GetBiggg is offline Associate Member

Need help developing Lower Chest

Well here's my question. I want to better develope the lower part of my chest for the more rounded fuller look.
    I have a very thick middle section of my chest and developed upper but I feel like my lower chest is just not there.

I don't like decline, but if that's the best thing then I suppose I can add it.
    I know an extra wide grip bench press targets the lower chest more which i've recently started doing, as well as cable flys, which I do now.

however are there any other techniques / ideas / anything?

Thanks

getbig.

weighted dips will seriously build up your lower chest. gives my chest that squared off look

yeah that's the look i'm goin for... I got a hmm.. ah.. square minus the bottom at the moment...
    hah - well not that bad, but you get the idea.

thanks, anyone else?

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GetBiggg
    yeah that's the look i'm goin for... I got a hmm.. ah.. square minus the bottom at the moment...
    hah - well not that bad, but you get the idea.

thanks, anyone else?

i'm in the same boat - but with me its genetics
    ive been doin weighted dips, declies and cables till theyre comming out my ears and i still cant get that definition under the nipple - that squared off look that was mentioned

saying that i did notice a little improvement with the weighted dips and also i found my chest more shapely as i dropped body fat

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GetBiggg
    Well here's my question. I want to better develope the lower part of my chest for the more rounded fuller look.
    I have a very thick middle section of my chest and developed upper but I feel like my lower chest is just not there.

I don't like decline, but if that's the best thing then I suppose I can add it.
    I know an extra wide grip bench press targets the lower chest more which i've recently started doing, as well as cable flys, which I do now.

however are there any other techniques / ideas / anything?

Thanks

getbig.
    An extra wide bench grip doesn't target the lower chest more. It reduces emphasis on the shoulders and triceps and therefore shifts load onto the pecs as a whole. You cannot target the lower portion of the chest, only the sternal pec which accounts for the lower chest mass. You say you have a good middle chest, that is still your lower pec. Hit the weighted dips as the others have said. Also you can do decline db, not barbell. Shape is something you cannot change, and it will vary across the whole sternal pec head. Just as incline will only work the tiny band at the top of your chest and not the upper portion of your chest that is still the lower pec. The lower pec runs right the way up the sternum to to your neck.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Your profile is not filled out and you provide no information about yourself but I'll assume you are a young beginner-intermediate bodybuilder trying to "reshape" your chest...

The lower chest, or pec major, can be attequately trained using the flat press - I personally believe the decline bench to be too drastic of an angle. How often do you really see people needing more decline work anyway? Usually the lacking chest muscle is the pec mino, or upper pecs.

IMO - stick with heavy flat barbell presses, and you could even alternate barbell and dumbell training days using the flat bench for more overall fiber recruitment. And dumbell flyes should be done with a nice wide stretch - vision yourself wrapping your arms around a tree - proceeding your heavy benches. As you get more mass from these movements - the lower pec fills in just fine, without deline work... get in there, lift your ass off 100 percent - take no prisoners... and watch it fill in.

This is generalized advice - if you could provide more info and possible pics... it would be easier to understand what you need... even your height and overall body structure cuold be playing a big role here...

I'm 6'0 200lbs. I'm not a beginner - i've been lifting for 4 years now solidly.

I hit my chest hard, and often - I just seem to have visibly less lower chest
    maybe just something I have to work extra hard on. Or maybe a BF issue. Although i'm not overweight.

i'll try to get some pics at some point today.

my chest routine roughly consists of barbell flat bench, dumbell flat bench, dumbell incline, cable flys / crosses, dumbell flys, finish with body weight dips sometimes... varied up to keep things different obviously.

I don't do decline b/c I don't really see a whole lot of benefit from it. plus I don't like the angle, makes me nervous for my shoulders.

I think for now i'll try stepping up the dips that I do, add some weight to em

thanks for the tips guys

I'm 6'0 200lbs. I'm not a beginner - i've been lifting for 4 years now solidly.

I hit my chest hard, and often - I just seem to have visibly less lower chest
    maybe just something I have to work extra hard on. Or maybe a BF issue. Although i'm not overweight.

i'll try to get some pics at some point today.

my chest routine roughly consists of barbell flat bench, dumbell flat bench, dumbell incline, cable flys / crosses, dumbell flys, finish with body weight dips sometimes... varied up to keep things different obviously.

I don't do decline b/c I don't really see a whole lot of benefit from it. plus I don't like the angle, makes me nervous for my shoulders.

I think for now i'll try stepping up the dips that I do, add some weight to em

thanks for the tips guys

Thread Information