resistednormalcy is offline New Member

Two a day workouts. Good idea, or no?

I'm right in the middle of a 16 week Test Cyp cycle [500mg/wk], and I feel like my nutrition is in place, my workouts have been stellar, but I'm starting to plataeu in terms of growth.

I've gained 20 lbs in 9 weeks, and have another 7 weeks to go. I feel like I've made great gains so far, but I was considering up'n my routine to 2-a-day workouts.

I've been working out 5x a week, with 45 minutes cardio everyday. I feel like two-a-days might let me completely obliterate my muscles and take it to the next level. Just trying to get a second opinion on this, is this a good idea or no?

I was planning on hitting the same muscle group hard, twice, in the same day. [6am, 6pm] Double up on chest, bis, tris, back, and shoulders -- stick with my same leg routine.

I'd definitely appreciate any comments on this one.

Canadiantiger is offline Associate Member
    I would not recommend it IMO it would cause undo damage and possibly inhibit growth instead of creating it. I would suggest maybe increase cals by 500 or so and see what happens. I know the last time I cycled I had to keep ramping my calories for the same reason.

Pinnacle is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~ Cocky motherF*cker!
    Quote Originally Posted by resistednormalcy
    I was planning on hitting the same muscle group hard, twice, in the same day. [6am, 6pm] Double up on chest, bis, tris, back, and shoulders -- stick with my same leg routine.
    That's a piss poor idea to say the least.

Now if you were to train chest AM and come back and train Tri's PM.That's a whole different story.Actually,that's how I train.

Mon-Chest AM/PM Tri's/Delts
    Tues-Cardio
    Wednes-Back AM/PM Bi's/Abs
    Thurs-cardio
    Fri-Quads/Hams AM/PM calves/abs
    Sat-OFF
    Sun-Repeat mondays routine

~Pinnacle~

chest6 is offline Banned
    Twice a day the same exact muscle group is a bad idea. I also don't really see the need to do cardio everyday if you are running a bulking cycle and have one goal in mind- to increase mass.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle
    That's a piss poor idea to say the least.

Now if you were to train chest AM and come back and train Tri's PM.That's a whole different story.Actually,that's how I train.

Mon-Chest AM/PM Tri's/Delts
    Tues-Cardio
    Wednes-Back AM/PM Bi's/Abs
    Thurs-cardio
    Fri-Quads/Hams AM/PM calves/abs
    Sat-OFF
    Sun-Repeat mondays routine

~Pinnacle~
    An interesting routine. The actual split is exactly what I do except I shove an extra calf workout on tuesday. How do you find your energy levels after the morning workout by the time you come to your afternoon/evening workout? I don't see how you can do compound exercises for bis and tris after the back and chest workouts, because that would be training the same bodypart twice in a day..

Apart from any issue of overtraining, I would pull all my muscles if I attempted what you are doing. Once you have partially damaged your muscles with one workout, doing another later in the day isn't helping those muscles. As soon as you finish working out, WBCs flow out of the blood into the muscle and begin to break down the damaged proteins in preparation for the laying down of new protein in greater quantities than before. If you work out while this process is happening, you are more likely to pull a muscle because the level of microtrauma is even higher than when you worked out. I have experienced this first hand.

I'm interested in your opinion on this. Obviously this is working for you, so I'd like to know more about how you do this, because I know that YOU know what you are doing

Flex

Pinnacle is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~ Cocky motherF*cker!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    How do you find your energy levels after the morning workout by the time you come to your afternoon/evening workout? I don't see how you can do compound exercises for bis and tris after the back and chest workouts, because that would be training the same bodypart twice in a day..

Apart from any issue of overtraining, I would pull all my muscles if I attempted what you are doing. Once you have partially damaged your muscles with one workout, doing another later in the day isn't helping those muscles. As soon as you finish working out, WBCs flow out of the blood into the muscle and begin to break down the damaged proteins in preparation for the laying down of new protein in greater quantities than before. If you work out while this process is happening, you are more likely to pull a muscle because the level of microtrauma is even higher than when you worked out. I have experienced this first hand.

I'm interested in your opinion on this. Obviously this is working for you, so I'd like to know more about how you do this, because I know that YOU know what you are doing

Flex
    First off,my program isn't for trainee's that are natural.This is a rather advanced program.
    Another thing you need to take in consideration is,I only use 2 sets per body part.High intensity/low volume.So over working my secondary muscle isn't an issue by any means.I could see your point if I was doing 8-10 sets per body part.Not the case here.I also have muscle maturity on my side as well.
    Have you ever seen the studies done by the Bulgarian Olympic team?They used to have their power-lifters train 1 body part 6 x in 1 day.That's right,6 times in one day.It's all about rest and proper nutrition.
    Certainly after my morning training session I'm exhausted even doing 2 sets per body part.But the rest of my day is devoted to proper nutrition and supplements like liquid amino acid/glutamine ect.
    So for me,this is by far the best routine I've ever used,with the exception of the 3 day split combining back/bi's ect in 1 session.

~Pinnacle~

oldman is offline Anabolic Member
    I don't lift weights at all.. I take steroids and that is all.. I am freaking huge dude.. My waist is now a 54"er

Joking..

Hitting the same body part twice a day is horrible.. If you are working out correctly you will do enough muscle fiber damage in a single workout. More is NOT better when trying to grow bigger. Let me add that you do need to do More weight but adding extra sets is not going to necessarily make you bigger. Pinn's workout looks tough but more advanced than what I can handle.

Oldman

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle
    First off,my program isn't for trainee's that are natural.This is a rather advanced program.
    Another thing you need to take in consideration is,I only use 2 sets per body part.High intensity/low volume.So over working my secondary muscle isn't an issue by any means.I could see your point if I was doing 8-10 sets per body part.Not the case here.I also have muscle maturity on my side as well.
    Have you ever seen the studies done by the Bulgarian Olympic team?They used to have their power-lifters train 1 body part 6 x in 1 day.That's right,6 times in one day.It's all about rest and proper nutrition.
    Certainly after my morning training session I'm exhausted even doing 2 sets per body part.But the rest of my day is devoted to proper nutrition and supplements like liquid amino acid/glutamine ect.
    So for me,this is by far the best routine I've ever used,with the exception of the 3 day split combining back/bi's ect in 1 session.

~Pinnacle~
    Thanks, that is all I wanted to know. Yeah those Eastern Europeans are hardcore!! I thought you must be doing some kind of advanced HIT style routine for this to work, that saves the CNS whilst still destroying the muscles.

resistednormalcy is offline New Member
    Thanks for all the feedback.

I picked up some weight gainer -- I'll see if I can up my cals and get through this wall.

Overall, would I be better with less reps(5ish)/more weight or moderate reps(8ish)/heavy weight.. I know there's pros to both sides -- so I've been alternating every couple weeks, trying to keep my routine fresh.

Again, any input is appreciated.

24labor is offline Anabolic Member
    If your not growing check the diet you might think its in check but the weight you are at now might be the amount of kcals you need to maintain I would up to kcals

Thread Information