go to failure on the last set of each exercise, but even still that may be too much. Dispel the myth that the chest needs a lot of sets, it is only a small muscle and it doesn't need to be burnt to hell with pump sets.

wow thanks for the advice i will try this , anyway, is this the same for all muscles or jsut the chest...i ill post my back, biceps , and other days soon for being critiqued

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Always Liftin'
    wow thanks for the advice i will try this , anyway, is this the same for all muscles or jsut the chest...i ill post my back, biceps , and other days soon for being critiqued
    By the way, I also use guillotine from time to time. I totally agree with you on its use as a pumper, just as dips are great for that. Although less weight is used on the guillotine, its a great substitute for flyes and is better IMO.

As for the type of exercises and reps, it will vary from bodypart to bodypart. The training to failure ideal will always apply. Your chest routine is basically fine though, just a few minor changes. Post your other routines in your own time bro

THE_DOME is offline Anabolic Member
    always do your sets till failure have a buddie come in a spot you on ever set and get like 2 forced reps in every set. That way if your chest cant do it, but with the help of your spot it will make your chest recruit muscle fibers and stabliiler muscles, therefore making your chest swell up like a 15 year old girl.

"Tell me you love the pump"

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_DOME
    always do your sets till failure have a buddie come in a spot you on ever set and get like 2 forced reps in every set. That way if your chest cant do it, but with the help of your spot it will make your chest recruit muscle fibers and stabliiler muscles, therefore making your chest swell up like a 15 year old girl.

"Tell me you love the pump"
    If you do this long term it will lead to overtraining, not to mention you are frying the CNS when there is no need to. You can't employ HIT methods in a non-HIT routine. HIT methods such as rest-pause or forced reps are usually only used in HIT routines, because otherwise it leads to overtraining of the CNS.

what about breaks in between sets, how many seconds, and also...i have no clue what this gillotine thing is as i work at home....i guess im gonna have to find a dip bar also...lol

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Always Liftin'
    what about breaks in between sets, how many seconds, and also...i have no clue what this gillotine thing is as i work at home....i guess im gonna have to find a dip bar also...lol
    If I'm not employing any type of HIT then I would do a rest of about 60-80 seconds between sets.

This is the guillotine.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...enchPress.html

Use 60-70% your usual benching weight, don't necessarily go to the neck, you can go a couple of inches below your neck and you don't particularly need to lower all the way. I often don't lower fully and that will save your shoulders. If you feel uncomfortable in this exercise don't do it, stick to flyes.
    Last edited by Flexor; 01-09-2006 at 05:33 PM.

Thread Information