GoldzGymBoi is offline Junior Member

Lifting alone Question

Hey guys. I am starting a cycle monday. I just moved to a very small town with a small quiet gym (mostly senior citizens). I have worked out on my own since I was 18. I have a question. Do I need a spotter/workout partner to get the maximum results of my cycle? I mean to lift my max on the bench etc. Or gain I get the same results lifting heavy by myself? Also I mix free weights with machines. Is that ok on a cycle or should I do just free weights. Thanks -K

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    What i do when i dont have a spotter is use DB for bench. For squats just make sure you do them in a squat box just in case you do fall down. Most BB exersices can be done with DB's.

But what I am saying is I am pretty much figuring I will be working out alone the entire cycle. Is using DB's the whole cycle going to give me the same results verses a flat bench with a spotter?

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldzGymBoi
    Hey guys. I am starting a cycle monday. I just moved to a very small town with a small quiet gym (mostly senior citizens). I have worked out on my own since I was 18. I have a question. Do I need a spotter/workout partner to get the maximum results of my cycle?
    Honestly? No. If you've been training alone for a while you know your limits.. you should also know, providing that you've listened to your body, how to exert the most from each set. I train alone most of the time... i always train past failure. I use partials; rest-pause; dropsets... etc. to take me there

I mean to lift my max on the bench etc.
    I max alone.. but i wouldn't advise it.. especially with the bench. I would however advise you switch to dumbell work if a spotter is unavaiable. Maxing on Dumbells is safer... as is failing without a spotter .. trust me.. i been there on both counts.

Or gain I get the same results lifting heavy by myself?
    Not having a spotter should not be a limitation.

Also I mix free weights with machines. Is that ok on a cycle or should I do just free weights. Thanks -K
    Machines have their place.. thus if the mix is working for you now.. continue... just find ways to increase the intensity.

I have a love the basics.. so i'd advise they be the base of your training regime..

Personally, nothing brings tears to my eyes like a barbell squat.

Nothing makes me queasy like a hella heavy deadlift.

But what I am saying is I am pretty much figuring I will be working out alone the entire cycle. Is using DB's the whole cycle going to give me the same results verses a flat bench with a spotter?
    Yes and No.

Thanks a lot man!

Thanks a lot man!
    No prob man.

In review of my previous response.. i said "yes and no" because it's debetable.

Granted you'll get great development with either, some of the heavier benchers claim that the barbell bench beats the dumbell bench for overall growth..

Others claim the opposite to be true.

My advice?

Go with what's safest.

You can't grow if you're injured.. right?

Hit up the dumbells man.. or, stop one rep short of immediate failure.. and utilise dropsets to each set past total failure

~Nark

pilipo is offline Junior Member
    i usually work out alone just make good use of heavy db's and the smith machine is good if you want to throw some heavier bb exercises in just switch it up. but most of the time i just ask some random person to spot me on my last set.

Quote Originally Posted by pilipo
    but most of the time i just ask some random person to spot me on my last set.
    After some bad spills i wouldn't trust a random spotter again.

pilipo is offline Junior Member
    im not a big fan of most of the workout mags out there but sometimes they have good articles. anyway one of them has an article about working out solo this month dont remember wich one tho but any news stand should have it

Thread Information