aspengc8 is offline Junior Member

Opinions on Rest-Pause?

Im looking for some info/opinions on rest pause sets. Ive seen 2 types of RP training:
    1.) you complete 1 rep, rack the weight, rest 10-15 sec, then complete another (repeat).
    2.) you complete a set with desired weight, rack + rest 15 sec, then complete another set, rack + rest, repeat till you cant get 1 rep.

I've tried method 2 on arm day. My entire workout consisted of 1 rest pause set per excercise. 3 different excersises for tri's, 2 for bi's. They were blasted, and sore the next day. Not to mention entire workout took around 40 mins.

Is this ok to perform every week? How about major muscle groups? For example, with back.
    Normal Deads - 4 sets 4-8 reps
    Then for Bent over rows, pulldowns, rear delt & shrugs, just perform 1 rest pause set (type 2) w/moderate - heavy weight?
    Opinions Please!

Flexor is offline Banned
    Yeah you can do it every week, you won't overtrain because the sets are low. The CNS is not taxed as heavily as high volume routines, but the muscles are taxed more, and that is what you want. In terms of each bodypart its fine to do it once a week, but you may overtax your body as a whole. One session of it is fine for the CNS, but two days in a row not such a good idea for example.

When I do rest pause I do this.

Complete set of 10 to failure ---> Rest 15 seconds complete another 4 reps for a total of 14

Or I do rest-pause drops by...

Completing a set of 10 to failure ---> drop weight and rest 15 seconds and whack out another 10 reps.

I prefer the latter because I can get more reps and you have completed far more work. Here are the calculations.

1 set of 10 @ 100 + 4 = 1400

1 set of 10 @ 100 + 10 @ 80lbs = 1800

The figures may be slightly exaggerated because I don't have anything accurate here, but the theory applies.
    Last edited by Flexor; 01-10-2006 at 01:07 PM.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aspengc8
    Im looking for some info/opinions on rest pause sets. Ive seen 2 types of RP training:
    1.) you complete 1 rep, rack the weight, rest 10-15 sec, then complete another (repeat).
    2.) you complete a set with desired weight, rack + rest 15 sec, then complete another set, rack + rest, repeat till you cant get 1 rep.
    I use a method 1.. and a couple variations of it.

Is this ok to perform every week?
    I personally think it's ok to perform every week. Still, like other techniques which take you past failure, it can be taxing on the CNS.. so discretion should be used in determining how many times per week it's used.. and on how many bodyparts.

How about major muscle groups? For example, with back.
    Normal Deads - 4 sets 4-8 reps
    Then for Bent over rows, pulldowns, rear delt & shrugs, just perform 1 rest pause set (type 2) w/moderate - heavy weight?
    Opinions Please!
    I don't think it's applicable with deads... The potential for injury is higher.. especially seeing that it's best used when trying to work at, or near, your 1 rep max.

I've used it on bent rows.. was hella tiring on my spinal erectors... I don't think one could use it on more than on exercises per session... not productively at least.

I've used it on chest... doing 10 sets...each at my 1 rep max.. etc.

I've used it on delts...

~Narkissos

Yeah I wouldnt use RP with Deads, Squats or SLDL. Chest, and other smaller muscles yes. Thanks for the input guys!

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    I've used it on chest... doing 10 sets...each at my 1 rep max.. etc.

~Narkissos
    Sounds very effective Nark. I should try it with lower reps as well, see how I feel with it.

SuperChicken1 is offline Junior Member
    You are basically talking about a DC style training program. There are exercises that you don't want to RP such as deads (it is usually a safety issue but some muscles can really get overtrianed doing RP but of course some of us can and some of us can't for a given muscle group... take a look at the material over at IntenseMuscle.com in the DC forum...

SuperChicken1

I dont want to make this a DC discussion, but I think DC style was 1 excercise per bodypart? Im thinking about doing multiple excercises per bodypart using RP, except for Deads, Squats. I will try RP for Bent over rows cause I do them on Hammer strength (the one thats angled to sim a BOR).

Thread Information