AAS@HH is offline Junior Member

Probably the wrong forum, but please...

dgadfg
    Last edited by AAS@HH; 02-10-2006 at 05:25 AM.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I'll move this to the workout forum.

Please keep the subject matter in the appropriate forums.

~SC~

Alright. Sorry about that. Since it contained a question concerning aas also I got somewhat confused where to post it.

I don't believe your neck will get bigger from gear, no, but you could do specific neck exercises to build it up. I don't know what they are called, but there are movements where you wear some headgear and attach weights to it and work your neck up/down in that manner.

Try to get a pic so we can see just how out of proportion it is. I bet it's not that bad.

Thanks,
    S
    C

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AAS@HH
    Hey guys!
    I have a problem. I feel my neck I too thin, in proportion to my body that is.
    Do you have any suggestions for good ways to work out your neck?
    How would juice effect my neck? Would it grow in the same rate as the rest of the body?

It would really be nice with som help on the neck issue.

Here is a pic of me. I know it DOESN'T show my neck, but I though't I'll post it anyway. I'm kind of a skinny guy. I'm 6.0" and 179 lbs.
    Your neck thickness is partly dependent on genetics, but high test levels will thicken it according to some people. Heavy deadlifts, shrugs and general back and shoulder work will indirectly hit your neck because it helps to stabilise everything. This type of activity will lead to hypertrophy. I've never been sure about how safe neck machines are for all those reps. I would personally avoid those direct exercises because I have neck problems already. The best way to grow small bodyparts is to hit them in conjunction with others, same with the neck. I'm not sure how much size gain you see on such small muscles as the sternocleidomastoid or splenius when working them directly. They are very similar muscles to the wrist extensors, spindly and slow twitch. They don't have much capacity for growth. However, neck machines may be of some benefit, as long as you are careful and don't risk injury.
    Last edited by Flexor; 01-06-2006 at 01:47 PM.

sdfghsdfh

Flexor is offline Banned
    SwoleCat, will do as soon as my girlfriend gets back from Stockholm with my camera. No it's not that bad, but it's really annoying! I guess it's kind of long too and that is why it looks thin.

Flexor, thanks for the advise. I hate doing shrugs though, it doesn't feel that I get that much out of them. I like heavy deadlifts and they do hit the traps good. Could you please explain the hypertrophy issue some more?

Thanks! //AAS@HH
    I understand what you are saying about shrugs, for me they feel like a pathetic exercise even though they will lead to size gains. This is why I have recently been concentrating on deadlifts and medial delt work to work my traps, like yourself.

Now about the hypertrophy issue. Think of some smaller muscles such as the abs, forearm extensors (top side of your forearm) and others such as the neck and coracobrachialis (a tiny shoulder flexor that embeds beneath the medial head of your bicep - inner upper arm). These muscles will never be able to grow as much as the huge muscle groups because they are small to start with. They will only increase in size by a small amount and this takes time. Direct working is therefore not always the best action for working these muscles, because they don't have the capability of growing from direct damage stimuli.

Instead, working with heavier exercises will lead to an overall growth stimulus to all the muscles that were worked. So deadlifts will cause the neck to grow even though its fibres are not that damaged, because it is being told to grow by the body to keep up with the other muscles. Indirect stimuli are often better for smaller bodyparts, and that sometimes means even the bis and tris.

Hope I explained that okay.

Flexor, thanks! Yes, you explained it very good. I really appreciate the information you're giving me!

Flexor & SwoleCat, here are some pictures, it doesn't really look as bad here as it does on the pics my relatives took at christmas for example. But I'd really like a thicker and/or shorter neck.
    Last edited by AAS@HH; 02-10-2006 at 05:22 AM.

In all honestly, it looks pretty darn well accurately proportioned to me.

~SC~

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    In all honestly, it looks pretty darn well accurately proportioned to me.

~SC~
    I think so too, at least from the pics you have provided.

tuyoui

I think the second pic better shows what i mean. It doesn't look that bad on these pics I agree.

Canadiantiger is offline Associate Member
    Well all I need is juice, lots of food, and someone who yells at me during workout and I'll be all set!
    I want to look like SwoleCat, a big massive badass dude with a wide thick neck.
    Honestly I still feel my neck is a flaw. I guess I just have to accept my long neck.

I need 25 more pounds of muscle, then I'd be happy and satisfied. Having trouble to motivate myself to achieve that natural though. I'm kind of stuck where I am. Any suggestions how to get of the plateau I've been on for the last year?
    I found this link the other day. Usually I do not the prefer the website it is however from an author that is very well known and has alot of clinical and practical applications to is food intake suggestions. Work through it and see if you are eating close to what would be required to grow past your current plateau.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi41.htm

BTW I used to think I had a small neck. I just kept at heavy deadlifts and shrugs and that corrected itself.
    Last edited by Canadiantiger; 01-07-2006 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadiantiger
    I found this link the other day. Usually I do not the prefer the website it is however from an author that is very well known and has alot of clinical and practical applications to is food intake suggestions. Work through it and see if you are eating close to what would be required to grow past your current plateau.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi41.htm

BTW I used to think I had a small neck. I just kept at heavy deadlifts and shrugs and that corrected itself.
    Thanks dude! I'll check it up!
    Alright. You motivated me, I'll pick up the shrugs and I'll fckng deadlift my ass off. Anything to get some more meat on the neck!
    I really appreciate you sharing that you had kind of the same problem.
    Thanks for the link also!

All Marine is offline New Member
    You could do neck bridges also. This exercise is commonly used by amateur wrestlers and football players. These will fill in your neck pretty quickly but you must be extremely careful while doing them. If not done correctly, you could seriously injure yourself. When you first start I suggest you use your hands for support until you get the hang of it and build up strength.

mesomorph is offline Associate Member
    Sounds like you are natural & working out regularly? If so I think your starting point, as in first time I tried gear, would be about the same. I was 6-1 at 175, and had been lifting for years. Small neck back then too, 15".

I did buy a neck strap & used it for a while. It did help. But just the normal parts of the workout for traps & shoulders got it up to 17 once I was doing cycles. Up at 220 when I am lean now.

mesomorph is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by All Marine
    You could do neck bridges also. This exercise is commonly used by amateur wrestlers and football players. These will fill in your neck pretty quickly but you must be extremely careful while doing them. If not done correctly, you could seriously injure yourself. When you first start I suggest you use your hands for support until you get the hang of it and build up strength.
    I have a former Marine buddy into bridging and a lot of cool stuff. I could never get my bones to bend like that, it's awesome if you can. He is into Matt Furey, The mad Russian Pavel, kettlebells...

There is a lot of merit to those kinds of workouts for having lean mass, lean strength, speed, speed strength.... Good for sports performance, military service... Not the same as standard body building to say the least.

Thread Information